Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

The Ultimate Accelerated Learning Exp. !

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
200 messages over 25 pages: 13 4 5 6 7 ... 2 ... 24 25 Next >>
tbone
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4804 days ago

92 posts - 132 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 9 of 200
06 April 2011 at 6:03am | IP Logged 
Popular Science, Dec 1968 mentions the 61-hour experiment:

http://books.google.com/books?
id=D9QDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA10&lpg=PA10&dq=synectics+international+ Spanish+language&source=bl&ots=6KHam
4-
1Em&sig=w_YshE0ND2thyKFpCi8Av9HBoPQ&hl=en&ei=SeObTevyMoH4sAO H2aGcBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=res
ult&resnum=9&ved=0CGAQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=synectics%20interna tional%20spanish%20language&f=false

as done by a Canadian think-tank on a Canadian businessman. I would think the DLI would be all over this if it
were effective. (Ooh, maybe they are...could you brainwash languages into recruits and then make them forget how
you did it?)
1 person has voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5482 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 10 of 200
06 April 2011 at 8:48am | IP Logged 
Assuming that fluency requires a vocabulary of at least 10,000 words, then the 61-hour
session would require you to learn and retain more than 3 words in a minute, and repeat
this more than 3,000 times in those 2.5 days. On top of this, your brain would have to
be absorbing and making sense of grammar, plus thousands of idioms. It is unclear
whether or not reading and writing abilities would be crammed in there too.

The problem, as always, is that with this 61-hour experiment we have no information on
how the success of the experiment was measured.

If your ambitions are not too great, you could simulate the experiment by getting hold
of an 8 hour Michel Thomas language course, and listen and repeat non-stop, to the
whole course, 7 times in a row. I am sure that by the end of it you would have learned
a lot. You may even be able to astonish onlookers that over a single weekend you went
"from zero to hero". However, you could have done the same course over a few weeks -
and not feel exhausted at the end. So, I am unsure what the benefit is.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5147 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 11 of 200
06 April 2011 at 9:15am | IP Logged 
As one who have struggled with Russian for a year without all that much to show for it, I am very interested in your experiment. Please let us know how you are doing. I am going to Ukraine in less than two weeks, so any method that would make me learn Russian before that is more than welcome. Best of luck!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5824 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 12 of 200
06 April 2011 at 12:40pm | IP Logged 
I'm not familiar with PhotoReading and the Wikipedia article is pretty damning, but leaving that to one side, I'll give you the same advice I give to anyone who suggests using any speedreading or accelerated reading technique to learn a language:

All speed-reading relies on the fact that we know the language in question. Our brain doesn't need to fully process every letter or even every word to understand a sentence, because certain things go together and certain things don't. "three ~~~ ~ half" is "three and a half" -- there's really nothing else it could be.

Speed reading is at best not possible in a language you don't yet know, at worst it's damaging, because you miss out detail.

In particular, speed-reading is dangerous in terms of prepositions (speed readers often skip the prepositions, seeing only "a short word" and letting their brains fill in the gap -- in fact, many normal readers work this way too) or inflections (conjugations/declensions) -- a good example of the latter is the French past historic. A lot of French people can't write in the past historic, but they can read it. They don't need to pay attention to the full form because they have pronouns to tell them which person it is.
7 persons have voted this message useful

Abazid
Diglot
Egypt
Joined 4830 days ago

16 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: Arabic (Egyptian)*, English
Studies: Russian

Message 13 of 200
07 April 2011 at 6:13am | IP Logged 

I'm curious what type of material are you interested in?

Mostly documentaries & video training programs that I can't find anywhere in Russian , Along some rare books .

Doitsujin wrote:
Abazid wrote:
Here are the methods I'm going to experiment with :
[...]
Photoreading & Direct Learning

You may want to first check out the Wikipedia Photoreading article.

Forget about this article , It's bunk , It's the first thing I've read when I wanted to learn photoreading , You should go to the forum and check out real people's experiences , You'll be baffled .

In my own experience , PR saved my ass so many times , I've passed tests that I would have never normally would pass in a very limited time(When you can only cram) , And I'm a science major , It really does work when you stick to it , And it's not really miraculous in anyway , Your subconscious mind receives 4 billion bits of information ONLY visually every single second , All this does is form a connection between the conscious & subconscious .

Direct learning is the advanced form of photoreading , Where you photograph 10-20 books in a skill you'd like to learn and going to practice anyway without any form of conscious reading , I've used this to learn drawing & painting from scratch .

Quote:

Abazid wrote:
61 hour Language Immersion(Learning & speaking a language in 2.5 full days through Brainwashing)

Sounds interesting. How do you intend to do this?

I'm real curious about the result of such an experiment , Mainly I will follow this :
http://superconscious1.blogspot.com/2008/01/61-hour-language -immersion.html

Without the instructors , I'll substitute it for 61 hours of audio learning material like Michel Thomas , Pimsleur & Rosetta Stone , Non-stop .

I'll try and expand & explain the foundation & science behind the techniques I'm going to experiment in my next post .

Here's the 61-hour deal:

Couldn't find the actual experiment, though. Imagine that if this technique works, you'd have to place quite an
amount of trust in your instructors.

Originally this exercise was from the book "100 % Brain Course" .

We're being brainwashed already on a day to day basis whether it's on your PC , TV , School , politics..etc , But I do agree it'd have to be someone you trust if you're gonna go this far with it , I'm sticking with Audio CDs for now .

It'd be interesting to see some actual results from this - interviews from people that have gone through it. If this were indeed successful, I'm pretty sure we'd all be lining up around the planet to learn a language this way.

I'd never heard of this before your posting.

Well it was very effective in Re-education during the wars , But I've never seen it myself applied widely in learning ,I've studied Brainwashing for a while , And the communist version of it , Was to add "Shock & Trauma" to the equation to induce multiple personality syndrome , And then through Brainwashing & Hypnosis , The person would have a shattered re-educated personality of a loyal communist along with his old american personality , Sounds too far fetched ? Research it yourself along with MPD , This probably why Brainwashing had a negative connotation .

When the brain learns a new ability -- physical or mental -- it needs time to create physical connections. The more you practice, the more connections you create. There is no miracle.

I agree , But time really doesn't exist and is different from each person to the next , We distort time almost always , So it differs from one person to the next according to the flexibility of his own beliefs .

Popular Science, Dec 1968 mentions the 61-hour experiment:

http://books.google.com/books?
id=D9QDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA10&lpg=PA10&dq=synectics+international+ Spanish+language&source=bl&ots=6KHam
4-
1Em&sig=w_YshE0ND2thyKFpCi8Av9HBoPQ&hl=en&ei=SeObTevyMoH4sAO H2aGcBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=res
ult&resnum=9&ved=0CGAQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=synectics%20interna tional%20spanish%20language&f=false

Thanks for the link !

as done by a Canadian think-tank on a Canadian businessman. I would think the DLI would be all over this if it
were effective.

Not necessarily , A good example is how water-based fuel was invented a very long time ago , YET we're still using oil , Or the abundance of creative learning methods all over the place and yet we're still functioning in the saggy memorize type of learning .

We'll see how it works ;D .

(Ooh, maybe they are...could you brainwash languages into recruits and then make them forget how
you did it?)

Yeah , That's absolutely possible through Hypnosis , It'll feel like missing time or memories could be even suggested .

Assuming that fluency requires a vocabulary of at least 10,000 words, then the 61-hour
session would require you to learn and retain more than 3 words in a minute, and repeat
this more than 3,000 times in those 2.5 days. On top of this, your brain would have to
be absorbing and making sense of grammar, plus thousands of idioms. It is unclear
whether or not reading and writing abilities would be crammed in there too.

The problem, as always, is that with this 61-hour experiment we have no information on
how the success of the experiment was measured.

I'm not aiming for absolute fluency , It's mentioned in the link above that in 12 hours the student mastered about 1000 words of vocabulary , I think that this alone is a very good start for anyone , And continuing would be result in great improvements , And anyways I've got nothing to lose and a lot to gain =) .

If your ambitions are not too great, you could simulate the experiment by getting hold
of an 8 hour Michel Thomas language course, and listen and repeat non-stop, to the
whole course, 7 times in a row. I am sure that by the end of it you would have learned
a lot. You may even be able to astonish onlookers that over a single weekend you went
"from zero to hero". However, you could have done the same course over a few weeks -
and not feel exhausted at the end. So, I am unsure what the benefit is.

Well first of all this is not about my ego , And I dun agree that there's no benefit in this compared with the normal routine , The whole idea here is that later it would be REAL easy to solidly imprint information in the brain related to anything ,And if It worked perfectly on American soldiers for re-education in such time , I dun doubt this indeed could be as effective , So we'll see what happens .

As one who have struggled with Russian for a year without all that much to show for it, I am very interested in your experiment. Please let us know how you are doing. I am going to Ukraine in less than two weeks, so any method that would make me learn Russian before that is more than welcome. Best of luck!

Thanks for your kind thoughts =) , I will .

I'm not familiar with PhotoReading and the Wikipedia article is pretty damning

That article is actually bunk (If you're interested in a more concise explanation check Reading Genius & Zox reading system sites), But mainly PR is different from Rapid reading , It's more like mental photography , And I've used it to study material as complex as physical chemistry , It helps on many aspects of understanding & memorizing and saves a lot of time .

In this case it would be the mental photography of a dictionary , Along with many other russian language books before starting the learning process .

All speed-reading relies on the fact that we know the language in question. Our brain doesn't need to fully process every letter or even every word to understand a sentence, because certain things go together and certain things don't. "three ~~~ ~ half" is "three and a half" -- there's really nothing else it could be.

Speed reading is at best not possible in a language you don't yet know, at worst it's damaging, because you miss out detail.

In particular, speed-reading is dangerous in terms of prepositions (speed readers often skip the prepositions, seeing only "a short word" and letting their brains fill in the gap -- in fact, many normal readers work this way too) or inflections (conjugations/declensions) -- a good example of the latter is the French past historic. A lot of French people can't write in the past historic, but they can read it. They don't need to pay attention to the full form because they have pronouns to tell them which person it is.

I completely agree , I've had the same experience while using it for memorizing complex symbolic material , It becomes normal reading .

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6395 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 14 of 200
07 April 2011 at 10:13am | IP Logged 
Abazid wrote:
Mainly I will follow this :

I don't get it. Why would you use this method when you could instead use the same site to learn to understand any spoken language? Much more useful. And you can also learn levitation and telepathy on this site.

So, uh, you're a science major, huh?
5 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5824 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 

Message 15 of 200
07 April 2011 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
Abazid wrote:
Cainntear wrote:
All speed-reading relies on the fact that we know the language in question. [...]

I completely agree , I've had the same experience while using it for memorizing complex symbolic material , It becomes normal reading .

If you agree, why are you even considering it?

The brain is not a camera and it generalises all input in terms of known patterns. If you don't know the patterns, it cannot process it subconciously.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5824 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 

Message 16 of 200
07 April 2011 at 11:48am | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
And you can also learn levitation and telepathy on this site.

So, uh, you're a science major, huh?

There is a skeptic in the room, and he is interfering with the flow of my psychic energies. I urge you to believe, or begone from my sight!

Ohm....

This discussion contains 200 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version