Germany
Joined 5884 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 17 of 72
09 November 2009 at 10:31pm | IP Logged 
I thought I'd log in my findings from the first 4-5 pages. There's so many interesting words! There's some new Japanese words that that I tried to cross-reference with my JLPT 2 list. These weren't on the list. I made note of them because I think they should be part of my intermed. vocab:

散髪, Friseur, faire coupe des cheveux (I didn't really find a noun in the French, they use "have a haircut")

稲妻, (what a great word.) Blitz, éclair

抱きする, I've never seen a word for "hug" before. the kanji is the same as "wrap". French is ses bras and the German text doesn't have it in the translation.

物笑い, "laughing stock" "standing joke" according to Jim Breen, but I can't be sure because it doesn't fit in with either one of the other translations.

毛玉 J.Breen translates this as "pilling", but the most obvious translation "毛wool, 玉ball" -- a Bommel or a ponpon. Definition fits with the text. Not particularly useful, but oh-so simple to remember!

大爆発, gewaltigen Wutanfall, grosses coléres (I think) -- "a huge tantrum" or fit. It has the root 爆"bang" in it.

爆破したりす Here's another one with "bang", it means "blow up", sauter, in die Luft jagen.

金切り声, This is great because of the image of 金 "metal" and "切" cut. Mrs. Dursley's voice cuts like metal. The German is "kreischen" and the French "suraique" (I don't know how to get the little Umlaut over the "e")

There's a ton of puns with pigs in the German language. "Schnute ziehen" is to pout or pull a frown. "Schnute" is "snout". I thought it was worth mentioning because Rowling compares Dudley to a pig quite a bit. When Dudley knows how to "Schnute ziehen", then there's a nice double meaning in German.

I wanted to finish tomorrow but it's a bit busy around here at the moment. The H1N1 (speaking of pigs) is making its rounds and were all worried about getting sick. I may have to postpone finishing this chapter until the weekend.

Edited by Sunja on 09 November 2009 at 10:44pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Yukamina
Canada
Joined 6063 days ago

281 posts - 332 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean, French

Message 18 of 72
09 November 2009 at 11:52pm | IP Logged 
Sunja wrote:

物笑い, "laughing stock" "standing joke" according to Jim Breen, but I can't be sure because it doesn't fit in with either one of the other translations.

What's the sentence/context?
1 person has voted this message useful

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6567 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 19 of 72
10 November 2009 at 4:05am | IP Logged 
Thanks, I find your comparisons interesting.

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5884 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 20 of 72
10 November 2009 at 10:29am | IP Logged 
Yukamina wrote:
Sunja wrote:

What's the sentence/context?

Here it is..

ダドリーはハリーを見てバカ笑いいしたし、 ハリーは翌日の学校のことを思うと眠れなか った。ただでさえ、ダブダブの服を着てセロ テープだちけのめがねをかけたハリーは 物笑いの種だ。

Dudley laughed himself stupid and Harry couldn't sleep at the thought of going to school the next day. He was already the laughing stock because he had to wear baggy clothes and glasses with Scotch tape.

--I'm curious as to what other words can be used in combi with 笑い! There's two there with バカ and 物.

The German version uses the word "hänseln" tease or make fun of.

The French use "se moquer", which is the same thing.

Hi Captain Haddock!

Please feel free to comment! ^^ I'm not quite getting everything I could out of the French. My grammar is still too poor. At least I'm getting the gist!

Edited by Sunja on 10 November 2009 at 10:32am

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6567 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 

Message 21 of 72
10 November 2009 at 10:46am | IP Logged 
Sunja wrote:

ダドリーはハリーを見てバカ笑いいしたし、 ハリーは翌日の学校のことを思うと眠れなか った。ただでさえ、ダブダブの服
を着てセロ テープだちけのめがねをかけたハリーは 物笑いの種だ。

Dudley laughed himself stupid and Harry couldn't sleep at the thought of going to school the next day. He was
already the laughing stock because he had to wear baggy clothes and glasses with Scotch tape.

That's a pretty good translation. I'd say バカ笑い is more like "laugh stupidly" or "guffaw" (since Dudley is a dolt),
and you could also translate 物笑いの種 as "was made fun of".

Edited by Captain Haddock on 10 November 2009 at 10:47am

Halie
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5909 days ago

80 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 22 of 72
10 November 2009 at 4:30pm | IP Logged 
This log is interesting! I am also reading Harry Potter in French at the mo. (The third one, though.) It's so helpful and fun.

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5884 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 23 of 72
11 November 2009 at 7:32am | IP Logged 
Thanks, Captain Haddock!

Hi Halie, I also find it fun and helpful! HP is pretty popular with language learners because it's such an easy read.

I haven't gotten much further but I want to map out my method for reading all three books -- to remind myself -- because it makes a difference in how much I get out of the experience -- not that I "just fly through it" and not do something to help my comprehension.

I can only get through a chunk of a chapter on the weekends. Most of the time I'm too busy during the week to get anything done. I wanted to read last night but I had to respond to two of my Japanese penpals about Halloween. Had to send them pictures of our Halloween party. ^^

I've read the book in German to the point where they're making their way to the school (page 100), so I know what's going on up to that point.

Before I read the Japanese I look up the vocabulary. It's very tedious but it makes for more enjoyable reading. Going over the vocabulary after I read does no good whatsoever. Then I almost have to reread the text to understand how the word works. Second, I reread the German text -- almost sentence for sentence with the Japanese. After I do this I can spit it back out in English (as I demonstrated above). If I read the Japanese without German I only get a vague, hazy idea of the Japanese. So reading parallel w. German really enhances my understanding. (Nothing new to folks here in the forum but now I've experienced it for myself.)

This is a pretty important "door-opening" discovery for me, since I'm not quite at the JLPT 2 level. Wow, I can read Japanese kind-of-feeling.

With French -- well, by the time I've read both German and Japanese I can devour French effortlessly, without a dictionary or having to refer to one of the other translations. It's really enjoyable being able to do this. My goal is to get accustomed to the language so that my further aquisition of grammar and words will come easier -- that's what I'm hoping, at least. I'm worried about my reading ability, but if I read outloud then the passive work that I did with Assimil helps to spot my pronunciation.

Edited by Sunja on 11 November 2009 at 7:38am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6567 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 

Message 24 of 72
11 November 2009 at 9:30am | IP Logged 
Sunja wrote:

Before I read the Japanese I look up the vocabulary. It's very tedious but it makes for more enjoyable reading. Going over the
vocabulary after I read does no good whatsoever.

I think this is a pretty good method for tackling Japanese especially. I did something similar when I was still an intermediate
learner. I had a weekly selection of newspaper articles to read with my tutor, but before reading them I would highlight all the
vocabulary I didn't know, write it in a notebook, and study it.

Edited by Captain Haddock on 11 November 2009 at 9:33am

This discussion contains 72 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version