Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

The Ultimate Accelerated Learning Exp. !

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
200 messages over 25 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19 ... 24 25 Next >>
HMS
England
Joined 4916 days ago

143 posts - 256 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 145 of 200
25 April 2011 at 4:26am | IP Logged 
Thanks Abazid.

Too hostile around these parts I think. It would appear that some established members are too defensive and too quick to pounce on anyone they view as 'arriviste'. Almost as if they are petrified of being upstaged by a pesky new-comer.
I have learned from your experiment and conclusions, as I'm sure many others have.

Thankyou.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5190 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 146 of 200
25 April 2011 at 4:43am | IP Logged 
HMS wrote:

Too hostile around these parts I think. It would appear that some established members are too defensive
and too quick to pounce on anyone they view as 'arriviste'. Almost as if they are petrified of being upstaged
by a pesky new-comer.

If I was new to language learning, I'd be thankful for more experienced members protecting me from
snake-oil methods.

Edited by Arekkusu on 25 April 2011 at 9:51pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5365 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 148 of 200
25 April 2011 at 12:07pm | IP Logged 
Some interesting statistics on the subject of establishing and fixing connections in the brain. I might just have to browse through the GMS ("Giordano Memorization System") manual you recommended (although unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a bibliography or any footnotes for the experimental data in the copy I found just now).

I think it's a good strategy to review what you've learned through the Michel Thomas courses over the next few days, and with continued progress, hope it won't be too long before you're able to follow the Russian documentary with ease.

How are your plans going for the next experiment - I recall you mentioned trying out photo-reading and syntopical reading?

Edited by Teango on 25 April 2011 at 12:09pm

1 person has voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5239 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 149 of 200
25 April 2011 at 4:55pm | IP Logged 
I certainly don't want to prolong a debate that is about to end, but I would like to briefly outline what I take away from this interesting experiment.
First of all, it has become clearer in my mind that learning a language for active performance, i.e. speaking and writing, is a long, complex and cumulative process. This can be speeded up for sure, but there is a major effort of memorization and muscle retraining that takes time.

Secondly, using a language is for most people a social experience. At some point, most learners want to interact with other speakers, preferably natives. This is the real test. How can you use the language?

Thirdly, I think the reason many people here were very critical is not because they are evil and close-minded but simply because no one ever saw any tangible results, how modest they were. To call something the Ultimate Accelerated Learning Experiment and then produce a ton of discussion but not a single word of Russian is really asking for trouble. I think most people here are open to new ideas. But this one seemed doomed from the beginning because the premise for most people was so preposterous. I'm very supportive of this experiment, but I think it could have been handled much better.
4 persons have voted this message useful

apparition
Octoglot
United States
Joined 6459 days ago

600 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), French, Arabic (Iraqi), Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Pashto

Message 151 of 200
25 April 2011 at 9:49pm | IP Logged 
And with the turning of another winter's cold into a fragrant bounty of spring, another
batch of new members band together to protect each other from the harsh and cynical long-
timers of the tribe....

And so it goes... ;)
3 persons have voted this message useful

leyus
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5246 days ago

21 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 152 of 200
26 April 2011 at 12:52am | IP Logged 
When I started to read this topic I couldn't believe the scepticism. 61 hours of learning is 61 hours of learning, I've done some cramming in my live at uni and I know it is extremely underestimated, and most of the time it was beneficial for me, and all the myths of it not staying in your memory after this are made by bunch of lazy people who never made any effort to repeat information that they crammed. I must mention here that I wasn't ever learning for 61 hours and I consider it exaggeration but that was my only doubt about whole idea.

I must also mention that I was learning languages in small chunks as most of you, but at some point of my life when my English was already fluent I decided to go for about 8-12 hours learning a day for quite a while and I noticed that it was far more beneficial then small chunks (usually 15-90 minutes a day) as my thinking in English moved to a whole new level, so does my reading and listening skills. I think my brain forced to deal with such a massive piece of information in different language , droped a guard at some point and started to absorb knowledge faster. So when I read about whole idea I was very curious will that work on a very basic level, as I'm approaching Spanish now the same way I used to do with English - small chunks, lots of translations, some audio resources and bilingual text, because I thought that learning 8-12 hours a day will be pointless at this point. So I even considered changing my attitude at this point and I couldn't believe how most of users react to whole idea.

Of course whole that pseudo-science put me off a little bit but I decided to ignore ridiculous theory and some overstatement as I did liked the idea.

But after reading 19 pages of it I can certainly say that it was waste of my time reading through it. Because of forum members constant attacks author became emotionally attached to expected results defending ideas and theory before he even started. Ok fair enough, I would became defensive in similar circumstances as well if I would like to share some idea with others and without waiting for results whole world (forum=world :D ) would jump to my throat. At the end author published he's subjective ideas about he's level of Russian. If he would record some movie, audio, or connect with someone on skype and record it I would consider this as publishing results. However author never did that, that's why I consider whole that topic as a waste of my time, as I cannot trust judgement of someone who get some much involved into it, however I'm not denying that author might be satisfied with he's results and that's all what's important for him, however for me this topic is completely useless. I would consider satisfying any results which will lead to being communicative with native or being able to read some simple texts. It will actually make me jump to booking holiday and staring my adventure with Spanish from 7 days of 12 hours learning a day because from there my small chunks can be more beneficial then from where I am now!

However as there was no results published I will stick to what I'm doing as I see no reasonable arguments to try any idea if I have pretty good experience with learning languages, so if I know I'm doing something correct I'm not going to try unproven methods. Some people did mention that they have learned few things from that topic. I've learned three things: I don't know what some of you guys are smoking, but I know I would love to get some. I would also recommend you halve the doses as it is far to strong for you. If you will ever consider levitation course from one of those websites I will certainly recommend changing your dealer without hesitation.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 200 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version