If you went to college what did you major

Language Learning Forum : Languages & Work Post Reply
169 messages over 22 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 ... 21 22 Next >>
Belardur
Octoglot
Germany
Joined 5403 days ago

148 posts - 195 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2, Spanish, Dutch, Latin, Ancient Greek, French, Lowland Scots
Studies: Biblical Hebrew, Italian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, Korean

Message 65 of 169
30 September 2009 at 11:53am | IP Logged 
Jiwon wrote:
Fasulye wrote:
Jiwon, I would study subjects where you are really interested in, not only think in terms of job prospects. The best would be both, of course.

Fasulye

Well, I used to think so until a few months ago. But a few personal things I've experienced during that time made me rethink about my outlook on life and what I wanted to achieve in my life. It's not that I want money myself. But it turns out that I NEED money, since my ideal life consists of being married to an understanding spouse, having at least 4 children, with 6 hedgehogs, 2 labrador retrievers, a dachshund and a penguin. If I had other ambitions (such as to just chill out and find out about myself, etc.), I would consider doing different subjects. But since that's not the case, I've applied for Economics and International Relations, since these two don't really irritate me much and I'm comparatively better at them than my peers.

Yeah.. and I'm SERIOUS about children and pets part. :)

If you can find a balance, doing something at least that you don't hate and achieving your desires, go for it - just don't hate your job to enjoy your life, because that never seems to work.

Also, you live in the land of the 12+-hour work day, so....but again, I'd say there's a large cultural difference coming into play here (work ethic, family primacy, shame vs. guilt, etc.). So if it works for you, in whatever way, I'm happy for you!
1 person has voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5639 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 66 of 169
30 September 2009 at 11:55am | IP Logged 
Jiwon wrote:
I NEED money, since my ideal life consists of being married to an understanding spouse, having at least 4 children, with 6 hedgehogs, 2 labrador retrievers, a dachshund and a penguin. Yeah.. and I'm SERIOUS about children and pets part. :)

Your're right, having children is very expensive and it get's more expensive as the children grow older. I've heard this from other people. Having many animals will be expensive, too. Then you really need a well-payed job. I was also VERY ambitious, when I was at your age. But for professional success there is no guarantee. Hopefully you can realize those many wishes...

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 30 September 2009 at 11:58am

2 persons have voted this message useful

sebngwa3
Diglot
United States
Joined 5956 days ago

200 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: Korean*, English

Message 67 of 169
30 September 2009 at 4:14pm | IP Logged 
Sorry about my inaccurate info on the salaries of professors' salaries.

Edited by sebngwa3 on 30 September 2009 at 4:15pm

Belardur
Octoglot
Germany
Joined 5403 days ago

148 posts - 195 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2, Spanish, Dutch, Latin, Ancient Greek, French, Lowland Scots
Studies: Biblical Hebrew, Italian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, Korean

Message 68 of 169
30 September 2009 at 5:32pm | IP Logged 
sebngwa3 wrote:
Sorry about my inaccurate info on the salaries of professors' salaries.

No one is upset, or, at least I'm not, LOL. Where did you get those numbers, anyway?

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6228 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Korean*, GermanC1
Studies: Hindi, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 69 of 169
30 September 2009 at 6:22pm | IP Logged 
Belardur wrote:
Jiwon wrote:
Fasulye wrote:
Jiwon, I would study subjects where you are really interested in, not only think in terms of job prospects. The best would be both, of course.

Fasulye

Well, I used to think so until a few months ago. But a few personal things I've experienced during that time made me rethink about my outlook on life and what I wanted to achieve in my life. It's not that I want money myself. But it turns out that I NEED money, since my ideal life consists of being married to an understanding spouse, having at least 4 children, with 6 hedgehogs, 2 labrador retrievers, a dachshund and a penguin. If I had other ambitions (such as to just chill out and find out about myself, etc.), I would consider doing different subjects. But since that's not the case, I've applied for Economics and International Relations, since these two don't really irritate me much and I'm comparatively better at them than my peers.

Yeah.. and I'm SERIOUS about children and pets part. :)

If you can find a balance, doing something at least that you don't hate and achieving your desires, go for it - just don't hate your job to enjoy your life, because that never seems to work.

Also, you live in the land of the 12+-hour work day, so....but again, I'd say there's a large cultural difference coming into play here (work ethic, family primacy, shame vs. guilt, etc.). So if it works for you, in whatever way, I'm happy for you!

Urgh.. Korean work ethics are crazy.. I would really like to get a job outside Korea, but I don't think working in Korea wouldn't also be too bad. It would at least make me grateful for any other work conditions overseas if I could cope with strict Korean conditinos.

Glendonian
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 5509 days ago

26 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: French*, English*
Studies: German, Italian

Message 70 of 169
30 September 2009 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
Even the penguin?

I was intellectually starved and unhappy in elementary school. Here in Toronto, the cost of sending two children
(and there were three of us) to private school is just shy of the average Canadian household income. I can certainly
see the advantage of having lots of money for your family, provided it gets invested in good things like this. My
parents would have liked to be loaded enough for that.

JasonBourne
Groupie
United States
Joined 5544 days ago

65 posts - 111 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Arabic (Written), Turkish

Message 71 of 169
30 September 2009 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
'09 graduate
Economics Major w/ Japanese Studies Minor
Magna Cum Laude
$30,000 debt
ZERO job prospects

Education: worthless since 2009

Edited by JasonBourne on 30 September 2009 at 9:47pm

delta910
Diglot
United States
Joined 5667 days ago

267 posts - 313 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, German

Message 72 of 169
30 September 2009 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
What if someone just wanted to go and be an interpreter like myself. I have never really thought about doing anything else my whole life really. I have never been interested in being a business interpreter actually. I want to go on and major in(or double major not sure yet) in Arabic and Spanish.

I would like some opinions.

This discussion contains 169 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version