Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

The Ultimate Accelerated Learning Exp. !

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
200 messages over 25 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 24 25 Next >>
HMS
England
Joined 4916 days ago

143 posts - 256 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 185 of 200
26 April 2011 at 10:31pm | IP Logged 
This thread for me has kickstarted my getting stuck in to MT German again, after far too long procrastinating.I can now take away the OP's experiences and use them as some form of benchmark against how I feel my progress is doing.

From a social anthropological point of view though - I have learned a hell of a lot more.

Best wishes in your continued studies Abazid.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5143 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 186 of 200
26 April 2011 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 
szastprast wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
   but for all you know I may be a spotty 12 year old monolingual, American boy with a vivid imagination and really bad spelling.

This is an argument ad personam, calling anybody a spotty twelve-year-old boy with really bad spelling is not a magnanimous act of respect.

The OP said what he said, some people disagreed (including me), that's all.

Hm. My English must be worse than I thought. I do not understand what you mean, and I was not aware of calling anyone anything, I was merely pointing out that what we know about eachother is what each person tells about himself. I have said I am a female, Norwegian with a certain amount of knowledge. That has not been challenged. I have not been asked to prove it or make YouTube videos. The only facts people know about me is that I can write English, but am really bad a spelling, hence the reference to my possible American 12 year old persona. I have written a few messages in my other languages, but so little that it could easily be faked.

However we do tend to take what everyone say about themselves at face value. Why should we not? It is not like anyone earns money from making fake claims about their language skills. It is only when we get claims like "I learned 4 exotic languages yesterday and will do two more this afternoon" that we can know for a fact that this is not possible.

I would therefore put it to you, that the OP, or anyone else, new or old on the forum, should get treated with respect, even if we disagree. His claims are not impossible, just uncommon and unchartered ground.

I wish the OP all the best, I thank him again for sharing his experiment with us, and even though I am unable to follow some of his theories, I have been inspired by this. And I sincerely hope that other newbies do not get scared away from the forum, or from trying out new theories after seeing how this went.
4 persons have voted this message useful

aerozeplyn
United States
Joined 4957 days ago

141 posts - 202 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 187 of 200
26 April 2011 at 11:31pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
szastprast wrote:

The issue here is not respcet or disrespect, nobody called them names.

Yes the issue is respect. If we can respect only those we agree with, it is like granting freedom of speech only to
those we agree with.

Disagreement is not disrespect.

And nobody has impeded the OP's freedom to express anything he wanted.

You are right: disagreement is not disrespect. Even the dictionary can tell us that. However, it is how you disagree
that can be disrespectful.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5143 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 188 of 200
27 April 2011 at 12:00am | IP Logged 
aerozeplyn wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
szastprast wrote:

The issue here is not respcet or disrespect, nobody called them names.

Yes the issue is respect. If we can respect only those we agree with, it is like granting freedom of speech only to
those we agree with.

Disagreement is not disrespect.

And nobody has impeded the OP's freedom to express anything he wanted.

You are right: disagreement is not disrespect. Even the dictionary can tell us that. However, it is how you disagree
that can be disrespectful.

I agree. Most respectfully :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5239 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 189 of 200
27 April 2011 at 12:19am | IP Logged 
Respect and criticism are not incompatible. I have said on a few occasions that I find the experiment interesting and I have supported it and the OP. Mind you, I firmly believe that we are not really talking about language learning. I have called it jump-starting the learning process.

With all due respect to Sofrid Cristin, you have to admit that it's hard to swallow the statement that the OP has reached level B1 in Russian after MT Foundation over three days and little sleep. I was the one who asked for some sort of tangible manifestation of the OP's achievements in Russian. Not because I don't trust people, but simply because I am really curious to see what can be accomplished in three days. I'm not waiting to pounce on the OP with a "gotcha". O.K, it doesn't have to be Youtube, but, as I pointed out, the OP has not made the slightest mention of any issues with learning Russian. It doesn't have to be in Russian. No mention about difficulties pronouncing Russian. Nothing about the case system. Nothing at all.

All the theoretical discussion may be of interest to some people -- much of it looks like gobbledygook to me --but I really don't mind it. What I do mind is that there is no longer any talk about learning Russian.
1 person has voted this message useful

sabotai
United States
Joined 5691 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 
Studies: German, Japanese, Korean, French

Message 190 of 200
27 April 2011 at 12:43am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
I was the one who asked for some sort of tangible manifestation of the OP's achievements in Russian. Not because I don't trust people, but simply because I am really curious to see what can be accomplished in three days. I'm not waiting to pounce on the OP with a "gotcha". O.K, it doesn't have to be Youtube, but, as I pointed out, the OP has not made the slightest mention of any issues with learning Russian. It doesn't have to be in Russian. No mention about difficulties pronouncing Russian. Nothing about the case system. Nothing at all.

Some people keep talking about how Abazid wasn't treated with respect, but I found Abazid's behavior in this thread pretty disrespectful as well, and this is one of the main reasons why. He was pretty dismissive to those who didn't believe the same things he did and was quick with the insults from the start of the thread, but when people who genuinely showed an interest in the results and wanted some form of demonstration so they can see how far he had gotten, he responded to everyone with hostility and name calling. That pretty much told me all I needed to know.

Edited by sabotai on 27 April 2011 at 12:44am

5 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6248 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 191 of 200
27 April 2011 at 12:48am | IP Logged 
sabotai wrote:
s_allard wrote:
I was the one who asked for some sort of tangible manifestation of the OP's achievements in Russian. Not because I don't trust people, but simply because I am really curious to see what can be accomplished in three days. I'm not waiting to pounce on the OP with a "gotcha". O.K, it doesn't have to be Youtube, but, as I pointed out, the OP has not made the slightest mention of any issues with learning Russian. It doesn't have to be in Russian. No mention about difficulties pronouncing Russian. Nothing about the case system. Nothing at all.

Some people keep talking about how Abazid wasn't treated with respect, but I found Abazid's behavior in this thread pretty disrespectful as well, and this is one of the main reasons why. He was pretty dismissive to those who didn't believe the same things he did and was quick with the insults from the start of the thread, but when people who genuinely showed an interest in the results and wanted some form of demonstration so they can see how far he had gotten, he responded to everyone with hostility and name calling. That pretty much told me all I needed to know.

Two wrongs don't make a right. Abazid certainly could have done a number of things better in this thread, but he was also treated rather badly. Quite a few people have responded more dramatically than he did to similar treatment on this forum - which doesn't make any of this any better.

2 persons have voted this message useful

sabotai
United States
Joined 5691 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 
Studies: German, Japanese, Korean, French

Message 192 of 200
27 April 2011 at 1:01am | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
Two wrongs don't make a right.

I'm not saying they do, just that I'm not going to look on Abazid like's he's a victim here and feel sorry for him.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 200 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version