China
Joined 5523 days ago

670 posts - 892 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 41 of 222
19 March 2010 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
It's been 2 days and I've made 2 lists so far.

Many of the words I wrote have been popping up in my mind every now and then. I suppose
the brain is still working on them. I probably already know 30% of them.

I suppose that would be: you STILL know 30% of them :) Let's see about in two weeks :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5169 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 42 of 222
19 March 2010 at 1:30pm | IP Logged 
Pyx wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:
It's been 2 days and I've made 2 lists so far.

Many of the words I wrote have been popping up in my mind every now and then. I suppose
the brain is still working on them. I probably already know 30% of them.

I suppose that would be: you STILL know 30% of them :) Let's see about in two weeks
:)

I get ya. Typically, from my own personal experience, if I remember a word a few days
later, I will usually remember it for quite a while, so I'm rather confident that these
few words that I have been toying with in my mind will stick.

After all, it's made me sit down and study vocab for 20 mins a day; I've never really
done that before, so there's some good to the method ;)

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5169 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 43 of 222
19 March 2010 at 1:31pm | IP Logged 
ozeri wrote:
I have been using the goldlist method for not quite a year now,for two
languages.
Let me tell you that it works phenomenally for me!

How many words in each language would you say this method has helped you learn?

Pyx
Diglot
China
Joined 5523 days ago

670 posts - 892 votes 

Message 44 of 222
19 March 2010 at 1:36pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
ozeri wrote:
I have been using the goldlist method for not quite a year now,for two
languages.
Let me tell you that it works phenomenally for me!

How many words in each language would you say this method has helped you learn?

Why, 8000 words of course! How could it be different?! (You may ignore this, it's just a friendly jab at Woodpecker :) )

Pyx
Diglot
China
Joined 5523 days ago

670 posts - 892 votes 

Message 45 of 222
19 March 2010 at 1:37pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:

After all, it's made me sit down and study vocab for 20 mins a day; I've never really

Not even for Japanese?! :-O

Woodpecker
Triglot
United States
Joined 5599 days ago

351 posts - 590 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (Egyptian)
Studies: Arabic (classical)

Message 46 of 222
19 March 2010 at 2:13pm | IP Logged 
Pyx wrote:
Why, 8000 words of course! How could it be different?! (You may ignore this, it's just a friendly jab at Woodpecker :) )

If you don't learn that many in the first week, you're clearly doing things wrong.

On the semi-serious side, my lists are now well under-way. I'm using a little verb and noun list that claims to contain 80% of the vocabulary in the Holy Qur'aan, and so far I've done 80 of the verbs. I am in no great hurry to read the Qur'aan, but I had the list sitting around and it seems fairly well-done, so I decided to use it. Also, since most of the vocab has more of a classical bent, it doesn't include a whole lot of words I already know, so it seemed good for testing. The total number of entries, dividing up the verbs the way I've chosen to, should come to 1000 words.

Also, I'm doing headlists of 20, for no other reason than that's the number my book will hold while still fitting the whole business on two pages.

Obviously, it's too early to say much, but here's what I've concluded so far. I think the method may actually work fairly well, but I feel like the explanation as to why (with all the STM-LTM mumbo jumbo etc.) may be somewhat lacking. Obviously I don't know enough to write the thesis yet, but I'm starting to suspect that the effectiveness is less in the "instant 30% sampling of the LTM" and more in the very efficient weeding out of what is already known or easy to figure out. I know that's not very well-explained. Give me a few weeks.

Also, a couple of you other experimenters aren't exactly following the directions. There's nothing at all wrong with that, in fact it's good as it will give more insight into what is effective and what isn't, but I think it should be noted. Specifically, I think the Iversen method, which I've used quite a bit in my own modified form, has little in common and is in fact fairly contradictory of the Gold List method. Combining Iversen with extremely widely-spaced repetitions is interesting, but I don't know that it's Gold Listing. And Arekkusu, I don't know what you meant when you said it takes you all the time just to write the words, so you take a break before actually studying them. Could you elaborate on how you're actually studying? The impression I got was that, other that writing the words and their translations, the only studying one is supposed to do is to read the whole list aloud.

Anyway, I have to go finish my last list for the day. :-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5169 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 47 of 222
19 March 2010 at 2:58pm | IP Logged 
Pyx wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:

...nope.

Pyx
Diglot
China
Joined 5523 days ago

670 posts - 892 votes 

Message 48 of 222
19 March 2010 at 3:02pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Pyx wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:

...nope.

They just stuck after having come across them a few times? Including Kanji and all? o_O Any secret tips you'd like to tell me? :D

This discussion contains 222 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version