Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

The Ultimate Accelerated Learning Exp. !

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
200 messages over 25 pages: 1 2 3 46 7 ... 5 ... 24 25 Next >>
Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5194 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 33 of 200
07 April 2011 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:

Why not speed up the recording?

I think that would be about as helpful as speed-reading a very large document with many, many errors. What'll get engraved on the brain are the errors from the one student with the really bad pronunciation and grammar.

MT doesn't lend itself to that kind of learning, IMO.

R.
==

Oh come on, now, have you no faith?!? These are revolutionary methods we're dealing with! I'm pretty sure one could go through MT at 1.5x speed and retain everything.
1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5369 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 34 of 200
07 April 2011 at 8:48pm | IP Logged 
You could even break the experiment into 3 stages: Bourne Identity, Bourne Supremacy, and Bourne Ultimatum. :)

Edited by Teango on 07 April 2011 at 8:50pm

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5194 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 35 of 200
07 April 2011 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
You could even break the experiment into 3 stages: Bourne Identity, Bourne Supremacy, and Bourne Ultimatum. :)

I call the whole trilogy the Bourne Delusion.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5369 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 36 of 200
07 April 2011 at 8:54pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Teango wrote:

I call the whole trilogy the Bourne Delusion.

Just make sure you don't forget your name! ;)

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5482 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 37 of 200
07 April 2011 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 
Abazid wrote:
I'll now expand on what I'm going to experiment with and some background
on the techniques

I really cannot understand why you keep making inaccurate references to physics to
justify your experiments. Not only are they irrelevant to the discussion, but they
undermine the credibility of the methods you intend pursue. We don't need any pseudo-
science pre-justifications. Rather, I suggest it is better to let the results speak for
themselves.

Edited by Splog on 07 April 2011 at 8:57pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5824 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 38 of 200
07 April 2011 at 10:12pm | IP Logged 
Abazid wrote:
I'm not going to be using speed reading in this , I'm going to use the other methods I've listed and they're completely different .

This is not true , At any moment you're at least receiving about 4 billion bits of visual information , Their conscious access has been tested by going through them by Hypnosis , And the whole subconscious mainly operates through images(Holograms), What you're talking about is the bridge between the memory of the conscious (7 +/- bits of info) mind & subconscious mind , Which is a different story .

OK, so I only did an elementary course in vision processing, but I suspect you haven't done any.

First of all, the cones and rods in the eye are analogue, so "bits" is an totally inappropriate measure. There are only 120 million nerve endings in each eye, so you're assuming equivalent to 16-bit accuracy in each nerve ending. Why? I don't know and I don't really care.

Why don't I care?
Because what goes into the eye doesn't matter. I said earlier that the brain isn't a camera, not the eye.
There are less neurones in the visual cortex than nerve endings in the eye. The brain cannot take a "bitmap" of viewed information -- it has to filter the data. It does this in the first instance by identifying so-called primitives in the image -- basic shapes like lines and curves. It then looks for known patterns built up of these primitives. What we remember isn't the photographic depiction of a scene, but the elements within it. When we recall the memory, we don't view an image, we recall the elements. But because we experience vision in this way, it feels like viewing the image.

This leads to interesting quirks. If our generalisations change, the image changes. So our earliest childhood memories of our mothers will have the wrong haircut, for example. And when we think of childhood games with our brothers and sisters, our image is normally of their adult appearances rather than their childhood appearances.

The bonus of this is that as Alzheimer's sufferers lose their memories further and further back, their images of familiar people don't regress. So an 80-year-old woman who tells the nurse that her kids are doing well at school will still often recognise the 50-year-old son who comes to visit her after work.

Long story short:
The brain is physically incapable of capturing photographic images.
The fewer familiar patterns in an image, the harder it is to memorise.
2 persons have voted this message useful

rapp
United States
Joined 5544 days ago

129 posts - 204 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Spanish

Message 39 of 200
07 April 2011 at 10:46pm | IP Logged 
Abazid wrote:
In any experiment the factor of the observer expectations & beliefs completely influences the results of the experiment which is the basic principle of Quantum Physics uncovered by the double slit experiment :

I think you have the wrong model of what is going on here.

First, this isn't really a double-slit experiment, but rather Schrödinger's cat. And you are not the observer. You are the cat.

You previously existed in a superposition of the states "knows Russian" and "doesn't know Russian". But by starting this thread you effectively opened the box and allowed us to peer inside. Thus your waveform will collapse into one state or the other.

And if you are correct that "observer expectations & beliefs completely influence the results of the experiment", then you are doomed. We don't believe the experiment will work, so you will end up in the "doesn't know Russian" state. So you might as well not even waste your time trying.

It is just simple science.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Abazid
Diglot
Egypt
Joined 4830 days ago

16 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: Arabic (Egyptian)*, English
Studies: Russian

Message 40 of 200
07 April 2011 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
Unfortunately, I was hoping for some actual evidence rather than mumbo-jumbo.

Up until now, I was willing to keep an open mind, but not so open that my brain will fall out. Good luck with these beliefs and experiments.

Quote:
I really cannot understand why you keep making inaccurate references to physics to justify your experiments. Not only are they irrelevant to the discussion, but they
undermine the credibility of the methods you intend pursue. We don't need any pseudo-
science pre-justifications. Rather, I suggest it is better to let the results speak for
themselves.

You're very much generalizing here out of belief rather than knowledge ,For me to take your words seriously in anyway , You'd better be accurate & specific yourself about what looks to you as pseudo-science in relation to quantum physics , Until then , I respect your opinion , But it's just an opinion .

Quote:

This is starting to sound an awful lot like Keith's 2,000-hour TV method.

Never heard of it , How does it work ?

Quote:
I think the problem is that you are not doing this experiment to see if it works: you've already decided that it must work.

It's interesting how you could read my mind and my hidden intentions , But even if that's true what is exactly the problem with that ?

Quote:
You don't want to face reality and do the hard work needed to learn a language, so instead, you turn to magic and make belief.

Reality is pretty much a very flexible concept , So in this case it's your "Own" reality rule-set which is based on your own beliefs and life experiences , Meaning that this is the only viable way for you to achieve this , Because you've collapsed your own reality to such outset through such observation .

And obviously anything that seems to be extraordinary to the outsider can sure seem like Magick .

Quote:
If we are closed-minded for thinking this is nonsense, then you are oblivious to common sense and reason.

Common sense has been defied countless of times in Science , Pretty much if you were sent back to the past and told people that you could talk to people from foreign countries in your own home through your wireless phone or computer , You would be burned for the practice of sorcery/heresey/quackery..etc .

Yet if you're talking about science & knowledge here , Show me plausible evidence that this is bunk and I'll be glad to take you seriously as well .

Quote:
If you can demonstrate that these esoteric methods can award you more success than the rest of us have been getting through regular methods and plain common sense, you will be a model for all of us wishing to learn languages better and more efficiently. If you win, we all win.

However, if you fail -- and I think most of us have made it pretty clear that you will -- you must admit that in an effort to ignore reality, you have deluded yourself into blindedly placing your faith in methods money-seekers have hailed as miraculous.

Our eyes are wide open -- prove us wrong.

Well it seems to me that you've pretty much believe that it must fail as well , So there's no point in talking about whether it would work or not with you , In either case to me it doesn't matter , It's just an experiment that's meant to be fun , It's not a challenge .

Quote:
Learning a language *is* hard work, especially when it comes to speaking. And it takes practice - a lot of it. You don't just wake up one day speaking.

That said, that doesn't mean you can't also have fun. Hard work and fun aren't mutually exclusive.

R.

I agree that learning anything new needs lots of time & effort , But there are lots of mental strategies that save a lot of time & effort , And could cut one's learning time in half or even more .

Quote:
Can't speak for Rosetta Stone, but Michel Thomas get nowhere near 1000 words with its Foundation and Advanced courses combined. Don't know about a separate vocabulary course (I believe one is available for Russian).

Yeah , It's mentioned that there's more than 1000 words of vocabulary , I still need to figure out roughly how many hours each would take .

Quote:
But leave vocabulary numbers aside for a moment. Have you gone through any Pimsleur or MT course at all? Neither one are rapid-fire learning. They need to be done in sequence and you need to be relaxed.

If your plan is to just go through the MT vocabulary course, I'm afraid you'll be fumbling your way through it.

This is not meant to be rapid-fire learning/rapid reading..etc , It's meant to be communicative just like in the description of the exercise , And I've got 61 hours or more to go through each of them with relaxed ease , My tiredness later on might either help imprint the info more easily as I stop analyzing the info or vice versa , I'm not sure what's going to happen .

Quote:
This is complete rubbish. In what way do children learn a language WAY faster than adults? If it took someone here the same amount of time it took a child to reach basic fluency, their method would be branded a complete failure.

I've never understood the glorification of learning like a child. You've spent your entire life accumulating a whole
body of knowledge, and yet some people want to try to lock all of that away and pretend to be a mute illiterate again.

Probably because they've have no beliefs pretty much about anything yet and they're curious & non-judgemental , And they tend to have lots of imagination which activates both brain hemispheres , Increasing learning effectiveness and making the absorption of information to be very easy .

Most of adults not only have lost their imagination skills due to no use , But they have learned left-brain learning skills that decrease learning & understanding to great measures and all their beliefs account to lots of blocks in learning new things rather than being open, curious & experimental .

There was a study related to this , But I dun remember the reference :

"According to the National Education Association statistics, people’s learning curve rises almost exponentially from birth to the age of five, then drops inexorably from that time on. Before school, children take in life with a dynamic, whole-brain processing, naturally and easily retaining all that they are exposed to in the long-term ."

Quote:
These pseudoscientific theories will take your language learning nowhere. If they could, you'd be practicing them instead of defending them here. The reality is that there is a huge evolutionary advantage to learning other
languages, and on a more basic level, a very practical advantage too in business, travel, etc. And yet, over these
however many years and years, no one has come up with a "method" that doesn't involve hard work and perseverance. It simply doesn't exist.

This thread was meant to be my journal for scribbling down my thoughts and observations based on my own reality model , But it seems that it turned into a controversy & was hijacked into what "Would" & "Wouldn't" work based on what ?

Beliefs & Opinions based on biased experiences of people probably emotional about the fact that there's a possibility that they could have wasted a lot of time while they could have done something different that would have taken half the time , Which I could totally identify with , Yet like I said in the beginning it's not helpful because we're not discussing it in active skepticism , But in a judgmental & critical manner .

The funny thing is that I didn't even start the experiment yet =D !?

Quote:
I think you have the wrong model of what is going on here.

First, this isn't really a double-slit experiment, but rather Schrödinger's cat. And you are not the observer. You are the cat.

You previously existed in a superposition of the states "knows Russian" and "doesn't know Russian". But by starting this thread you effectively opened the box and allowed us to peer inside. Thus your waveform will collapse into one state or the other.

And if you are correct that "observer expectations & beliefs completely influence the results of the experiment", then you are doomed. We don't believe the experiment will work, so you will end up in the "doesn't know Russian" state. So you might as well not even waste your time trying.

It is just simple science.

I never said that this is a "double slit" experiment , I wanted to point out to the observer-created subjective reality model that pretty much determines how the wave collapses into particles , Hence objective reality .

And Yes ,This would be true anyways If I believe in the disbelief expressed by some of you, But it's based on nothing but common-sense based on your own realities, Hence there's no reason to believe it or disbelieve it , I'd rather be neutral .

Edited by Abazid on 07 April 2011 at 11:52pm

This discussion contains 200 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version