Germany
Joined 5884 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 57 of 72
09 January 2010 at 12:08pm | IP Logged 
I corrected my last post. Thanks for the heads up!

I haven't read much in the last day or so.. I've been studying a handful of French verbs and their conjugations. I've also been watching videos at Yabla. I'm about to go there now. Then I have a private student coming over at 1:00. I promise to be back later today.

Thanks Captain H., Yukamina and Tixhiidon for helping me with the translations!
1 person has voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5884 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 58 of 72
10 January 2010 at 12:07pm | IP Logged 
I won't be able to give anyone much to go on today. I ended up getting through two more pages of "Daigon Alley" Japanese. The chapter still has quite a few number of pages. My normal practice has been to read the pages in the order of "German-Japanese-French", and it's the Japanese that always hangs me up. When I started I knew so little French that I had no choice but to do it in this order, but this morning I read the rest of "Le chemin de traverse", and then went back and checked my understanding with the German. Trying to read without German is fun but accomplishes little, so I think I'll continue doing what I was doing before.

I've been doing French at least 2 hours (?) a day (can't really say because my study time is in pieces), trying to get it up to the point where I can converse a bit. I'm debating on whether to sign on with a class at a community college. I'm a bit apprehensive since never taken a language class before and don't what kind of pace to expect. While I don't expect much out of the group (9 max), I'm looking forward to the French-speaking Dozentin. I figure if there's at least one person there who's better than I whose brain I can pick, then it'll be worth the price. Haven't really made up my mind yet, but I'll have to soon since the available spots fill up quick...

I just took a little online test to prove to myself that I know something (my learning has been so erratic) and I scored an A2, if that means anything...

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5884 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 59 of 72
17 January 2010 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
Two more pages of "Daigon Alley". Reading is painfully slow. I've decided not to report back until I've covered the rest of the 18 pages. I'm not able to study much right now, and that's part of the reason for the slow progress. I'm trying to cover the vocabulary as well as I can.

I keep leaving my French HP in the car and so I'm not quite up to the same page, yet. My French class starts mid-Feb, so that will be interesting.

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6567 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 60 of 72
18 January 2010 at 9:50am | IP Logged 
Sunja, do you have any of the audiobooks, out of curiosity?

lyzazel
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
interlinearbooks.com
Joined 5500 days ago

32 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: Lithuanian*, Esperanto, English, Swedish
Studies: Portuguese

Message 61 of 72
20 December 2011 at 4:10pm | IP Logged 
Hey, what happened to this thread? Have you given up?

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5884 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 62 of 72
20 December 2011 at 7:55pm | IP Logged 
Wow, brought back from the dead -- thanks for your interest Iyzazel!

I'm afraid it became too difficult to keep this thread going. I got busy and I didn't have time to read all three books any more.

It's very tempting to pick this thread up again but I've got my hands full with my new TAC log....

edit: a very late apology to Captain Haddock for not responding to his post! I don't have the audio to HP, which is too bad because it would help me a lot.

Edited by Sunja on 20 December 2011 at 7:58pm

Magdalene
Diglot
United States
Joined 4835 days ago

119 posts - 220 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, German, Modern Hebrew, French

Message 63 of 72
20 December 2011 at 8:32pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, thanks for performing some necromancy, lyzazel. I read this thread through from the
beginning and loved it.

Sunja, would you mind if I used this idea for my new language log? I'd like to do
something similar with young adult fantasy novels in my target languages (Spanish,
German, and Mandarin), including but not limited to Harry Potter.

Again, love this log, and I'm looking forward to following it if you decide to pick it up
again.

lyzazel
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
interlinearbooks.com
Joined 5500 days ago

32 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: Lithuanian*, Esperanto, English, Swedish
Studies: Portuguese

Message 64 of 72
21 December 2011 at 12:43pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, I think the problem might have been that you did all three at the same time. I'm currently doing one in
German (with an audiobook) and it feels like it's just about right. Reading the same thing over in two more
languages would be a bit insipid, I guess.

This discussion contains 72 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version