Germany
Joined 5884 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 42 of 72
02 December 2009 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
I couldn't find Les Aventures du jeune Indiana Jones at any of my usual haunts for books (Amazon, eBay) but I did find Les Aventures d'Indiana Jones, Tome 1 : Indiana Jones et le péril à Delphes in paperback at Amazon.de.

This doesn't look like the "young" version which is too bad 'cause I've heard that for a franchise the series is pretty good...
1 person has voted this message useful

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6567 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 43 of 72
03 December 2009 at 4:58am | IP Logged 
Sunja wrote:
I couldn't find Les Aventures du jeune Indiana Jones at any of my usual haunts for books (Amazon,
eBay) but I did find Delphes/dp/2811200053/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1259780893&sr=8 -1-fkmr1">Les Aventures d'Indiana Jones,
Tome 1 : Indiana Jones et le péril à Delphes
in paperback at Amazon.de.

This doesn't look like the "young" version which is too bad 'cause I've heard that for a franchise the series is pretty
good...

That's too bad. The library in my hometown was fully stocked with the French series (yay for Canadian libraries), so
I didn't have to shop around.

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5884 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 44 of 72
06 December 2009 at 4:03pm | IP Logged 
I'm a little bit behind because of Nikolaus Tag and the fact that I've been working on French grammar for the past few days. Le'me unload a couple of things from my notes and I'll go ahead and wrap up Chapter 4 tonight..

I actually found the little quip from Hagrid where he says,

Ah, go boil yer heads, both of yeh.

German wins the best translation with
Ach, kocht eure Köpfe doch im eigenen Saft, ihr beiden
-- brilliant. Herr Fritz did a good job with this! I even like it better than the original! "Ah, go boil your heads in your own juice"

Japanese:
二人とも勝手に喚いていろ。
(Go ahead) yell at your convenience.

French:
Je vais vou transformer en pâté tous les deux.
Go bake yourselves, both of you. (transform yourselves into a pie)

I was curious as to whether Herr Fritz thought up the phrase himself so I googled "kocht eure Köpfe" and the only saying I found close to "go boil your heads" is
--jemanden im eigenen Saft braten. -- which actually means "to leave someone to fend for themselves", which is not quite the same thing.

so, I'm sure there are many stewing, simmering, brewing metaphors translators could put to ingenious use here, but it's time to move along to the owls.

I think the English must be "owl post". I tried to find it but got a handful of "owl post" websites where you can send Potter-style E-cards. Not what I wanted. Oh well. "owl post" it must be.

Wir erwarten Ihre Eule = We'll be expecting your owl / owl post

French:
nous attendons votre hibou

Japanese:
ふころう便にてのお返事をお待ちって

Then Hagrid exclaims, Galoppin' Gorgons! and again, the German wins with the most accurate "galoppierende Gorgonen"

French:
Mille Gorgones
French has the word "galop" but I'm assuming that using the French present participle would be too wierd, or what? "Gorgones galopant"? At any rate, the translator chose "million Gorgons!". (I think)

The Japanese translator decided not to try to mess with this one and the Japanese just reads
おっとどっこい。 "oh no! Hold on!"

Here's a word not many foreign language learners know: Clydesdale
cheval du trait
Brauereigaul (brewery horse)
馬車馬

I like this next one, mainly because of the visual image I get, and it translates as "really ruffled up" or "jostled" and it describes the owl that Hagrid pulled out of his pocket.

少しもみくちゃになってはいたが、
recht zersaust aussenende,
qui avait l'air un peu froissé

Isn't that a hoot?   *cough*.

Edited by Sunja on 06 December 2009 at 4:11pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

LuxEtVeritas
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5504 days ago

50 posts - 65 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, German, Italian

Message 45 of 72
06 December 2009 at 7:28pm | IP Logged 
Sunja, what a brilliant idea! I was planning to do the same thing, but with Italian
instead of Japanese. Great minds truly think alike ;)

How many pages of each do you try to read each day, and how many words on average are you
looking up for the French version?

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5884 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 46 of 72
07 December 2009 at 4:30pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, LuxEtVeritas!

Quote:

How many pages of each do you try to read each day, and how many words on average are you looking up for the French version?

I'm afraid I'm not very consistent. With my current work schedule I'm only able to read large chunks on the weekends, but I'm hoping that will change soon with the holiday break coming up.

I'm not looking up any French words. I just use the other two translations as a guide.

I read the German first (I've read up to page 100), so that I know what's going on. Then I go back and read the Japanese alongside the German sentence per sentence. I find that if I do this thoroughly, without skipping I can then read French and understand it -- which is cool --!

I think reading French at this early learning stage will help me get used to the sentence structure faster (I'm pretty good at recognizing parts of speech). The only part about French that remains a mystery are the tenses, but I'm trying to catch up. I'm reading about the imparfait as we speak^^

I'm beginning chapter 5 this evening.
In der Winkelgasse,
ダイアゴン横丁、
Le chemin de traverse

Edited by Sunja on 07 December 2009 at 4:43pm

genini1
United States
Joined 5267 days ago

114 posts - 161 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 47 of 72
07 December 2009 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
If you live in America http://www.sasugabooks.com/index.php sells the Harry Potter books for a reasonable price in Japanese, sometimes there on back order so it can take a couple of weeks for delivery, they also sell various manga.

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5884 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 48 of 72
03 January 2010 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
The holidays were pretty crazy..

Harry is still making his way through Daigon Alley. I'm going to take a break with French grammar and try to pick up speed....

Here's some great Japanese counters that I discovered in Harry's school supplies.

一個 いっこ is a counter for "a piece"
一組 ひとくみ one set
三着 さんちゃく three "pair" (counter for clothes)

This discussion contains 72 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version