Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5554 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 161 of 169
16 December 2010 at 3:52pm | IP Logged 
I have recently just begun speaking French with my girlfriend (who is half Belgian) as much as I can so I can go to Belgium to meet her family in a couple of months. Beforehand, we had been speaking mostly German and so she found it difficult and a bit strange to speak French with me at all. She wanted to help me but she was (is) someone who, once she uses a specific language with someone, she finds it difficult to break that habit and speak different language instead. So I decided that I would reply to her in French regardless of what language she spoke to me in. One day, a little while back now, after a couple of weeks of doing this constantly, she replied in French. It surprised me but it shows that persistence works wonders. Even with pretty stubborn people, as she is.

Jack
3 persons have voted this message useful

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5838 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Tagalog
Studies: Ancient Greek, Japanese

Message 162 of 169
19 December 2010 at 4:28am | IP Logged 
I agree with some who say it comes down to accent, and perhaps, confidence on your delivery. I have never had this problem in China, even before I could speak quickly, and I look typically Caucasian.

There were levels of absurdity. For example, I was on an elevator (in China) and the person asked in Chinese "which floor?". I replied simply "4". He looked astonished and blurted out in Chinese "Wow, your Chinese is fantastic!". It was a little silly, but it goes to show how surprised he was by the lack of accent.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Budz
Octoglot
Australia
languagepump.com
Joined 6161 days ago

118 posts - 171 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Russian, Esperanto, Ukrainian, Mandarin, Cantonese, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Korean, Portuguese, Bulgarian, Persian, Hungarian, Kazakh, Swahili, Vietnamese, Polish

Message 163 of 169
19 December 2010 at 6:36am | IP Logged 
Oh, don't get me started. The number of times I've said one word in Chinese - such as 'hello' and some Chinese person has switched to English and started going on about how good my Chinese is. It drives me up the wall. But this is mainly in Australia that this happens.

I think there must be more and more westerners speaking better and better Chinese in China as the last time I was there I was amazed at the number of times I'd have an interaction in Chinese and no one would comment at all. It was as if they hadn't noticed.

And if this isn't happenimg to you you're probably too close to Tian An Men!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4797 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 164 of 169
17 April 2011 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
Oh, sorry about reviving such an old thread but it is great! I've tried some of the methods used, except for the lying about my language knowledge. Continuing in their language didn't work. Pretending not to understand is just slightly better. And I am happy to see I am not the only one with this trouble, most Czechs keep telling me it's a nonsence because "the French refuse to speak English as everyone knows".

I have met this situation so many times, mostly in France. The English answers are the most usual case but I have seen something weirder.

We were in Alsace, me, my father and a friend of approximately the age of my father. We came in a restaurant and I started to speak with the waiter in French. She asked what language we prefer, offering German, Dutch and several others. I haven't understood why. The rest of the table didn't look that puzzled to start this but perhaps she just wanted them to react (my father speaks only czech and really bad English and the friend speaks only czech, japanese and a little Italian). People often seem to assume that the older people are the more educated and the ones that should speak for the group even though I am the one starting conversation in their language and I am not bad at it.

More helpful were people in Spain, around Barcelona. Except for one waitress, all responded in Spanish and even repeated for me (Spanish is still very fast for me as I am not too advanced). But once I was grateful for someone speaking English. An old lady needed something which I didn't understand and she started speaking even faster, perhaps calling me any my boyfriend bad names. Sudenly a man, of whom I'd never expected it by his appearance ,came and found out that we were foreigners and defended us from the lady. :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

cpnlsn
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5961 days ago

22 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: English*, French, German

Message 165 of 169
21 April 2011 at 6:07pm | IP Logged 
I think it's a big problem as it really deter ability to
communicate. From my recent travel in Germany this was
not too much of a problem. Of course it us legitimate to
speak in English to foreigners both to improve your English
and try to be helpful. With those putting in effort to speak
your language of course one should speak that language
unless communication is becoming difficult. My first advice
is to persevere in the first language. Other suggestions
might include pretending not to speak English, explaining
you want to speak their language and so on. One other
tactic is to reply in a short phrase in a dialect of the
language you want to speak. This can be a good way to get
across your keenness to talk their language and lack of
keenness to speak English. As of course with other
suggestions this can backfire if they respond in fluent
dialect (unlikely though).

Finally if you find yourself in the middle of an English
conversation then one can interject short L2 questions that
don't alter the flow of the conversation like 'ja wie sagt
man das auf deutsch?' (for German). One can also just
speak fast and complicated English but that's a bit unkind.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5169 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 166 of 169
21 April 2011 at 6:31pm | IP Logged 
I wish someone could actually record (or document accurately) the way this type of linguistic rejection plays out in real life so that we may better analyze and understand it.

I think there's more to be learned from looking at why people fail than by looking at why they succeed. I suspect that when they do succeed, it simply looks like a normal exchange. But why do others fail?

Otherwise, I must admit that I don't really get the problem. Usually, when I try to speak in another language, people are always supportive, even when the other person's skills are obviously better than mine. Perhaps I'm simply more persistant or stubborn than most.

Edited by Arekkusu on 21 April 2011 at 6:37pm

Budz
Octoglot
Australia
languagepump.com
Joined 6161 days ago

118 posts - 171 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Russian, Esperanto, Ukrainian, Mandarin, Cantonese, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Korean, Portuguese, Bulgarian, Persian, Hungarian, Kazakh, Swahili, Vietnamese, Polish

Message 167 of 169
22 April 2011 at 1:11am | IP Logged 
Yeah... a lot of exaggeration going on here I think. Of course now and again someone will want to speak English... but there are plenty of other people out there who can't speak a word of English... why not hang out with them??

As for throwing in some dialect as someone suggested... well, all I can say is that it's not much of a suggestion. And if it's a dialect that the other person doesn't even understand... it would be a pretty inappropriate thing to do anyway. In fact the other person might think that you speak it fluently and are just trying to show this person up - Ha, I'm a foreigner and I speak a dialect of your language that you don't...

Though more often than not I suspect they'd just continue in English and start explaining why it is that he/she couldn't be expected to speak that dialect.

I second they query... where exactly does this insistance on English happen? These people need to hang out in different places...

cpnlsn
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5961 days ago

22 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: English*, French, German

Message 168 of 169
22 April 2011 at 4:55pm | IP Logged 
Well I just threw in dialect as a suggestion cos it works for
me - every once in a while. There are negatives of course
like you might end up lumbered with a very strange
conversation. Anyway it's worked well for me in the past.
You if course need some words to say but being attentive
to spoken language forms as well as written forms is part
of the fun of being in the country where the language is
spoken. But really the key thing is having some ways of
handling such a situation if it arises.

This discussion contains 169 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version