Joined 5465 days ago

450 posts - 624 votes 
Speaks: Hindi, Urdu*, Arabic (Levantine), French, English
Studies: Persian, Spanish

Message 41 of 169
29 September 2009 at 4:58am | IP Logged 
datsunking1 wrote:
If universal health care passes, doctors salaries will be capped at
60 grand, and I wouldn't be able to pay off my loans.
-Jordan

I hate to create a political debate, but I am certain that American doctors will continue
to make much, much, more than $60,000 even with universal health care. If you've got a
source saying otherwise, I'd be really interested in seeing it.
3 persons have voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6167 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 42 of 169
29 September 2009 at 5:00am | IP Logged 
Please try to keep the thread on topic. I've had to delete a number of posts that were politically charged and off topic.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Lingua
Decaglot
United States
Joined 5364 days ago

186 posts - 319 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Danish, French, Norwegian, Portuguese, Dutch

Message 43 of 169
29 September 2009 at 5:07am | IP Logged 
newyorkeric wrote:
I've had to delete a number of posts that were politically charged and off topic.

Thanks for deleting those posts.

Edited by Lingua on 29 September 2009 at 5:09am

1 person has voted this message useful

OneEye
Diglot
Japan
Joined 6638 days ago

518 posts - 784 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, Taiwanese, German, French

Message 44 of 169
29 September 2009 at 6:06am | IP Logged 
I majored in music and never ended up with a career in it. Never tried all that hard to get one, either. For me, all the studying ruined it for a while and I didn't play or compose for a few years. I do now, but just as a hobby, not professionally.

I worked in retail management for several years after college, and just recently decided to go back to school. I'm majoring in Chinese and double minoring in Japanese and Art History. My plan is to go on to a PhD and pursue a career in university teaching and research. My actual research interests aren't fully developed, but I think it will be somewhere in the fields of Chinese Historical Linguistics and Dialectology, or in East Asian Art History. Both are fascinating to me. I'm also interested in the history of the Chinese writing system itself, and its use in other languages (Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, and other "dialects" of Chinese), so that may also be a possibility. I'm sure I'll try to do some tutoring, translation, and maybe even interpretation work on the side to get myself through grad school.
1 person has voted this message useful

james1
Korea, South
Joined 5412 days ago

121 posts - 145 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 45 of 169
29 September 2009 at 7:06am | IP Logged 

I majored in History.

I think that was a huge mistake.

I could have learned more about history if I just started reading books and learning about history. Did I really need to Major in it?

After school, I found this to be a useless major. Majoring in History never gave me any advantage for any job I applied to.    

Companies are looking for skills, not smart people or educated people. So, if I tell a company, yes I majored in History, usually, we laugh about it. They might say, "What were you thinking, hahaha" of course. I laugh as well.

Now, I work in HR, at a company. It is funny because when we hire people. We look for skills. If someone tells me that they majored History, English Literature, Languages, I always laugh.

Furthermore,
Don't let people convince you money in not important when picking a major.
Remember, don't take advice from "unmarried people" or "other students"

If you ever want to get married and have kids.
They will want,
Money.....Dollar bills....Bucks....The Green Stuff
Lots and lots of Cash Money.

Picking your major will have a big effect on your life.

So, I am thinking like a parent here.
Hey, If you were my kid, I would say this.

Major in something usefull,
ie. business, finance, economics, tax, insurance...
Minor in your love, languages etc...

Good at language + skill = Value
Good at language + No skill = Homeless

9 persons have voted this message useful

Glendonian
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 5505 days ago

26 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: French*, English*
Studies: German, Italian

Message 46 of 169
29 September 2009 at 7:45am | IP Logged 
james1 wrote:
Majoring in History never gave me any advantage for any job I applied to.    

I'm a History major. I really don't like this kind of attitude. Did you go into it when you were 18 thinking that it
would give you an advantage? Why on Earth did you think that? Just because you didn't think your education
through doesn't mean there's no value to a liberal arts degree.

I can certainly understand and respect someone choosing to study a trade (like plumbing, hairdressing,
engineering) in order to be employable, but if you made a mistake it doesn't call for telling students that they
should sacrifice cultivating themselves for the sake of a bigger paycheque. Who stops after a BA? Everyone I
seem to have met has undergone much more training before entering the workforce. I do very menial work and
support myself very modestly indeed. I wouldn't trade my current pursuit of a background in History for
anything.

A bachelor's degree is essentially the new high school diploma - everyone has one, and all it does is certify basic
competence and a modicum of perseverance. Like a high school diploma used to be. Like some of the posters
above me have said, it doesn't matter to your career what the actual content of your very first degree was.

james1 wrote:
So, if I tell a company, yes I majored in History, usually, we laugh about it. They might say,
"What were you thinking, hahaha" of course. I laugh as well.

What am *I* thinking? I'm thinking that I want to be an educated person, at least if it will help me get there to do
something as trivial as an undergraduate degree. That said,

james1 wrote:
Money.....Dollar bills....Bucks....The Green Stuff
Lots and lots of Cash Money.

I don't live in a country where a single year of education costs tens of thousands of dollars for tuition alone, so I
might have made different choices had I been born somewhere where people with my values are far less
fortunate.

10 persons have voted this message useful

james1
Korea, South
Joined 5412 days ago

121 posts - 145 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 47 of 169
29 September 2009 at 10:19am | IP Logged 

Glendonian,

You dont have to bash my opinions. You can just talk about your own.

If you like History. Good for you.

I majored in History and it was fun and interesting.

Money, is not so important to me.
But, I am going to have kids.
Kids value money.

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6224 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Korean*, GermanC1
Studies: Hindi, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 48 of 169
29 September 2009 at 11:40am | IP Logged 
james1 wrote:

Glendonian,

You dont have to bash my opinions. You can just talk about your own.

If you like History. Good for you.

I majored in History and it was fun and interesting.

Money, is not so important to me.
But, I am going to have kids.
Kids value money.

It's not that kids value money (well, not all of them), they NEED money. I used to have a different mindframe, but the past year has changed my philosophy on everything.

Just think about this, how would you feel if you can't send your kids to an Ivy League school or Oxbridge even if they got accepted, only because you don't have money. I think as a parent, that would be the most tragic feeling one could get: not being able to provide something that could change your children's lives and something they deserve, only because you don't have enough.

------------------------------------------------------------ -------

Going back to the original question, I still haven't gotten into university, but now I'm applying for more "employable" majors like Economics and International Relations. Cruel realities of life are finally kicking into my brain circuit.

This discussion contains 169 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version