katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6646 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Czech, German

Message 73 of 169
10 April 2006 at 12:10pm | IP Logged 
administrator wrote:
If you offer Russian, they do not look so smart any more and will safely retreat to their native language, which they speak better than you do anyway.

I actually tried this one time in a train in Belgium, when this creepy guy was sitting next to me, trying to talk to me. I told him in Czech that I didn't speak English. This turned out to be a huge mistake, because he was Slovakian!

Slightly different circumstance, I suppose, because I was trying to avoid talking to him at all.

So just be careful when you say you only speak Russian, because there's always that one in a million chance that that person speaks Russian, too. You just never know. Of course, it could simply mean now more Russian practice, a win-win situation.
1 person has voted this message useful

Bhashavid
Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6615 days ago

15 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: Dutch*, Hindi, Sanskrit, German, Bengali, French
Studies: English, Tamil

Message 74 of 169
17 April 2006 at 8:21am | IP Logged 
I had the same kind of incident when I was travelling in a city bus in Delhi, the capital of India. A man came to me and asked in English "Where do you come from". I answered in Hindi (I speak fluently Hindi) that I don't understand English. He replied in English why? Than I said why you said that you don't understand Hindi? The main reason is that in India many people want to show their countrymen that they know English and are able to converse with a foreigner. He looked around him to the working people who were also in the bus and were not able to speak English.
That trick didn't work now. That man who started the conversation in English told me that he is from Tamil Nadu. Tamil Nadu is in the far south where most people don't understand Hindi. But fortunately I had a basic knowledge of Tamil. So I started to speak in Tamil with that guy. I saw already that he had a nothern appearance. He didn’t know Tamil at all. The working people who followed the conversation bursted out laughing. It was a ridiculous situation. That man didn't know how to leave the bus as quick as possible.

2 persons have voted this message useful

administrator
Hexaglot
Forum Admin
Switzerland
FXcuisine.com
Joined 7165 days ago

3094 posts - 2987 votes 
12 sounds
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Personal Language Map

Message 75 of 169
26 April 2006 at 3:16am | IP Logged 
I can shed a little light on the reasons of this behavior from the other end of the stick too. Sometimes people who do not speak very good French insist to speak in French in a professional setting. If my English is way better than their French it really makes the discussion quicker, more enjoyable and more precise if we speak English.

In such contextssome people insist to speak in French "Because I need to practice". Now I don't work as a French professor, so it's a bit hard for me to humor the person and see the conversation drag on and have the person miss the finer points just because he fancies a freebie French lesson. Of course my original posts shows I fully understand the other position, but at the end of the day I think that if you speak the language poorly or much worse than the local speaks your own language, if he is busy or in a hurry it's quite understandable that the person wishes to use the language best spoken by both to speed the process up. After all you cannot expect to turn any person you meet into your language teacher if they have better things to do.

Of course you should try every time and most people will accept to speak their native language so that you can practice it, but if they don't want to, I now understand it's better to humor them. If you speak their language better than them yours, there is no reason not speak the local language of course.

That was my bit of light from the "other end of the stick".

Edited by administrator on 26 April 2006 at 3:24am

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6557 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 76 of 169
23 May 2006 at 7:34am | IP Logged 
I hope it's okay to resurrect this month-old thread. I myself, when
necessary, pretend to speak only German and Japanese — I could use
French too, but I think my German accent is better (thanks to my German
mother). Of course, when I tried that in Thailand, some of them knew
German too. :)

However, what it really comes down to, I'm convinced, is accent. If your
pronunciation is natural and close to native, people assume you're fluent
and don't bother trying anything else. If your accent is thick and foreign,
they assume you're worse than you really are. It's never too late to
improve your pronunciation!

I've heard plenty of people say they had trouble getting people to speak
Japanese while visiting Japan, but I've lived here 9 months and only had
this occur twice. The problem I more commonly have is people assuming
I'm more fluent than I am and speaking a hundred miles a minute. :) I
work hard on pronunciation, and I'm sure that's why.

PS: Bhashavid, great story. :)

Edited by Captain Haddock on 23 May 2006 at 7:36am

victor
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 7107 days ago

1098 posts - 1056 votes 
6 sounds
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, FrenchC1, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 77 of 169
23 May 2006 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
When I was in Montreal, Quebec, nobody made any attempt to speak to me in English, because I believe I didn't speak in a thick, foreign accent. (Some did attempt to switch to English because of my appearance though. But most of them switched back.)

Foreign accents just give you this idea that the person is struggling and perhaps the native speaker is struggling to hear what the person is saying. It's natural to try to make the conversation easier.

dmg
Diglot
Canada
dgryski.blogspot.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6800 days ago

555 posts - 605 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Dutch, Esperanto

Message 78 of 169
23 May 2006 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
I'm currently an anglophone (learning French) living in Montreal. I've found that over the past year as my French (and confidence _speaking_ French in public :) improved, fewer and fewer retail staff have switched over to English immediately. For me, it's a nice indicator of my progress.

Martien
Heptaglot
Netherlands
martienvanwanrooij.n
Joined 6894 days ago

134 posts - 148 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, Spanish, Turkish, Italian, French
Studies: Portuguese, Serbo-Croatian, Latin, Swedish, Arabic (Written)

Message 79 of 169
29 May 2006 at 5:14pm | IP Logged 
dmg wrote:
as my French (and confidence _speaking_ French in public :) improved, fewer and fewer retail staff have switched over to English
I think this is quite natural. Obviously English is your mother tongue but if people who aren't native speakers of English can easily pretend that their target language is better than their English.I remember how I was in Spain in 1982 in a hotel with a lot of UK citizens but since I had been learning Spanish for about 14 years at that moment, I actually did understand better Spanish then English so it was rather easy to convince all the hotel employees to speak Spanish. I remember that I saw on the snack list a "steak roll" and I really didn't know that "roll" was used for a sandwich or something like that. From the moment I asked for its meaning to a (weakly-English-speaking) waiter everybody in the hotel was convinced that there was no point in speaking English to me anymore. :)

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6492 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 80 of 169
07 August 2006 at 5:12am | IP Logged 
Mostly I would just continue speaking the local language if I am confident enough in it. If I can see that people just try to be helpful, then I may say that I find it most correct to speak the language of the country, or that it disturbs me to switch back and forth between languages. I might even switch to English just to accommodate them.

For instance I recently visited Moldova, a country that according to Lonely Planet has only 20.000 tourists per year. So I understand that waiters and receptionists and many other people go for English if they spot a Western tourist. I would do the same in their situation.

In a few cases however I have had the feeling that some service person just wanted to dictate the language, because they felt superior in English and just didn't care what I thought. In that case I would never bow, - I have had fairly long bilingual discussion with such people, where they spoke English and I spoke the local language.

The only thing I never would do would be to tell people that I just wanted to practice their language, - it is not their duty to teach me.

Edited by Iversen on 07 August 2006 at 5:50am

This discussion contains 169 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version