Switzerland
Joined 5201 days ago

388 posts - 549 votes 
Speaks: French*, German*, EnglishC1, Swiss-German, Hungarian
Studies: Italian, Serbo-Croatian

Message 145 of 169
07 April 2011 at 8:24am | IP Logged 
Hi,

A strong wish of mine was to study medecine in Hungary, at least for the B.Sc and then go back to Switzerland and finish my education there.

Well... the tution fees are much higher in Hungary than in Switzerland and my parents were not sure that they could pay these fees. Actually, they couldn't.

So I choose medecine in Basel (because it's the only university who offers also Hungarian as a language). But I noted that the medecine studies in Switzerland are really really close. A friend of mine studied Biology (in Basel too), changed after two years in medecine, and guess what ? They didn't recognized any of the courses he followed. :(

So, I think that if I went to study in Hungary, Switzerland wouldn't have recognized anything.

Have anyone studied medecine ? I want to take Hungarian classes along, but I wonder if it's too much.
1 person has voted this message useful

thebigM
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4766 days ago

3 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Swedish

Message 146 of 169
13 April 2011 at 3:44pm | IP Logged 
BA language degrees are well respected in the UK and language graduates have pretty good employment prospects after graduation. Choosing a language as a degree is a good solid degree and can open up some interesting careers.
I would not discourage anyone from doing a languages degree and is of much more use than say an English, History, Pyschology, Business or Social Sciences Degree
2 persons have voted this message useful

jondesousa
Tetraglot
United States
goo.gl/Zgg3nRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6056 days ago

227 posts - 297 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Mandarin, Spanish

Message 147 of 169
13 April 2011 at 4:07pm | IP Logged 
I would have liked to have studied languages in college; however, as someone once told me, "language doesn't pay the bills". So I went to college to study engineering. Now, I have my plastics engineering masters and bachelors degree and study languages in my free time. As I write this, I (who live in the US) am in Shenzhen China and have just finished having a delicious dinner followed by copious amounts of sujou and have had a wonderful evening with my Asian colleagues speaking in English, a little Korean, lots of Japanese, and a fair amount of Mandarin. The moral of the story: even if you don't follow your dreams exactly as you would like, God will find a way to help you follow them; however indirectly.

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4826 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 148 of 169
13 April 2011 at 5:44pm | IP Logged 
I have a bachelor's degree in music education. During the same time, I was considering doing a Spanish minor, but I could not fit it into my schedule. My master's degree is in Library Science.

I agree with others who have stated that having a language degree is actually an asset. quite often in the USA, it's not the actual course of study that is so important as just having completed a degree program. The choice of jobs after that can be many and varied.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5639 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 149 of 169
13 April 2011 at 8:27pm | IP Logged 
I did a Romance Philology study for 3 years without finishing it.

It was formally a "Magisterstudium" and my major subject was Spanish literature and linguistics with two minor subjects: Italian linguistics and pedagogics.

I attended as well courses in French, Latin and Portuguese at the same university, but they wouldn't have counted for my "Magister" exam.

Fasulye

Sanghee
Groupie
United States
Joined 4860 days ago

60 posts - 98 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, Korean

Message 150 of 169
13 April 2011 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
I'm majoring in Computer Engineering (a mixture of Computer Science with Electrical Engineering). I study Korean in my free time; it's not offered at my uni and I'd be very tempted to take it if it were offered. My uni does offer some intro Mandarin courses that I wish I could take since I plan to study that in the future, but my schedule is already too full with engineering classes that I can't justify the extra expense and time of taking those classes. Plus the times conflict with my required classes. I do wish my uni offered a study abroad program for South Korea, but it doesn't and I'd have to shell out thousands of dollars to do that.

So, I study in my free time but I try to treat Korean like a class. Even if that means all I do in a specific day is go to class, study, do homework, and study Korean, I still manage to study for almost 1 hour every day. I've surprised myself that I've been able to maintain this for the full Spring semester which is almost over, and I currently have A's in every class which is better than my previous semesters [I'm only noting this because I had been afraid that Korean would cut out time for my classes and I'd either take a break from it or my ability in my classes would suffer]. I'm not sure how much Korean (and in the future, Mandarin) will help me, but I figure it cant hurt. I study for enjoyment though. Of course the prospect of potentially working with a Korean company in the future is nice too. :)

[But I'm really looking forward to this summer. Not going to take any classes and I cant wait to be able to study Korean for 2+ hours a day, watch more dramas and movies, and to familiarize myself with Mandarin on the side to prepare for the future without worrying about tests and etc ^-^]

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6374 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 151 of 169
13 April 2011 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
I studied mechanical engineering and design and work full-time as a mechanical engineer. It supports my
hobby by earning me enough money so I can do things like take a year off work and live in China.

Edited by Ari on 14 April 2011 at 6:16pm

noriyuki_nomura
Bilingual Octoglot
Switzerland
Joined 5132 days ago

304 posts - 465 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Japanese, FrenchC2, GermanC2, ItalianC1, SpanishB2, DutchB1
Studies: TurkishA1, Korean

Message 152 of 169
14 April 2011 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
I have a Bachelor Degree in Electrical Engineering and a Masters in Finance. And as I am currently living and working in Zurich, Switzerland, I have the chance to speak (mainly) German, and occasionally French (very rarely to be precise). When I was in Singapore, I had the opportunity to work in one of the biggest investment banks based purely on the fact that I speak Japanese and Mandarin (and English of course), since I think that narrowed down the competition somewhat....

From my personal experience, I don't think French is that critical career-wise, because first and foremost, there are hardly any jobs available in France to begin with (since employers are so unwilling to employ new staff; plus a rather high unemployment rate), and even less so for non-EU citizens.

Despite all this, I am still a big fan of French culture and language, and I am currently looking into taking up a Masters in Translation (English/French/German) through long-distance learning from a UK university, since I am interested to study translation (and linguistics) from an academic manner....and simply out of pure interest. Besides, for someone of my background, no university will accept me directly into linguistics (masters level)...hence, I hope that the translation route might get me closer to express and realize my passion for languages and linguistics :)

ps: I totally agree with the forum participants before me that, one has to be fluent in the foreign language(s) that he/she speaks for the employers to find your 'foreign language skills' useful...ie. no "20-phrases" language skills...

Edited by noriyuki_nomura on 14 April 2011 at 4:48pm

This discussion contains 169 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version