Germany
Joined 5884 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 33 of 72
22 November 2009 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
ah, that explains why the Dursleys are saying it all the time.

--Just a couple of interesting tidbits before I move onto Chapter 4, 鍵の番の人, Le gardien des clés, Der Hütter der Schlüssel

もう手が付けられなくなる。
la situation devint incontrôlable.
geriet die Dinge außer Kontrolle.

暖炉から雨あられと降ってきた 
la cheminée en projetant une quarantaine de lettres qui volaient dans la cuisine comme des boulets de canon.
..wie kugeln aus dem Kamin geschossen

a barrage of letters came flooding out of the chimney. I picture the letters falling out like rain in Japanese.
a barrage of about 40 letters that came in to the kitchen like balls out of a canon.
German and French use the canonball imagery, which is funny when you think of a few of them acting as projectiles aimed at the back of Uncle Vernon's head.

窓辺に腰掛け、上を通り過ぎる車のライトを 眺めながら物思いに沈んでいた
Harry, assis sur le rebord de la fenêtre, regardait les phares des voitures qui passaient dans la rue. Il se posait des questions...
Er saß an der Fensterbank, blickte hinunter auf die Lichter der vorbeifahrenden Autos und dachte lange nach....

I kinda like this section because the three translate it a bit differently. The Japanese version translates as "sunk in thought" -- which I like ^^ because I'm familiar with the kanji. To see them in this expression is a treat.

French is something like "full of questions" and German is the least descriptive with "thought a long time"

空白がある
instant de silence
Einen Augenblick lang war alles still.

I like imagery that the kanji makes with empty (air?) + white = "nothingness"

2 persons have voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5884 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 34 of 72
28 November 2009 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
I'm afraid I haven't done much with Chapter 4....

I was planning on reading 2 pages a day, but my health went from troubled to worse and I had to stop everything for a few days. This cold, rainy weather doesn't help. I'm working on a "Kur" for myself that includes tea, yoga, and 9 hours of sleep every night. That should help get my immune system back in order. This is only November -- usually I don't have trouble until after the holidays, but this season has been particularly "catching".

I plan to get a good bit of reading done tonight and tomorrow. Tomorrow is the first advent and we like to celebrate the way a lot of German households do, with a bit of afternoon coffee and Weihnachtstollen. My family and I are also making a turkey -- to make up for not doing Thanksgiving last Thursday -- should be nice and gemütlich!

Concerning the first 2 pages of Chapter 4:

I have a couple of interesting adjectives here, concerning Hagrid's appearance, that Jim Breen couldn't translate. I used the German translation. I only make note of them because I'm curious as to what their English equivalents are..

ボウボウと長い髪
ボウボウ translates to "zottelig" which is a term I only know from a child's song about a teddy bear,"Zottelbär". So I imagine a matted head of hair when I think of this word.

モジャモジャの荒々しいひげに隠れて、顔は ほとんど見えない。
モジャモジャ Another word, "struppig", which makes me think of dog's coat or some other animal.

Now there's a funny quote from Hagrid which must be something like "Oh shut up Dursley, you old prune/giant prune"

In German it's "Oberpflaume" and 大すももめ in Japanese. The translations are close. French is "old prune" with -- Ah, ça suffit, Dursley, espèce de vieux pruneau !

Dudley gets called a "Klops" which is a dumpling. "Beweg dich, Klops".
Japanese: 少しあけてくれや、犬っちょ which is a derrogatory way of saying "little dog", I guess. My Japanese penpal told me that using "ちゃん" as a suffix for a person that isn't a family member can be considered vulgar.

French: is a "pile" or "mound" -- I think. Bouge-toi un peu, gros tas

So Hagrid is quite a colorful character. Here he gives Harry a cake and tries to excuse the fact that he sat on it by saying that it tastes the same anyway.

おまえさんにちょいと上げたいモンがある... .どっかで俺が尻に敷いちまったかもしれん �、まあ味は変わらんだろ

J'ai dû m'asseoir un peu dessus pendant le voyage, mais ça doit être très bon quand même.

velleicht habe ich zwischendurch mal draufgesessen, aber er schmeckt sicher noch gut.

I'm looking forward to more of his speech -- I got tired of the Dursleys in Chapter 3..

Edited by Sunja on 28 November 2009 at 5:40pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6567 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 35 of 72
29 November 2009 at 9:00am | IP Logged 
ボウボウと長い髪 — My dictionary suggests "thick and wild".

モジャモジャ — "bushy"

Hagrid's speech is indeed interesting — it seems somewhat old-fashioned and rustic. おまえさん is a curious
combination of a term expressing familiarity (bordering on rudeness), but with さん attached to show respect. Sort
of unrefined yet polite, I guess.

Now that you're a few weeks into it, how would well you say your parallel-Potter technique is working for you? I ask
because there's a bookshop nearby with the Ancient Greek edition of Harry Potter and I'm half-inclined to give the
same technique a try myself.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5884 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 36 of 72
29 November 2009 at 9:42am | IP Logged 
Hi Captain Haddock (I was about to say good morning but it's probably about 5:00 there, now!)

I know what you mean about Hagrid. I think I understand him better than Dumbledore. (I really had to get used to じゃろう) I'm not that familiar with spoken Japanese so sometimes when these characters let their words trail off at the end or say stuff like なにはともあれ....ハリーや -- I have to get used to it. It makes me wish I were hearing them too. I have no reference for how they sound. I guess I'll have to see the film!

I'm constantly saying, "okay, where was I?" but I got a good bit of reading in last night.

I read about four pages of Japanese text (with German) -- last weekend I read 6. That's quite a lot for me to digest at once.

Captain Haddock wrote:
Now that you're a few weeks into it, how would well you say your parallel-Potter technique is working for you? I ask
because there's a bookshop nearby with the Ancient Greek edition of Harry Potter and I'm half-inclined to give the
same technique a try myself.

To answer your question I don't think I could do it any other way. Sometimes it's really tempting to put the German aside. I've been over each passage at least twice and the language is starting to become elementary and dull. I could finish reading the German book in one hour if I wanted to, but I'm trying to be patient and keep pace with Japanese. ハリー.ポッター would be just an excercise in looking up words if I didn't have the German translation to give it substance. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to be using English instead of German, but I think trying to work out the original translation is part of the fun. It keeps the interest alive.

French is the "third wheel". I'm really only a beginner so I have to tackle it almost separately. It's good that I pair up German and Japanese and leave the French for last. Today I'm allowing myself 40 minutes to get through Chapter 4.

Which language would you use with Ancient Greek?

Edited by Sunja on 29 November 2009 at 10:11am

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6567 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 

Message 37 of 72
29 November 2009 at 11:39am | IP Logged 
Quote:
I'm not that familiar with spoken Japanese so sometimes when these characters let their words trail off at
the end or say stuff like なにはともあれ....ハリーや

Reading practice will eventually get you there. You'll eventually develop a sense of "what comes next" like all people
have in their native language, and then trailing sentences won't be as confusing.

Quote:
Which language would you use with Ancient Greek?

That's a good question. Japanese would be my "good language" like your German, but I don't know if my third
wheel should be French (which I know quite well but am rusty in), German (which I have started to learn at least
three times but always got sidetracked), or something totally new.

Edited by Captain Haddock on 29 November 2009 at 11:41am

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5884 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 38 of 72
02 December 2009 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
I've got a great excuse for not finishing Chapter 4.... Grammar.

I've gotten through half of my workbook, "Gute Noten in Französisch", which I picked up from eBay -- it's geared for 7th and 8th graders (#^_^#')

Here's what I've covered:

l'article partitif,
l'article indéfini,
l'adjectif démonstratif,
l'adjectif possessif,
pronom,
pronom relatif

I'll try to do a lot of listening in the next few days to let the grammar sink in.

Edited by Sunja on 02 December 2009 at 4:53pm

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5884 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 39 of 72
02 December 2009 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
Just a side note: it's really interesting to see people already thinking about TAC. It's got me thinking, too.... thinking that I won't be able to participate this year.... sadly.

Work and family are keeping me far from my language goals. I'm hoping to start doing two pages a day, soon. I also plan to do more listening during the day. For me, listening is ALWAYS doable, it's just a matter of getting used to putting the earbuds in.

If I finish with Harry Potter I plan to do the same thing with another book. (I don't want to read the next HP so soon..) I'm still shopping around for the right book. I already have Le château de Hurle, and Sopie im Schloss des Zauberers translated from the book by Diana W. Jones. I've heard it's a bit more of a read than HP, and I have to be careful that I don't get in over my head if I want to continue reading Japanese. HP is about all I can handle -- I'll wait until I finish this book. It would also be nice to know if 魔法使いハウルと火の悪魔―ハウルの動く城 is in furigana. It's a children's book, so I think it would be. I have to google to find out...

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6567 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 

Message 40 of 72
02 December 2009 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
I don't know if it's up your ally, but I found the Young Indiana Jones series to be a good way to get used to
reading French. The language is fairly simple, the stories short (they're novellas), and they seem to be available in a
lot of languages. I've no idea if there are Japanese translations, though.

This discussion contains 72 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version