United States
languageloft-ashley.
Joined 5046 days ago

66 posts - 76 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, French, Russian

Message 1 of 9
31 July 2011 at 7:19am | IP Logged 
     I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find any past threads.

I have noticed that these two series are often compared. However, I have only ever used Teach Yourself. I just wanted to know everyone's overall opinion of Colloquial in comparison to Teach Yourself. Also, does Colloquial really teach colloquial language, or is that just a fancy title for the series?

Thanks, I look foward to your replies!
1 person has voted this message useful

watupboy101
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4696 days ago

65 posts - 81 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 2 of 9
31 July 2011 at 8:57am | IP Logged 
I've never use "Colloquial" but I've heard the two products have the same approach... and they are big competitors.
So from what I've heard they are nearly the same. (Don't trust me on this though).

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4802 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 3 of 9
31 July 2011 at 2:27pm | IP Logged 
From what I've seen in a few of these courses (have been looking the most at the Swedish ones, and chose colloquial) and in some threads, it depends on the language you want to study. Both are based on the same approach and ressemble each other a lot but one might have better course for one language and worse for another.

I believe the Colloquial is just the fancy name.

KCor
Groupie
United States
Joined 4801 days ago

50 posts - 72 votes 

Message 4 of 9
31 July 2011 at 3:11pm | IP Logged 
I have used both the Teach Yourself and Colloquial series for German and I would
recommend the Colloquial version over TY every time if I was asked to only pick one.

That being said, they're both very helpful and can be attained quite cheaply. I'd say do
both. I will do them both again for my next language.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5804 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 5 of 9
31 July 2011 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
pineappleboom wrote:
Also, does Colloquial really teach colloquial language, or is that just a fancy title for the series?

The Gaelic course definitely teaches the standard language, so it's only a name....
2 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4923 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 6 of 9
31 July 2011 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
KCor wrote:
I have used both the Teach Yourself and Colloquial series for German and I would
recommend the Colloquial version over TY every time if I was asked to only pick one.

What specifically do you prefer with Colloquial over TY? I've only compared the two for one language (Norwegian) and have my own opinions on the differences (I like the exercises and puzzles in Colloquial, for instance), but I'm curious to know what specific differences you like.

R.
==

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6949 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 7 of 9
31 July 2011 at 7:09pm | IP Logged 
It's better to think of TY and Colloquial as competing brands since the authors have a fair bit of a freedom in how to express themselves when teaching the target language. As others have said, read reviews for each course that you're considering rather than stereotyping one series over the other.

For my money, the best courses from these two series have been:

Colloquial Czech
TY Czech
TY Estonian
Colloquial Hungarian (old edition by Payne)
Colloquial Slovak
TY Serbian

...while the following I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole.

Colloquial Estonian
Colloquial Slovene (current edition by Albretti)
TY Slovene

The rest that I've used are rather middling and so don't stand out for me as highly positive or highly negative.

Don't forget that courses in the series "Spoken World", "Hugo" or "Living Language" usually go for about the same price and are broadly similar in format but are sometimes better-received than what's in TY or Colloquial where applicable. Don't forget either about the learning materials for the target language that escape most people's attention because they're not from the big-name publishers but instead from publishers in the countries where the languages are spoken natively.

The following threads should be useful

A stereotypical but essential question
Choosing between TYS & Colloquial
Colloquial
Colloquial and Teach yourself
Colloquial Dutch, or Teach Yourself Dutch
"Colloquial" methods?
Colloquial vs Teach Yourself Portuguese
Long Sweep Technique for TY & Colloquial
Regarding Czech - the Colloquial series
Swedish: TY vs. Colloquial vs. FSI
Teach Yourself and Colloquial
Teach Yourself and Colloquial Cantonese
"Teach Yourself" or "Colloquial"
Teach Yourself products
Teach Yourself Series vs. Colloquials
The good and bad of Teach Yourself
The Colloquial series?
11 persons have voted this message useful

KCor
Groupie
United States
Joined 4801 days ago

50 posts - 72 votes 

Message 8 of 9
01 August 2011 at 1:30am | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
KCor wrote:
I have used both the Teach Yourself and Colloquial
series for German and I would

What specifically do you prefer with Colloquial over TY? I've only compared the two for
one language (Norwegian) and have my own opinions on the differences (I like the
exercises and puzzles in Colloquial, for instance), but I'm curious to know what
specific differences you like.

R.
==

It seemed to me that their explanations on how to apply the information provided was
much more clear than in TY.

However, I did go through the entire TY book before I started doing the Colloquial
counterpart, so perhaps a bit more exposure could have provided me an edge that I
attributed to Colloquial's method.

But again, I think I paid between $6-10 for each of them from eBay and was able to
download the audio from a torrent. At such a low price I don't see a reason not to do
both.

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version