If you went to college what did you major

Language Learning Forum : Languages & Work Post Reply
169 messages over 22 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 8 ... 21 22 Next >>
Belardur
Octoglot
Germany
Joined 5403 days ago

148 posts - 195 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2, Spanish, Dutch, Latin, Ancient Greek, French, Lowland Scots
Studies: Biblical Hebrew, Italian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, Korean

Message 57 of 169
29 September 2009 at 7:54pm | IP Logged 
OneEye wrote:
sebngwa3 wrote:
OneEye wrote:
I know plenty of people who have liberal arts degrees who are very successful. I also know several who don't even have a degree and are making upwards of $200,000 per year. It makes no sense to major in something you don't like, to get a job you don't like, just because you think you'll make more money.

What kind of jobs did the successful liberal arts degree majors get?

Does it really matter? Is one type of job inherently better than another?

But to answer your question, some of them own their own businesses, some of them are lawyers (many law schools actually prefer a humanities/liberal arts undergrad degree), some of them are museum curators, some are in retail management (which in some companies can pay very well once you reach District or Regional manager level), etc. Some have gone on to advanced degrees in the same field as their undergrad degree, and are now college professors (which can pay quite well depending on the school). One of them does nails and makeup for celebrities and makes over $300,000 per year. She majored in French.

Your success in life has much less to do with your choice of major (especially your choice of undergrad major) than it does with your determination, people skills, intelligence, work ethic, etc. Sometimes you just have to go out and create opportunity. It seems like many people have the mindset that "business" (meaning corporate work) is the only viable career option, and that you must major in business, accounting, finance, or something similar in order to succeed in life. This just simply isn't true.

I think the core here though is that they are working in a field different from what they studied, aside from the professors, yes? I'm not saying don't major in what you are passionate about, just that you have to have a plan - much like you've said. And realize that even though you are passionate about it doesn't mean you will have a successful career in it.

Addendum: I think this sort of decision, furthering one's education for personal development and not to learn a skill set and earn money is actually better than the alternative - so please don't misconstrue my position.

sebngwa3 wrote:
College professors of language only earns between 30-40k.

Completely untrue. Period. Care to substantiate why you think this? Because I can give you regional average salaries for professors of all subjects at all levels of education, from community college to high-rep institutions. I think there's no region/institution/education combination that hits below 40k PLUS benefits. (In the US, as that's where you have the location and where I have the info for).

Edited by Belardur on 29 September 2009 at 7:57pm

1 person has voted this message useful

OneEye
Diglot
Japan
Joined 6642 days ago

518 posts - 784 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, Taiwanese, German, French

Message 58 of 169
29 September 2009 at 8:39pm | IP Logged 
sebngwa3 wrote:
You can start a business without a college degree. All you need is some egg-nest.

Your point? I answered the question. And you're kind of emphasizing my whole point here. Your undergrad major (or lack thereof) has little bearing on your success in life.

Quote:
90-something percent of lawyers hate their jobs. Museum curators -- not very many jobs.

Again, your point? You asked me what types of jobs people had been successful in with a liberal arts degree. I answered. Those people are successful, and they had liberal arts degrees in undergrad.

If a lawyer hates his job, it's his own fault for choosing the wrong career (or for the wrong reasons). It is NOT the fault of a liberal arts degree, which is what is being discussed.

Quote:
College professors of language only earns between 30-40k.

Like Belardur said, this is completely untrue. Hell, I could make more than that teaching high school here in TX (I've seen starting salary as high as $45,000 for elementary school teachers). Average salary for full professors at University of Texas is $132,000 and for Assistant Professors it is about $82,000. Not too shabby, and that's without considering any other income a professor may earn (through presentations, publication, translation work, etc). Another thing to keep in mind is how fast the salaries are rising for higher education. Ten years ago the same positions would have earned $89,000 and $54,000 respectively. This increase is quite a bit higher than inflation in that period.

I guess I'm curious why you seem to dismiss the examples I gave as invalid just because of your personal feelings about the specific jobs. I wasn't trying to give you a recommendation for a career choice, I was trying to give you an idea of how diverse the possibilities are with a liberal arts degree.

Quote:
I think the core here though is that they are working in a field different from what they studied, aside from the professors, yes? I'm not saying don't major in what you are passionate about, just that you have to have a plan - much like you've said. And realize that even though you are passionate about it doesn't mean you will have a successful career in it.

Addendum: I think this sort of decision, furthering one's education for personal development and not to learn a skill set and earn money is actually better than the alternative - so please don't misconstrue my position.

Well, the curators too. Art history degrees, both of them.

I agree with all of this. People can't expect to just major in anything and then go out and be successful. I think that this is part of the problem with people's perception of a liberal arts degree. So many people are told "just do what you love and you'll be successful," and then they do just that only to discover that it takes much more than liking something to be successful with it. I discovered that with music. I love music, but I don't have the drive it takes to really have a successful career in music. And it took me a while to figure that out, which is ok because in the meantime I discovered that I do have the drive and passion for language and academia.
4 persons have voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6171 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 59 of 169
30 September 2009 at 2:46am | IP Logged 
Data on faculty salaries are available so we can at least remove that aspect from the debate. According to the Chronicle of Higher Education (a well-respected paper if you don't know it), the average salaries for faculty in 4 year colleges and 4 year universities in "Foreign languages, literatures and linguistics" for 2008-09 are as follows:

Instructor $42,080
New Assistant Professor $61,377
Assistant Professor $61,851
Associate Professor $73,510
Professor $92,875

A couple of points to consider when interpreting the data. 4 year colleges and universities will offer the highest salaries so these numbers are an overestimate of average salaries of all college and university professors. Also, the salaries of an Associate Professor and Professor seem high, but these are hard positions to obtain. Many intelligent, hard-working PhD holders will never get there.

Edited by newyorkeric on 30 September 2009 at 4:47pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Glendonian
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 5509 days ago

26 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: French*, English*
Studies: German, Italian

Message 60 of 169
30 September 2009 at 3:24am | IP Logged 
OneEye wrote:
So many people are told "just do what you love and you'll be successful," and then they do just
that only to discover that it takes much more than liking something to be successful with it.

Indeed. I think that young people choosing their majors take this way too far. In reality, people who tell them
this have a sort of secret agenda. That agenda is for them to study what they like, so that they'll meet people,
discover new things they weren't interested in before, and find out about options that they never knew they had
over the course of the four (long) years before they turn 22 or so and get their bachelor's degrees, having turned
into completely different people from the ones that they had been four years prior. Then go on to be
"successful," very likely in an unrelated field.

Except they're not told that this wonderful "success" they're bound to attain will be in an unrelated field. So they
get the idea that studying Assyriology or Gender Studies will doom them to failure because there are no jobs
that require those qualifications, and then go around telling each other to take "business economics" and
what-have-you. Perhaps adults should clarify the situation for them instead of engaging in misleading and
saccharine sloganeering. Not so that they'll act differently, but just to have a better idea of the diversity of forms
that their future careers may take.

I remember this at the end of high school (pretty recently). All that could be heard amongst my graduating class
was talk of applications to universities and programmes of study, and there was a strong set that went around
saying "what are you going to do with that?" (many adults can be heard asking young people the same
question). They were the same ones who thought that all the universities in Canada were part of a hierarchy and
must necessarily be "better" and "worse" than each other. How many, at 35, will have the lives that they
thought they would have when they were seventeen or eighteen years old?

Belardur
Octoglot
Germany
Joined 5403 days ago

148 posts - 195 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2, Spanish, Dutch, Latin, Ancient Greek, French, Lowland Scots
Studies: Biblical Hebrew, Italian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, Korean

Message 61 of 169
30 September 2009 at 8:49am | IP Logged 
One might also note that for a very long time, the point of higher education was to make one a better person, not teach a skill set. We've largely lost that intent, and it's had an effect on the culture. In the west, at least, we have a great segment of the population that works hard enough to get through and earn money to enjoy the free time, but without said personal development, that enjoyment is "party culture." When the masses of Rome discovered they could vote themselves bread and circuses, what happened?

Mortimer Adler is a good viewpoint on the philosophy of education that somewhat treats this, if anyone is interested.

newyorkeric, those figures are with or without additional benefits (health care, retirement, etc.)? I'm assuming without. The easiest source I can lay my hands on is the report for professors of philosophy from the APA (hey, it's my field), and without benefits is the only way I can see a close correlation - though I will say that it seems average salaries for language and literature instructors are somewhat lower.
3 persons have voted this message useful

ymapazagain
Australia
myspace.com/amywiles
Joined 6751 days ago

504 posts - 538 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: SpanishB2

Message 62 of 169
30 September 2009 at 9:06am | IP Logged 
For my first degree I majored in contemporary music and for my second degree I am majoring in philosophy.

Neither of these are particularly useful, but when I was 18 I had no idea what I wanted from my life, and to be honest I am still working that out now at 25. In the mean time I am exploring the things I am interested in and learning more about myself and the world as I go along.

When I do finally make the decision of "this is what I want to be when I grow up" (and I'm getting closer!) I know it will be the right decision and one that I will be happy with. Right now I am fine with being a poor muso/student!

As for whether or not it would be worth studying a language at university, I think it depends on the language for me. Spanish I learned on my own however my years of attempting Russian have been with little reward. I think I would really benefit from the structure of a university course for learning Russian and I am considering doing a diploma in Russian once I have finished my philosophy degree.

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6171 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 63 of 169
30 September 2009 at 10:39am | IP Logged 
Belardur wrote:
newyorkeric, those figures are with or without additional benefits (health care, retirement, etc.)? I'm assuming without. The easiest source I can lay my hands on is the report for professors of philosophy from the APA (hey, it's my field), and without benefits is the only way I can see a close correlation - though I will say that it seems average salaries for language and literature instructors are somewhat lower.

Yes, the numbers include just salaries. Here is the link if anyone is interested.

http://chronicle.texterity.com/chroniclesample/20090313-samp le/?pg=10.

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6228 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Korean*, GermanC1
Studies: Hindi, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 64 of 169
30 September 2009 at 11:36am | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:
Jiwon, I would study subjects where you are really interested in, not only think in terms of job prospects. The best would be both, of course.

Fasulye

Well, I used to think so until a few months ago. But a few personal things I've experienced during that time made me rethink about my outlook on life and what I wanted to achieve in my life. It's not that I want money myself. But it turns out that I NEED money, since my ideal life consists of being married to an understanding spouse, having at least 4 children, with 6 hedgehogs, 2 labrador retrievers, a dachshund and a penguin. If I had other ambitions (such as to just chill out and find out about myself, etc.), I would consider doing different subjects. But since that's not the case, I've applied for Economics and International Relations, since these two don't really irritate me much and I'm comparatively better at them than my peers.

Yeah.. and I'm SERIOUS about children and pets part. :)

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 169 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version