2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 25 of 72
14 November 2009 at 10:46pm | IP Logged 
A few notes on comparisons from Chapter 2:

plain form + はめになる - to end up having to do something unpleasant

急ぎで... に食らいついている to choke or gulp down (food)

German: hinunter schlingen - I remember hearing this phrase for the first time, watching a dubbed "Ghostbusters" when B. Murray says, "Schling nicht so" (chew your food)
French: s'empresser d'engloutir - I know it's my imagination, but it almost sounds like "engulf"

天井に向ける - to roll eyes (towards the ceiling)
German: Augen nach oben rollen
French: lever les yeux au plafond

Here's the snake's famous words,

ブラジルへ、俺は行く  シュシュシュ、あ りがとよ、アミーゴ
Et maintenant, direction, le Brésil! Merssssi, amigo.
Brasilien, ich komme...tschüsss, Amigo.

"Tschüss" works better for that hissing sound than "Danke, Amigo". The Japanese even add a little onomatopoetic sound there with the "shu-shu-shu" of the snake slithering out the door..

I'm pretty anxious to get into the next chapter. I'll try to get through 3 a bit quicker.

1 person has voted this message useful

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6566 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 26 of 72
15 November 2009 at 10:32am | IP Logged 
Hm... 食らう means to gulp down food or drink, but 食らいつく usually means to "latch onto" (the image being that
of taking a big bite and not letting go).

P.S. Engloutir can indeed mean "engulf". (Or maybe that was your point.)

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5883 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 27 of 72
19 November 2009 at 2:59pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for that info Captain Haddock!

Whew-- the first two weeks of Nov. have been pretty busy. Sankt-Martins Fest, Martini Markt, my 7-year-old's birthday party... but I think I can coast until Christmas. We play our American Thanksgiving down, just because we're so exhausted and need a break before Christmas hits.

My oldest has had the flu this week and has been on the computer, so I haven't been using Jim Breen to look up my words. I've been using my ol' Tuttle Kanji Learner's Dict. ("the hard way"). The first three pages of Chapter 3 I read without the dict. (I was in the doctor's office)

Le'see.. I have some notes here on the desk. (I try to jot down vocabulary or thoughts during reading).

物置  This one is pretty easy. It's Harry's closet under the stairs. The kanji are "thing" and "put".

Here's where I couldn't put 1 and 2 together:
仕置き受ける This translates to some sort of punitive measure "Strafe" in German and "punition" in French. I was curious as to how the Japanese built this word. It's got "receive/take" in it but I can't quite see how the other two function tog. as a meaning..

8ミリカメラ "8 millimeter camera"? isn't this like filmmaking during the Depression? It's used as a translation for video camera.

I had another really interesting word here 松葉ずえ which translates to "crutches" and uses the kanji for pine, and leaf -- I thought that was curious.

日目 I couldn't find in my book (strangely enough. the kanji is so simple) I'll come back and give a context but for now..

Man, it's already 14.47-- II have an appointment at 15.00..

Edited by Sunja on 19 November 2009 at 4:58pm

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5883 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 28 of 72
19 November 2009 at 3:56pm | IP Logged 
Okay I'm back.

You know, now that I'm seeing it again, I think I may have read it wrong:
食卓について、ストーンウォール入学の第一 日目の自分の姿を想像した。

Maybe it's not 日目, rather 第一日 -- first day. That makes more sense.

"at the dining table (Harry) imagined how he would appear (his) first day of school (at) Stonewall."

お黙り is an expression I don't know which they translate in German as "stell dich nicht so dumm an" and "Ne fais pas l'idiot"

匂いに顔をにしかめる is to grimace at an oder. (I always pick the descriptive ones.) French "fronçant le nez" and in German they just use "hielten sich" (they kept/held themselves)

I've decided I'm going to get a book of Japanese adverbs for myself for Christmas because I don't know any of them, it seems. "クラクラ" "ビリビリ" and a dozen others I've had to look up.

It also occurs to me how often they use the verb やる in their speech and I've hardly come across it at all in my studies (funny, that.) Just goes to show me that it pays to read.

I'm still in the middle of Chapter 3. I wanted to finish last night but I fell asleep. I'll finish before the weekend.

EDIT: There's probably a ton of other words I'd love to dissect. It's really exciting to see the language functioning in something other than a language learner's textbook. I probably only know 匂い from phrases like タバコの匂いがします "it smells like cigarettes." To see "old" kanji used in a descriptive narrative function is really thrilling (for me) and it makes me glad I'm doing this. (Even if I'm slow.)

Edited by Sunja on 19 November 2009 at 4:29pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5883 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 29 of 72
19 November 2009 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
From the 10th of Nov I wrote that "Schnute ziehen" worked well as a wordplay since Dudley is compared to a pig. Weeeeell. I spoke to some colleagues of mine and they say that "Schnute ziehen" doesn't really have anything to do with pigs. I found the word translated somewhere in the Internet as "snout" and -- that's not really correct. Germans are more likely (I'm told) to use the word "Rüssel" for a pig's nose. That goes for tapirs, anteaters, hedgehogs as well as elephants.
Just a memo to myself .._〆(・∀・@)     Schnute = snoot, snout = Rüssel

So jetzt habe ich die Nase voll. *chortle* ^^

Edited by Sunja on 19 November 2009 at 4:50pm

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6566 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 

Message 30 of 72
19 November 2009 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
8ミリカメラ "8 millimeter camera"? isn't this like filmmaking during the Depression? It's used as a
translation for video camera.

Nah, 8-mm tapes are those little cassettes that camcorders all used a few years back.

Quote:
I had another really interesting word here 松葉ずえ which translates to "crutches" and uses the kanji for
pine, and leaf -- I thought that was curious.

Cool, I didn't know that word. By the way, it should be 松葉づえ or 松葉杖 ... the 杖 means "cane" or "magic
wand". づ is used because it's a つ that gets vocalized in a compound word.

Quote:
お黙り

Literally, "silence!" More colloquially, "shut up!"

Edited by Captain Haddock on 19 November 2009 at 5:15pm

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5883 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 31 of 72
22 November 2009 at 1:32pm | IP Logged 
Captain Haddock wrote:
By the way, it should be 松葉づえ or 松葉杖 ... the 杖 means "cane" or "magic
wand". づ is used because it's a つ that gets vocalized in a compound word.

Now that you mention it, I see it in Dudley's "Smelting's cane", too! スメルティングズの杖
That's the thing he's always bopping everyone over the head with. I should be able to make a nice visual aid out of that.

Captain Haddock, you can probably help me with a word. おまえ is "you", right?

ダドリーのお古をわざわざおまえのために灰 色に染めてあげてるんだ。

J'ai teint en gris des vieilles affaires de Dudley.

---おまえのために "for you"?

「ダドリー、おまえも行け....とにかく行け

「ああ、連中の考えることときたらおまえ、 まともじゃない。」

Pétunia, ces gens-là sont très differents de nous, ils ne raisonnent pas comme toi et moi...

「おまえなんかにこんなにメチャメチャに話 したがっているのはいったい誰なんだ」

--Mais qui peut bien avoir envie de t'écrire à ce point ?

I can translate these sentences okay, but I've never come across おまえ before. Probably because I've only studied "textbook Japanese".

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6566 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 

Message 32 of 72
22 November 2009 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, おまえ ("one who is in front") is more manga/anime Japanese. It means "you" but it's very informal and would
only be used as a sign of strong familiarity or rudeness toward someone of equal or lower stature.

This discussion contains 72 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version