Joined 6683 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 65 of 169
15 March 2006 at 11:50am | IP Logged 
patuco wrote:
I've got to disagree with you there since I don't really like either accent.

Well, since it is a matter of taste, all views are just as valid.

patuco wrote:
This sounds (to me anyway!) like English spoken with a South African accent.

Which is no doubt down to my flimsy and apparently unsuccesfull attempt to render those sounds in writing. It is a US-pronunciation actually, of the more sterile and mechanical variety - hence the reference to robots and things.
1 person has voted this message useful

Farley
Triglot
United States
Joined 6881 days ago

681 posts - 739 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, GermanB1, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 66 of 169
15 March 2006 at 1:32pm | IP Logged 
Hencke wrote:
To me, a much more effective discouragement would be the robotic, antiseptic droning of the "Pimsleur man":

“Pimsleur man” sounds like a mid-western accent, something well north of Kansas – No twang at all.

Speaking of incomprehensible English, have you heard a strong “Southern Upcountry” or Appalachian Accent? I have heard a number people complain (native English speakers included) that a Southern accent is every bit as difficult to understand as an Australian accent. I don’t have a problem understanding either accent, but I have witnessed a few times when my southern accent, and the Australians I was speaking too, required a BBC translation to some second English speakers. I had always though of my accent being very mild and an Australian accent as something easy to understand. It must be something to do with the “twang”.

Martien
Heptaglot
Netherlands
martienvanwanrooij.n
Joined 6894 days ago

134 posts - 148 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, Spanish, Turkish, Italian, French
Studies: Portuguese, Serbo-Croatian, Latin, Swedish, Arabic (Written)

Message 67 of 169
15 March 2006 at 2:05pm | IP Logged 
SteveP wrote:
I found in Tallinn, Estonia that even if I asked for a sandwich or cup of tea in Estonian the shop assistants or waiters would switch to English.

And what about answering everything they say with "kuidas, palun?" (sorry what did you say?) :)

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6683 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 68 of 169
15 March 2006 at 3:51pm | IP Logged 
Hmmm. I did not have that experience in Tallinn. I generally adressed them in Finnish, and got a mix of Estonian and Finnish back from them.

nordantill
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 6613 days ago

16 posts - 54 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 69 of 169
27 March 2006 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
I don't really understand some of the messages here. Do you guys seriously have a problem to find people who don't speak english? This seems to me like a bit bizzare since the main problem for me often is the reversed.
For example when I went to Uganda, Kenya and Tanzania, which all have english as their offficial language, I had major diificulties to get by in english. My swahili is very bad but I had to rely on it all the time since there's wasn't anyone around who'd speak english.And I am not only talking about isolated villages in the middle of a savanna, even in the big cities,Dar Es salaam,Kampala,Dododma, Nairobi,Morogoro etc, was it hard to find english speakers.The most useful phrase during my trip was U na sema kingereza(=do you speak english), and the reply I got in 9 cases out of 10 was-No.
Ok maybe it's a bit exreme to bring up some of the poorest countries in the world. But how about France then? I've seen people here who have said that the french usually speak english to every foreigner. Well, I certainly haven't encounterd that whilst I've been there. I stayed in a small villiage in the south of France for one month and didn't meet one single person who knew enlish. It was "Je ne parle pas anglais" all over the place. Then I went to paris for 2 months and stayed with a French family. I hung out with people in my own age (around 20) and only met 2-3 people who knew any english at all.Ohterwise I had to rely on my French (which thanks to this became much better then it used to be).
I had the same problem in Italy, the only english speaking person I met worked at a hotel.
The only country where I haven't had any problems to find english speakers (except for England of course) is Holland.
Basically what I try to say is that it won't be to difficult to find people who don't speak english. As soon as you spend time with people outside the main tourist resorts you'll find that english isn't so widely spoken as it´s commonly believed.

Edited by nordantill on 27 March 2006 at 7:45pm

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6892 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 70 of 169
28 March 2006 at 2:09am | IP Logged 
I think there is some truth in the statement above. Last summer I visited EuroDisney with a family group. When it was discovered that I was "brushing" my French up, there were continual choruses from everyone who had been, was going with us, was thinking of going, knew someone who had gone, had seen it on tele.... "Why are you bothering? Everyone speaks English there".

Well, "it was English but not as we know it, Jim". Basically anything that was definitely a "discussion in a difficult context" (and we had a couple) you had better be able to speak French and on occasions even simple requests required my intervention because their English wasn't up to it.

On the other hand, I've been on some holidays in Germany when younger where some of the residents' English seemed better than mine :¬).

My personal strategy when going abroad is to pay no attention to whether they speak English or not and to simply try and communicate in the target language and if it ends up that we're having a bi-lingual conversation then that's fine.

EDIT: Regarding Paris, thinking back, my wife and I had exactly the same experience the one time we've been there. Only one person actually spoke (or professed any inclination to speak) any English to us the entire week we were there - a young lady in one of the "book a meal and a show" places opposite the Louvre I think it was. She identified us as English without me actually opening my mouth (clothing probably).

Andy.

Edited by Andy E on 28 March 2006 at 2:15am

Linas
Octoglot
Lithuania
Joined 6701 days ago

253 posts - 279 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Lithuanian*, Russian, Latvian, French, English, German, Spanish, Polish
Studies: Slovenian, Greek, Hungarian, Arabic (Written), Portuguese

Message 71 of 169
28 March 2006 at 2:25am | IP Logged 
nordantill wrote:
For example when I went to Uganda, Kenya and Tanzania, which all have english as their offficial language, I had major diificulties to get by in english. My swahili is very bad but I had to rely on it all the time since there's wasn't anyone around who'd speak english.And I am not only talking about isolated villages in the middle of a savanna, even in the big cities,Dar Es salaam,Kampala,Dododma, Nairobi,Morogoro etc, was it hard to find english speakers.The most useful phrase during my trip was U na sema kingereza(=do you speak english), and the reply I got in 9 cases out of 10 was-No.

Tanzanians are notoriously bad at speaking English, since almost all spoken communication is being done in Kiswahili, and English is reserved mostly only for formal writing in business, higher education, government etc. Maybe Kenians and Ugandans are a little bit better in English, however admittedly Kiswahili is more useful than English in these countries as well. A common man from street does not need to go to school to pick up some Kiswahili, he does it in street, while he needs it for English. In Uganda, the Luganda language would also be very useful, at least in Kampala, and perhaps more so than Kiswahili.   

JackFrost
Diglot
Canada
Joined 6597 days ago

17 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Swedish, Icelandic

Message 72 of 169
05 April 2006 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
Well, I did hear stories about this annoying habit from non-English speakers. I don't mind at all helping them to practice their English a little for their own sake as long as they let me practice their native language(s).

So far, only country I've been to is Canada to practice my French for several months. I rarely had someone speaking to me back in English when s/he found out I'm not a native French-speaker. They usually go on with French as I try my best to be understood, and usually they take it kindly and with patience. Perhaps it's the law I know of that it's required to use French if the client wishes to be addressed in French, unless the client states that it would be easier to switch to English or other language (like Chinese and Vietnamese for people in Montréal Chinatown).

This discussion contains 169 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version