158 messages over 20 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19 20
Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5491 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 153 of 158
22 November 2010 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
NorseRonin wrote:
Jinx wrote:
NorseRonin wrote:
haha I laughed when I saw "Verbotene Liebe". It does sound cheesy but I'll
definitely look it up, it couldn't hurt my
German any to start watching it xD

For some reason things I find cheesy in English aren't nearly as cheesy if it's in German. For example pop music
in
German to me is much better than today's American/English pop.

I would DEFINITELY recommend VL, I have become such a fan of it! :) I can't believe I've become one of those
people who follows a soap opera, but I'm legitimately obsessed. (I talk about the show a little more in an entry
which I wrote several days ago and am about to post.)

I totally know what you mean about cheesiness, especially with pop music...

Wow, my god! I'm one of them too now! I look and talk the same, but I've changed. I've become........ a soap opera fan. So if you haven't already guessed, I started watching VL and it is great haha. I like it for the same reasons you do, although I understand much less I'm sure. Also thanks for the band recommendations, I will definitely look them up on youtube (after a couple of episodes of VL lol). I'm sure you've heard of "Wir sind Helden" their my favorite German pop band, I tend to listen to more of "Rammstein" and "Die Apokalytischen Reiter" but Wir sind Helden is great (I listen to them daily) and I also recommend very highly a band called "Element of Crime" the first song I've heard by them is called "Wann kommt der Wind" I'll link it: Wann Kommt Der Wind

Thanks for the link, I can't wait to check it out! I am a big fan of "Wir sind Helden" too, but I hadn't heard of DAR or EoC, so I'm super excited to listen to them now. :)

If you think Christian and Olli (or "Chrolli") are as adorable as I do, I've discovered that the complete backstory to their relationship is available on YouTube, with English subtitles! Just search for: christian olli English part 1

I haven't checked, but complete episodes (i.e. not just the Chrolli-parts) might also be available with subs...

I'm so glad I've converted you into a VL fan too! *insert evil laugh* Now we can gab about it with each other! *freu*
1 person has voted this message useful

NorseRonin
Pro Member
United States
youtube.com/user/NorRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5076 days ago

47 posts - 55 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Icelandic
Personal Language Map

Message 154 of 158
23 November 2010 at 5:47am | IP Logged 
haha yeah, I've never converted to anything so fast. When I saw the intro to VL I was like "Holy cow, this is fully of
cheese!" lol, but now I love it, it's so goofy it's great. I'll check out the Christian and Olli thing on youtube, I'm only a
few episodes in and I have a long way to go (I assume) before I even get to them yet. Anyway, it'll be great to talk
about it, I'll try and catch up!

Also, If you haven't already noticed DAR are a metal band, I recommend the songs "Nach der Ebbe" and definitely
"Der Elende" by them for both lyrics and instrumentals. "Wir sind das Licht" is pretty sweet too :)

And EoC is just awesome, I can't explain them, kinda folky with some great melodies and such.

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5491 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 155 of 158
05 December 2010 at 7:00pm | IP Logged 
Hey everybody, sorry I forgot to check in and say this, but I'm taking a three-week break from my independent language studies – it's the last three weeks of the semester, and I'm drowning in finals (including writing papers in German and translating into/from French), so I need to focus just on that. The last day of the semester for me is Friday December 10, so after that I should be back and posting again!

NorseRonin
Pro Member
United States
youtube.com/user/NorRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5076 days ago

47 posts - 55 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Icelandic
Personal Language Map

Message 156 of 158
05 December 2010 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
Jinx wrote:
Hey everybody, sorry I forgot to check in and say this, but I'm taking a three-week break from my
independent language studies – it's the last three weeks of the semester, and I'm drowning in finals (including
writing papers in German and translating into/from French), so I need to focus just on that. The last day of the
semester for me is Friday December 10, so after that I should be back and posting again!

good luck with finals ;)

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5491 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 

Message 157 of 158
29 December 2010 at 9:33pm | IP Logged 
All right, I'm finally back. Despite having completely stopped tracking my language study during the last month, I've still managed to do quite a lot. Let's see if I can recall some of the highlights here:

- writing a five-page paper on Nietzsche in German;
- doing a translation of a Baudelaire poem (L'albatros) which my professor singled out for praise (mainly because it was rhymed and metered, which she likes);
- continuing to translate the novel "Die Wand" for my senior project and having my advisor tell me that I was doing stupendous work on it;
- having my German professor tell me that I have an "almost native-level" knowledge of German (obviously that was a VAST exaggeration – I'm high-intermediate at best – but still very flattering to hear);
- continuing to work through the Cortina Italian textbook on and off;
- also continuing to work through the TY Everyday French textbook;
- realizing the two previously-mentioned textbooks have incredibly pointless vocabulary and practice texts, but having the motivation to make myself learn it all anyway;
- buying a huge array of books in various languages (mostly German and French) at a fabulous used-book store I found in Craryville, NY;
- twice finding myself reading French purely for pleasure without any apparent difficulty (first a mystery by Georges Simenon when I was waiting in a bookstore, and then a book about Brittany called "La bretagne que j'aime" by a native Breton talking about his childhood there);
- teaching my family a few words and expressions in German and French;
- watching a tri-lingual movie (German, French, and Scots English) called "Joyeux Noël" and understanding much of the dialogue without looking at the subtitles.

Lots of successes, but that doesn't mean that everything's hunky-dory. In the past month, I've also:
- fallen wayyy behind on learning Chinese characters, to the point where I'm even forgetting some of the ones I previously knew;
- almost completely stopped learning further spoken Mandarin, due to lack of time;
- lost a lot of motivation for Italian (I'll have to watch a movie or something to get myself back in the mood);
- watched hardly any movies/TV in German;
- had absolutely no non-school opportunities to practice speaking any of my languages;
- not studied Esperanto or toki pona at all;
- fallen terribly behind on my Assimil French course;
- not watched any more FiA videos.

So, with the beginning of the new year I'm going to have to shape up a bit. I hate to say it, but being at home with my family, as much as I love them, is the biggest time-waster I can imagine. It's really incredible how little of my own work I get done when I'm home for the holidays. Soon, however, my sister will be leaving to spend a semester in Lancaster, England (yay for her!) and my parents will both be back at work during the day, so hopefully I'll have the last three weeks of January pretty much entirely to myself.

Terrible confession: I have the worst urge to join in on the January Dutch challenge. This is especially bad because I'm so behind on my senior project in German, and it looks like I may be in France this summer, so will have to keep working hard on my French. I really have NO time to jump into Dutch... but I want to, so badly! We'll see how this pans out... I still have a few days to make up my mind one way or another.

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5491 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 

Message 158 of 158
05 January 2011 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
Just a note for anyone who's interested... my log for 2011 continues here:

TAC 2011 (Team ÇÜ): The Continuing Saga

See you over there! :)

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 158 messages over 20 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version