Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

The Ultimate Accelerated Learning Exp. !

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
200 messages over 25 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 ... 24 25 Next >>
tbone
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4800 days ago

92 posts - 132 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 81 of 200
16 April 2011 at 5:28pm | IP Logged 
Cool, thanks for the report. And congratulations on sticking it out.

So, it seems like your short naps after 24 and 38 helped your comprehension a lot.

What are your plans now?
1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5365 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 82 of 200
16 April 2011 at 5:49pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for this detailed account of your hours. It's interesting to read how you progressed throughout the experiment, and it's good to hear you had some fun whilst learning Russian too.

One of the things I noticed is that you seemed to experience a big improvement after longer periods of sleep, where I imagine your brain had more time to integrate everything and work its magic:

"I passed out again on my bed and slept for what seemed to feel like years (about 4-5 hours).....I started listening to the tracks that I repeated so many times and didn't get once , But this time they were so easy to understand & to listen to , That I finished these last tracks in the foundation so fast ."

"BAM , My body forced me to pass out again on bed...4 hours later.....When I listened to the 3rd CD in the vocab course I was amazed , This time I was capable of listening to the fast & complex sentences of the students and the teacher with ease & understanding as if I knew them , And I was also real fast with sentence creation that I felt that most of the information in the advanced course were also cemented as I progressed into the last cd."

I'm interested to learn what you plan next with Russian, after a good long sleep of course ;) , and wish you the best of results. It's a great language!

@tbone
Lol - by the time I'd made myself a cup of tea and posted this, I noticed your more succinct reply as the page refreshed. Great minds think alike, eh?!

Edited by Teango on 16 April 2011 at 6:04pm

tbone
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4800 days ago

92 posts - 132 votes 

Message 83 of 200
16 April 2011 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
Great minds think alike, eh?!

Yeah, but look at how much better a writer you are!

These experiments and techniques I'm discovering via this site, including your own experiments, Teango, are just
fascinating.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5365 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 84 of 200
16 April 2011 at 7:51pm | IP Logged 
@tbone
Thanks *blushing* (double embarrassment now) :)

Sandman
Diglot
United States
Joined 5217 days ago

168 posts - 389 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Japanese

Message 85 of 200
17 April 2011 at 2:56am | IP Logged 
Not to be a D-bag or anything, but it sounds like you're someone who has roughly done about 72 hrs of studying. Maybe less, as just getting through a M.Thomas alone isn't going to get someone very far in a language. I do think it's nice that it only took a few days though instead of a few weeks, but I'm not particularly convinced this is anywhere near as efficient on a per-hour basis as doing 2 hrs a day for 36 days instead.

tbone
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4800 days ago

92 posts - 132 votes 

Message 86 of 200
17 April 2011 at 3:36am | IP Logged 
It all depends on your constraints. If, like me, you're gainfully funemployed, something like this is attractive. I can
devote big blocks of time right now, but maybe later on I won't have the luxury. Maybe you're being sent overseas
in a few weeks. Again, good to know ways to get ahead of the curve.

Cowlegend999
Groupie
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4953 days ago

72 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 87 of 200
17 April 2011 at 4:49am | IP Logged 
Just curious, based on the cefr language ranks, what would you rate your current
speaking/listening/reading/writing at? Also, how many words would you say you know?

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5820 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 88 of 200
17 April 2011 at 11:43am | IP Logged 
I'm still not convinced you wouldn't do better doing a 16 hour day and 8 hours of sleep (perhaps 8 hrs work, siesta, 8 hrs work, night sleep).

If extreme brainwashing works, I would imagine it probably works best for vocabulary anyway as a single item of vocabulary is far easier to learn than a single point of grammar, so switching to "not thinking" earlier probably still wouldn't have been very useful.

You're still going to have to catch up on sleep afterwards, so the time spent constantly repeating because you were too tired to take it in is time you've lost.

Maybe you'd be better working to the point of "can't concentrate" then setting your alarm for a 3 hour sleep (two complete sleep cycles) then getting up and pushing through to "can't concentrate" again.

Also, caffeine isn't recommended for continuous use. Caffeine works by encouraging the body to burn energy reserves quickly. It gives a short-term boost in energy and alertness, but at the cost of your long-term endurance. In sustained use, it can also lead to poor blood circulation, which impairs both mental and physical function.

This discussion contains 200 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version