Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5785 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 9 of 72
06 November 2009 at 6:38pm | IP Logged 
Everyone seems to make a big fuss about the magic words and the owl names, but I found it quite easy to ignore them. The biggest problem for me (reading the books in German) was my regular vocabulary skill. I don't think the Harry Potter books are any harder than any other books for that age-group. Compared to all the rest of the story line, the owls and magic spells make up a very very tiny percentage of the words.
1 person has voted this message useful

translator2
United States
Joined 6718 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 10 of 72
06 November 2009 at 7:27pm | IP Logged 
About Harry Potter in Translation

Translating the Magic of Harry Potter

Comparison of the Chinese, Japanese and Vietnamese versions

About Harry Potter in Greek

Interview with Welsh translator

Guide to Using Harry Potter to Learn German

Harry Potter in Translation

Where to buy them
4 persons have voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5884 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 11 of 72
07 November 2009 at 12:05pm | IP Logged 
I appreciate the comments. I have the feeling that this log is going to spark some interesting discussion!

I've been concentrating on the Japanese Harry Potter the past few days. I didn't get much time to read during the week. Today is a typical German November day: cold, drizzly, grey. A perfect day for reading.

I'm still in the first chapter. I've been making note of some spots where the translation differs. It doesn't affect the meaning as far as I've been concerned, but it makes me have to stop and examine it, because as I've stated before, I don't have the English version.

German's missing "Harold"

I was reading a Japanese passage:

一度も会ったこともないし、ハービー  
という名だったかもしれない。
いやハロルドかも。
HEH?? What's ハロルド ??? I've never be sharp knowing all of the Japanese borrowed English words, and I'm always wary because it's easy to get the wrong impression of what they mean when they use them.

I went straight to the German version: Er konnte auch "Harvey" heissen. He could just has well have been named "Harvey".

Then I checked the French:
Après tout, il s'appelait peut-être Harvey. Ou Harold. A-HA! "OR HAROLD"

"Or Harold" isn't in the German version. I'm sure the translator thought the name "Harvey" made the thing humorful enough, without having to add that extra "Harold".

Nonfamiliar German phrases/words causing me to look up a bunch of stuff:

There was also a piece where I had to scrutinize the Japanese because the German wasn't quite clear to serve as a translation for the Japanese Mr. Dursely versuchte sich ganz wie immer zu geben

なるべく as much as possible
ふだん   usually
どうりに   in accordance with
ふるまおうとした behave as

The English must be something like, "tried to behave the way he usually did".

Birdwatcher

Then there was the issue of a katakana word -- バードウォッチャー
which looked longer and more complicated than usual stuck within a page of vertical Japanese text.

I looked at the German, "Vogelkundler" -- not familiar with it.

"témoignages" -- no help for me there.

I googled the Japanese and I finally figured it out. I felt pretty silly that it's so simple -- "ba-doweoccha" -- and then again not so simple. I think the ウォ tripped me up.

"Guy Fawke's Night" missing in the German version

ガイ・フォークスの焚き火祭り really threw me for a loop. This is where the French actually did me some good. Peut-être s'agissait-il des feux de joie de la nuit du 5 novembre, bien que ce ne soit pas encore la saison.   

I put the date and the katakana together and figured it out. (Finding the word "bonfire" also clued me in.)

It's interesting to note that while I don't expect many foreign speakers to know about Guy Fawke's Night, the Japanese translator chose to include it and Mr. Fritz didn't. Vielleicht haben die Leute zu früh Silvester gefeiert...! I think Mr. Fritz thought the text worked better with "Silvester" (New Year's) rather than readers being forced to ask, "Guy Fawkes Night -- what's that?". The time line in the story is certainly not affected by his alteration.

I'd still like to give the Japanese translator 松岡佑子 a hand O(≧∇≦)O. one of my penpals mentioned the translation was accurate. I have to take her word for it. I have to admit, so far it seems that Ms. Matsuoka has not left out anything from the original.

Edited by Sunja on 07 November 2009 at 12:54pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Yukamina
Canada
Joined 6063 days ago

281 posts - 332 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean, French

Message 12 of 72
07 November 2009 at 5:56pm | IP Logged 
Katakana words are pretty transparent once you figure out how to sound them out.

Elwing
Tetraglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5307 days ago

43 posts - 51 votes 
Speaks: Swedish, Finnish*, English, French
Studies: Norwegian

Message 13 of 72
08 November 2009 at 1:58am | IP Logged 
Seems like an interesting project! I've read Harry Potters in three different languages but I never started comparing them in that much detail (since I was reading them mainly for the plot). I did find though, that in the Swedish version the names of the characters for example have not been translated but kept as they are in the original text. In the Finnish version many of the names with a meaning behind them (e.g. Snape, Hogwarts, Crookshanks) have been translated with about the same amount of meaning as the original name has so it gives the same impression.

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5884 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 14 of 72
08 November 2009 at 11:11am | IP Logged 
Yukamina-san! Yes, some words are pretty easy. However, I don't have much experience speaking Japanese so the phonetics are lost on me sometimes. I could mispell "Fawkes" and it would read "Fox", because I don't elongate that sound properly enough.

Hi Elwig, someone could write a book on the choice of whether to make a transliteration of the names or to try to make the meaning stand out. I can imagine that many of these English word plays are lost in many languages... I was flipping through my book here.. and I notice in the chapter "The Sorting Hat" (Japanese puts the English title in small print under their title),....It looks like the Japanese have made transliterations of most of these names. I'd have to read it, but I can already see that they use スリサリン for "Slytherin" -- which is too bad. Such a great name. The word play is lost.

German would not change the names -- they prefer to have the English -- even though the German language is equally as colorful as English in coming up with such wonderful word plays.

On the other hand, their words might be so loaded with their own culture that it might confuse the reader. The German word for "griffen" is "Greif". There's a castle in my neighborhood called "Burg Greifenstein" (translated: "griffen" "stone"). This name already has a history so perhaps it would detract a bit from the story if the Germans made "Gryffindor" into "Greifenheim" oder "Greifensitz". It would be too "GERMAN" in their eyes. I think that's why none of the names are changed. What do you think?

In other names, (according to my research because I haven't reached this point yet) The Japanese is used where a place name has to convey some kind of meaning to the reader. If it's a twisting, turning kind of dark place, they use their words for it.

I plan to go into this as soon as I get there. I'm still struggling through the "set-up the story" conversation with McGonagall and Dumbledore in the beginning. It's a pretty dry section so I'll try to pick up speed.....

Edited by Sunja on 08 November 2009 at 11:14am

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5646 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 15 of 72
08 November 2009 at 12:17pm | IP Logged 
I only have verry limited Harry Potter experience: I read Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone in English, but not in German. So I can't compare two languages. I found the vocabulary of the book quite uncommon. I wanted to read the book because at that time there was a real Harry Potter hype in Germany and I wanted to be able to speak about it as well. My descision after my first Harry Potter book was not to read an other book of this series, because I am not a fan of horror stories, this became clear after only one book.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 08 November 2009 at 12:18pm

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5884 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 16 of 72
08 November 2009 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
I finally got through the first chapter. To commemorate my advancement into
Ein Fenster verschwindet, 消えたグラス, Une vitre disparaît

a picture of the J. chapter title page which nobody can read because my camera is so cheap..

if anyone is wondering what those faint scratchy lines are, no my 3-year-old did not scribble in my book. That's a drawing of the famous Brazilian boa constrictor, which says "Thanksss, Amigo".

I'll get back to my reading. Oh, One last thing...

"le survivant" is also finished in French. What took me three hours to read in Japanese I read in about 40 minutes in French. The Japanese vocabulary is indeed hard. I've marked up a few pages with notes. Some pages (the "good ones") only have about four kanji which I've marked. The "bad" pages -- the ones where I really had to mull through -- had about 10-17 words marked. once I'd been over German and Japanese -- the French turned out to be pretty easy. The only note that I made was "des Moldus", which is the French translation of "Muggle".

This discussion contains 72 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version