Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

The Ultimate Accelerated Learning Exp. !

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
200 messages over 25 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23 ... 24 25 Next >>
Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5147 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 177 of 200
26 April 2011 at 9:04pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:

The OP is in a bit of a no-win situation here. He's getting hammered by various people for:
a) Spending time writing instead of studying.
b) Not writing exactly what whoever's posting wants to hear about.
c) Not demonstrating competence via other means, such as video.
d) Not knowing things that this one experiment didn't even begin to address.
e) Not writing things out in Russian, despite having used an entirely-audio course.
f) Wasting time addressing/not spending enough time addressing every critique which comes his way.
g) Trying to explain what he thinks, and why.

I really wish that people wouldn't pounce so much on every newbie who's a bit flamboyant. It doesn't help the posters, the newbie, or anyone reading this... Most of the posts seem to be beating dead horses, too.

Is he drastically wrong about some stuff? I think so - but I don't have anything worthwhile to add to what's already been said in that regard. I still think it was an interesting experiment, I'm still glad he wrote it up, and I'm still boggling at many of the attitudes in this thread (including some of the ones supporting the OP).

He clearly also realizes that a lot of this has been a waste of time - not the experiment itself, but the energy used to reply to people here, and the sheer negativity involved. I don't mean saying that he's wrong, or that technique X would be better - most of the negative feedback here hasn't been even ostensibly constructive.

For an experiment like this, the first thing that matters is recording what one does, and the results of that. This remains useful information, no matter how wrong the explanations about why something does/does not work are - and I think some posters would do well to bear this in mind.

If I could have given this post 10 votes I would have.

Having been away for a week, I am reading this thread with more and more sadness. Not because of the OP. In fact, what I take away from his experiment, is the inspiration to try a major cramming session as a starter for my next language (though including regular amounts of sleep).

I did however think we were better than this, and more generous than this. And after having been here for just a year I assume I am still considered a newbie and therefore obviously not worthy of the same respect as the ones who have been here for years. I am sad also to learn that. I thought you got the same respect regardless of the time you had been on the forum.

I do not need to see an example of what the OP has learned. He tells us that he learned a lot, and that he assumes it is a B1. That sounds high to me, but I have no reason to doubt his word. I am happy that he has taken the time to share his experiment with us, and I can't really say that he owes us any more than that.

What does anyone know about anyone anyhow? I have posted a picture of a lady in her forties, said I speak 8 languages and shared stories of a long life, but for all you know I may be a spotty 12 year old monolingual, American boy with a vivid imagination and really bad spelling.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 26 April 2011 at 9:31pm

8 persons have voted this message useful

aerozeplyn
United States
Joined 4961 days ago

141 posts - 202 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 179 of 200
26 April 2011 at 9:30pm | IP Logged 
Ya, agreed with Volte and Solfrid Cristin. Abazid has accomplished many positive effects here--including a great sense of accomplishment for himself. (Whether that sense of accomplishment truly reflects his level of A1, A2, B2, whatever...it still feels good to him, right? and that will help him learn more of the language, whether it is right or wrong.) He has even inspired me to push myself more with my language learning--especially now that i have the time to even be on here and read the forum.

many other people are just plainly responding to shut him down. for the sake of pushing their experience of what is more accurate, they challenge him, disrespect his information and who he is as a person, feed him negatives of his positive experience, and spit on his accomplishment. They are no role model, no matter how many languages they've learned.

They should be ashamed.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5147 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 180 of 200
26 April 2011 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
szastprast wrote:

The issue here is not respcet or disrespect, nobody called them names.

Yes the issue is respect. If we can respect only those we agree with, it is like granting freedom of speech only to those we agree with.

9 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5194 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 181 of 200
26 April 2011 at 9:40pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
szastprast wrote:

The issue here is not respcet or disrespect, nobody called them names.

Yes the issue is respect. If we can respect only those we agree with, it is like granting freedom of speech only to those we agree with.

Disagreement is not disrespect.

And nobody has impeded the OP's freedom to express anything he wanted.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5194 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 184 of 200
26 April 2011 at 10:15pm | IP Logged 
szastprast wrote:
I suppose this thread should be closed, it leads nowhere.

There is no reason to close the thread. The OP should remain free to make additional observations should he feel so enclined.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 200 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version