Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

The Ultimate Accelerated Learning Exp. !

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
200 messages over 25 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 20 ... 24 25 Next >>
leosmith
United States
Joined 6359 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 153 of 200
26 April 2011 at 3:11am | IP Logged 
leyus wrote:
But after reading 19 pages of it I can certainly say that it was waste of my time reading through it.
Because of forum members constant attacks author

So it had nothing to do with the poor results? I personally don't care about the quality of BS a poster spits out. We've
witnessed some newbies really lay it on, then come up with some excellent ideas. It's rare, but it happens. In this
case, there was quite a bit of wheel spinning but nothing worth taking home.

1 person has voted this message useful

rapp
United States
Joined 5540 days ago

129 posts - 204 votes 
Studies: Esperanto, Spanish

Message 154 of 200
26 April 2011 at 3:58am | IP Logged 
leyus wrote:
Of course whole that pseudo-science put me off a little bit but I decided to ignore ridiculous theory and some overstatement as I did liked the idea.

Really? What was so intriguing about the idea? Because the pseudo-science is the part that annoyed me the most.

When you cut right through all the BS Abazid was spewing, all he was talking about was immersion for 61 hours without sleep.

Now pretty much everyone agrees that immersion is a good technique for learning a language. Some people take it to extremes, with success. I'm thinking about Katz at All-Japanese-All-The-Time. He apparently became fluent in Japanese in a little over a year if I recall correctly by immersing himself in the language 24/7 during that period, including having audio going during sleep. He himself says that there is no reason to believe that the sleep-learning attempt really accomplished anything, rather he just didn't want to leave any opportunity to learn untested. So yeah, if you clearly define your goals and work really, really hard on accomplishing them, you can succeed, maybe in less time that you'd expect.

But Abazid spouts nonsense about holographic universes and morphogenetic whatevers and how you can brainwash a language into your head in 61 hours? What is magical about 61 hours? Why not 37.5? Why not an even 100? If the universe is holographic, we're all still living in that same universe. Other learners haven't mastered a language in 61 hours. Nothing in his study program seemed specially designed to take advantage of that fact of a holographic universe, so why would his simple knowledge of that fact allow him to accelerate his learning?

So really all I see out of this is an epic cram session. Nothing more.

HMS
England
Joined 4916 days ago

143 posts - 256 votes 

Message 155 of 200
26 April 2011 at 4:53am | IP Logged 
The opening page of this website has a dedication to Mezzofanti the polyglot. It seems somewhat ironic that the content within contradicts the claims of Mezzofanti's alleged linguistic prowess.

He could 'hold his own' in Cingalese after only a few days study.
3 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4939 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 156 of 200
26 April 2011 at 5:17am | IP Logged 
HMS wrote:
The opening page of this website has a dedication to Mezzofanti the polyglot. It seems somewhat ironic that the content within contradicts the claims of Mezzofanti's alleged linguistic prowess.

He could 'hold his own' in Cingalese after only a few days study.

First, how do you know that he could "hold his own" in Cingalese? Everything written about him and his relation to this particular language says that he was aware of the linguistic system, not "holding his own". The one person that could account of his knowledge of the language (in the book "The Life of Cardinal Mezzofanti" states that he himself was not at a level to properly judge.

R.
==

HMS
England
Joined 4916 days ago

143 posts - 256 votes 

Message 157 of 200
26 April 2011 at 5:24am | IP Logged 
"When I left Ceylon for Rome," he writes, August 29, i855, "I knew but very little of the Cingalese language; a very small vocabulary of domestic words, and a facility in reading in Cingalese characters, without understanding the written language, was the full stock of my knowledge when I reached the college of the Propaganda. From such a master you might be disposed to augur badly of the scholar. Still it was not so.

A few days after my arrival in college, I was introduced to his Eminence in his polyglot library and study room in the college itself. Cardinal Mezzofanti knew nothing of the Cingalese before I went to the Propaganda, vet in a few days he was able to assist me to put together a short plain discourse for our academical exhibition of the Epiphany.

My own knowledge of the language, nevertheless, was not at that time such as to warrant my saying that he knew the Cingalese, or that he spoke it well. This, however, lean assert confidently, that, after a few conversations with me, (I don't recollect having been with him above a dozen times for the purpose,) he thoroughly entered into the nature and system of the Cingalese language."

Not bad for only a 'few days' would you not say?

I think Mezzofanti would have been ripped to pieces if he could have posted on here!

Edited by HMS on 26 April 2011 at 5:27am

6 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4939 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 158 of 200
26 April 2011 at 5:29am | IP Logged 
HMS wrote:

Not bad for only a 'few days' would you not say?

Certainly not bad for a few days. But that's not "holding his own", unless you have a very different meaning to that phrase than I do.

R.
==

HMS
England
Joined 4916 days ago

143 posts - 256 votes 

Message 159 of 200
26 April 2011 at 5:47am | IP Logged 
That's very possible. I would interpret entering thouroughly into the nature and system of something as that.

Maybe I should have said 'progressively proficient'

Regardless, how do you think Mezzofanti's alleged prowess would fare when judged against the criteria required here?

Edited by HMS on 26 April 2011 at 5:50am

2 persons have voted this message useful

rapp
United States
Joined 5540 days ago

129 posts - 204 votes 
Studies: Esperanto, Spanish

Message 160 of 200
26 April 2011 at 6:17am | IP Logged 
HMS wrote:
Regardless, how do you think Mezzofanti's alleged prowess would fare when judged against the criteria required here?

Singularly successful. I also notice he was willing to demonstrate his skills.

This discussion contains 200 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version