3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 113 of 222
06 April 2010 at 5:31pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:
ALS wrote:
I really did enjoy creating the initial lists though. I may try this method again with a much shorter wait time, such as 1 week or a few days.

That would defeat the purpose of the system, though.

If the creator of the system can't provide anything other than anecdotal evidence/opinion to support his assertion of the most effective way of doing it, surely ALS is free to experiment with it himself?

He is free to experiment on anything he pleases, but then it's not longer the "Goldlist Method".
2 persons have voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5458 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 114 of 222
06 April 2010 at 6:47pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
As I said in previous posts, my initial list takes so long for me to put together that I have very little time to study them if I am to stick to the 20-minute rule. I'm no so sure what to do about that yet.

Yes - that is a very good point - creating the first version of a list of 25 words that I don't know always takes me at least an hour, including finding words to add and looking up their meaning then writing them down. I don't see how it could be managed in 20 minutes. For later distillations, though, 20 minute is reasonable.
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5170 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 115 of 222
06 April 2010 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:
As I said in previous posts, my initial list takes so long for me to put together that I have very little time to study them if I am to stick to the 20-minute rule. I'm no so sure what to do about that yet.

Yes - that is a very good point - creating the first version of a list of 25 words that I don't know always takes me at least an hour, including finding words to add and looking up their meaning then writing them down. I don't see how it could be managed in 20 minutes. For later distillations, though, 20 minute is reasonable.

Since you might have already been exposed in the past to some of the words you include in the list, I can't imagine why writing up the list first, taking a break, and only then spending 20 minutes to study them would be a problem. Or else we could make up the list on a separate sheet and include the transcription onto a new definite list as part of the 20-minute period.

whipback
Groupie
United States
Joined 5383 days ago

91 posts - 118 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 116 of 222
07 April 2010 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
I am using the method now. I like it, but I have to say, I almost never remember 30% of the words. Sometimes I remember 0 words. I do eventually learn the words, but I almost never remember 30%. I don't understand why I don't though.

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5458 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech

Message 117 of 222
08 April 2010 at 10:30am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:

Since you might have already been exposed in the past to some of the words you include in the list, I can't imagine why writing up the list first, taking a break, and only then spending 20 minutes to study them would be a problem. Or else we could make up the list on a separate sheet and include the transcription onto a new definite list as part of the 20-minute period.

I agree. The Goldlist method, though, doesn't mention the need for this up-front effort. It starts with the assumption that the first version of a list needs only 20 minutes - whereas it usually needs much more preparatory work (such as creating a list on a separate sheet beforehand - which is, in effect, another prior pass at writing out the list).

rad
United States
Joined 5403 days ago

18 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: French

Message 118 of 222
18 April 2010 at 3:51pm | IP Logged 
What do you think? Would this method be useful shortly after beginning a language, or would it be better to wait until a person was closer to intermediate level?

I'm a few weeks into beginning Arabic, going very slowly. I seem to do okay with short words 3-4 letters, but anything longer requires painful sounding out. Words from the lesson come in batches of 8-10 with seemingly enough practice. Until I turn the page.

If using Gold List at the beginning seems good, would it be advisable to keep the lists shorter, say 10-20 words at a time

whipback
Groupie
United States
Joined 5383 days ago

91 posts - 118 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 119 of 222
01 May 2010 at 6:46pm | IP Logged 
I just don't understand! This is my second time trying The Gold List Method and my second time failing. I was able to eliminate 0 words in my last head list and all of my other head lists I had to rely on combing the imperfective and perfective verbs. I follow the rules and complete my list in the required time. I don't understand what to do. How can this method work for so many people, but not me? I'm very confused. Does anyone have any tips or new versions of this method?

Pyx
Diglot
China
Joined 5524 days ago

670 posts - 892 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 120 of 222
02 May 2010 at 1:53am | IP Logged 
whipback wrote:
   I just don't understand! This is my second time trying The Gold List Method and my second time failing. I was able to eliminate 0 words in my last head list and all of my other head lists I had to rely on combing the imperfective and perfective verbs. I follow the rules and complete my list in the required time. I don't understand what to do. How can this method work for so many people, but not me? I'm very confused. Does anyone have any tips or new versions of this method?

Why should everything work for everybody? Why don't you go looking for a method that actually does work for you, instead of insisting that it has to be this one?

This discussion contains 222 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version