Joined 6189 days ago

58 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 105 of 169
30 October 2007 at 4:30pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
JokePro wrote:
... I think it is very rude and self-centered to deprive someone the opportunity to practice speaking a foreign language. There are plenty of places I can listen to native speakers, but opportunities to practice speaking with a native speaker are not as common.

I understand this reasoning, and if somebody in a country during one of my travels open and honestly tells me that he wants to practice his English I just might switch to English to help him or her (or them). If people clearly just are trying to be helpful I also answer in English once to show them that I understand what they said, but then I revert to the local language. Professional people in hotels and restaurants can train their English on lots of other travellers, so they normally don't need my assistance.

In Beijing and Shanghai, the staff at our western style hotels definitely spoke better English than I speak Mandarin. However, in Xian, Chengdu, and Chongqing, this situation was often reversed. Except for our guides, very few Chinese people spoke English very well. This is completely different than when travelling in Europe. Although my German is much better than my Chinese, many (if not most) Germans speak much better English than I speak German. During an exchange program in high school, I started conversations in German, but they often switched to English when I hit a wall.

Our local guide in Shanghai received her masters in management from Stockholm University. Oddly enough she doesn't speak Swedish, but she does speak some German. All of her courses at SU were taught in English, and she said almost everyone in Sweden speaks English.

The cruise director on our Yangtze River cruise was German. He spoke fluent Mandarin and flawless English. Often I would speak to him in Chinese, switching to German and eventually to English as the conversation became more advanced. He would address me in Chinese, but more complicated questions were posed in German. It was great. Obviously he didn't need to practice Chinese or English, so he focused on helping me practice. Anyone considering a Yangtze cruise should check out the Victoria Empress.

Edited by JokePro on 29 July 2008 at 5:14pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Grammaticus
Hexaglot
Norway
Joined 5542 days ago

36 posts - 40 votes
Speaks: FrenchC2, Norwegian*, EnglishC2, GermanC2, Italian, Russian

Message 106 of 169
23 February 2009 at 7:59am | IP Logged 
Kegel wrote:
Responding in an unfamiliar English dialect is obviously no way to go for me.

In the learning guide on this site there's the hint that you should congratulate people on their English, if they insist on speaking English to you because they might want to show they can speak it.

I'm in Norway right now and most people speak English very well, and I am quite sure they know they speak it well. So it would seem rather silly to me, if I told them they spoke English well (especially because they speak it probably better than I do).

It's not easy to get people to keep speaking Norwegian though. I guess people just want to be helpful and speak English right away when they notice somebody is not Norwegian.

It's sometimes really weird when I've led a conversation in Norwegian with somebody, but a few minutes later they speak English with me again.

Sehr ärgerlich, nicht wahr?

I've had the same experience in Germany and Austria. Germanic people are terrible at this, it's like if we have some aversion for our own languages. And all these annoying uncultured people showing off their English...(often, they're not even the ones who speak it the best). I've witnessed the situations you're describing time and again. Even though my German is C2 level and well above the English spoken by most Germans, your compatriates still sometimes switch to English for no apparent reason, right in the middle of a conversation. I am not surprised you're witnessing the same in Norway. These days, most people just assume English is the only valid foreign language. Btw. it's not the slightest of paradoxes how we push non-western immigrants to learn our languages, but do everything possible to impede other westerners from learning them.

Fortsatt lykke til!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Martien
Heptaglot
Netherlands
martienvanwanrooij.n
Joined 6894 days ago

134 posts - 148 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, Spanish, Turkish, Italian, French
Studies: Portuguese, Serbo-Croatian, Latin, Swedish, Arabic (Written)

Message 107 of 169
23 February 2009 at 9:22am | IP Logged 
Grammaticus wrote:

I've had the same experience in Germany and Austria. Germanic people are terrible at this, it's like if we have some aversion for our own

Germany and Austria are two countries where I never got such experiences, if they answer in English to my German (what they rarely do) I just tell them that my native language is Dutch and that I speak better German than English. Since you are obviously not a native speaker of English (and your foreign accent in German will not necessarily sound like an English accent) I think you could try to do the same.

QiuJP
Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5644 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: Czech, GermanB1, Russian, Japanese

Message 108 of 169
08 March 2009 at 1:58pm | IP Logged 
Hi, I am in France now and everyone in the city seems to want to speak English to me also. I think the reason is that there are too many people in my country who came here and speak only English! this is really frustrating for me as I liked French more than English( despite my level) and I would like to increase my oral and listening skills( which are very diffcult to master)

Lucky for me, I know Russian and I will reply in Russian to them. Sometimes I tell them this: Les états-unis sont l'ennemi de la Russie et vous me parlez en Anglais? Vous me rebaissez?

For those who know French, this is a bit rude but it really frigthens them and make sure they speak French!

jimbo baby!
United States
Joined 5766 days ago

202 posts - 208 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*

Message 109 of 169
08 March 2009 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
If you're struggling to express yourself in a language then they are right in trying to be helpful by switching to English. Sometimes people are pressed for time and they can't be patient and humor you with a free language lesson. But if you are a fluent speaker and someone still tries to force their English on you then that person isn't worth your time and should just be ignored. It should also be an indication that you have more work to do to try to pass for an advanced speaker. The accent might be hard to get rid of but as long as you speak fluently and confidently people will be less likely to switch to English during a conversation.

Alvinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 6023 days ago

828 posts - 832 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish

Message 110 of 169
12 March 2009 at 4:05pm | IP Logged 
the same thing happens in Brazil.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6492 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 111 of 169
12 March 2009 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
I have just visited Alsace, and nobody tried to speak English to me (not even German).

Lindsay19
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5610 days ago

183 posts - 214 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC1
Studies: Swedish, Faroese, Icelandic

Message 112 of 169
12 March 2009 at 10:28pm | IP Logged 
I haven't had the experience of people only speaking English to me yet, but I'm guessing it might happen when I go to Germany this Summer. I suppose if it so happens that someone insists using English with me, I'll start talking super-fast, with an overload of slang. That might disscourage them. I might add a funny accent as well. But hopefully it won't come to that ;)

This discussion contains 169 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version