United States
Joined 5766 days ago

202 posts - 208 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*

Message 113 of 169
13 March 2009 at 6:23am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I have just visited Alsace, and nobody tried to speak English to me (not even German).

Did you hear any Alsatian spoken among the locals? I hear that it's not as common with the younger generations.
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6492 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 114 of 169
13 March 2009 at 10:18am | IP Logged 
I didn't hear the true Alsatian dialect anywhere, but in my hotel I heard one member of the staff speak perfectly ordinary High German to another - and I suspect that there are many people in the region who are perfectly bilingual. But I have no idea about how many, and I don't know whether they then also know the Alsatian dialect, which to my best knowledge is as far from ordinary German as Platt and Swiss German (but close to Letzebürgisch).

By the way, many - if not most - place names and many personal names in Alsace and Lorraine are German, and some look distinctly weird in a French context (Riquewier, Molsheim, Haguenau..). In Strasbourg the streets in the historical center have both French and (old) German names. But people speak French. And if your French is passable I doubt that they will force you to speak English.

Edited by Iversen on 13 March 2009 at 10:25am

hoseline
United Kingdom
Joined 5478 days ago

10 posts - 11 votes

Message 115 of 169
28 April 2009 at 8:12pm | IP Logged 
Well i think its just a natural sense that most people are speaking in English.. they cant speak German or french i mean look.. if youre in a foreign country and they notice youre not a native why would you expect them to speak thai if the language thought worldwide as a second language is English in majority so you kindo of have to expect English to be the default international medium for languages.
for language learning resource try

http://www.econtrader.com
http://www.elanguageschool.net
http://www.bbc.com
http://www.babbel.com

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6061 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 116 of 169
25 May 2009 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
When studying German in the 1980s in Germany, I had trouble stopping people from speaking to me in English.

Martien
Heptaglot
Netherlands
martienvanwanrooij.n
Joined 6894 days ago

134 posts - 148 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, Spanish, Turkish, Italian, French
Studies: Portuguese, Serbo-Croatian, Latin, Swedish, Arabic (Written)

Message 117 of 169
26 May 2009 at 1:06pm | IP Logged 
William Camden wrote:
When studying German in the 1980s in Germany, I had trouble stopping people from speaking to me in English.

Never tried just to ask them "warum sprechen Sie kein Deutsch mit mir?" And what kind of answer did you get?

Gray Parrot
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5385 days ago

41 posts - 44 votes
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Portuguese

Message 118 of 169
08 August 2009 at 1:44pm | IP Logged 
I've had so many experiences similar to many of the above posts. I also had a refreshingly different one when I sat
by the river in Guangzhou. A father approached me with his young son. He asked me in Mandarin Chinese if his
son could practice speaking with me. I said yes, and was surprised to find that he wanted his son to practice
speaking Mandarin, as opposed to Cantonese; and not English at all.
2 persons have voted this message useful

NicoleW
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5340 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Arabic (Written), Japanese

Message 119 of 169
03 October 2009 at 5:53pm | IP Logged 
After explaining (in Italian) repeatedly that I came to Rome to learn and speak Italian, I finally stopped explaining.
Instead, some would speak to me in English and I would simply continue in Italian. Within a sentence or two they
would simply switch back to Italian.

But after one conversation that had gone on for about twenty minutes, the man stopped me, quite troubled, and
asked if his English had been that bad. I quickly assured him that his English had been quite clear and correct and
that I had simply come to Italy to speak Italian. From that point on a went back to letting them know that I was not
ignoring their English but simply immersing in the Italian. I realized later that he was just wanting to practice his
English. Everyone I met was wonderful and very helpful.

Languagelover
Heptaglot
Switzerland
Joined 7165 days ago

41 posts - 50 votes
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Latin, Ancient Greek
Studies: Mandarin

Message 120 of 169
12 October 2009 at 8:38pm | IP Logged 
In the film of Quentin Tarantino "Inglorious Bastards", one of the American character tries a very unconvincing "Buongiorno"which reminded me of the many Americans who try a "Bonjour" with an awful accent and a proud smile. In such case, I immediately switch to English. I have to say that English speakers are sometime shameless in trying to speak the local language in clumsy way expecter you to be amazed by their language abilities. All they deserve is to be answered in English in a rude way. I deal with many foreigners, and obviousely I speak much better English than they speak French, and I am sometimes exhausted by those who insist to use French in order to improve their French with me.

This discussion contains 169 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version