Joined 5017 days ago

81 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English, Macedonian
Studies: French, Mandarin, Greek
Studies: Shanghainese, Uyghur, Russian

Message 153 of 169
14 December 2010 at 11:11pm | IP Logged 
Budz wrote:
That's absolutely brilliant!!!!!!! and hilarious.

slymie wrote:

Once you get better at speaking the language people stop doing this automatically. I'm at a disadvantage being in China with a white face as people will just expect you to speak English, but I've found the easiest way to get them off the idea if they persist is to engage then in a conversation about politics, current events, or anything their limited vocabulary won't see them through. You can even do it at a fast food place.

i.e.

Me (in mandarin) "Can I have the pork bone soup and two steamed buns."
Them (in broken English) "oklay sir, you wan soup and 2 bun. for here or go?"
Me (still in mandarin) "oh right, I was wondering does the oil you use in the pork bone soup contain trans fat? I'm trying to avoid them.Also what kind of meat and vegetables are in the steamed buns, do they contain genetically modified products?"
Them ".......... "

for a language this is not possible with, I would recommend greeting their English with a smile, and politely say (in their language) "I'm sorry, I don't speak French"

I actually got this the other way around, when I first started learning and a lady responded to my mandarin with "I'm sorry, I don't speak Shanghainese" it worked against me, so now I use it the other way! :)

1 person has voted this message useful

Pantherus
Australia
Joined 4891 days ago

13 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 154 of 169
15 December 2010 at 6:10am | IP Logged 
I'm doing a homestay in Japan sometime soon, and I think if I go to restaurants and they try to speak English, I'll just say in Japanese, "Oh, sorry. I can't speak English. I was born in Lithuana (because not many Japanese people would speak Lithuanian)." Of course, during homestay I'll strike some sort of deal where we speak English for one day, and Japanese the next and keep alternating.

It's quite decietful, but sometimes necessary if you really want to learn the language.

mr_chinnery
England
Joined 5546 days ago

202 posts - 297 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 155 of 169
15 December 2010 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
Why not just let them speak English and you reply in their language? Or start speaking
exclusively through Shakespearean quotations? That might throw them :D
2 persons have voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6061 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 156 of 169
15 December 2010 at 4:39pm | IP Logged 
I have occasionally spoken to Turkish-speaking people in Turkish and they reply in English, and the conversation continues like that. A rather surreal exchange of languages.

Martien
Heptaglot
Netherlands
martienvanwanrooij.n
Joined 6894 days ago

134 posts - 148 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, Spanish, Turkish, Italian, French
Studies: Portuguese, Serbo-Croatian, Latin, Swedish, Arabic (Written)

Message 157 of 169
15 December 2010 at 5:31pm | IP Logged 
William Camden wrote:
I have occasionally spoken to Turkish-speaking people in Turkish and they reply in English, and the conversation continues like that. A rather surreal exchange of languages.

Well I am Dutch but since I learned English only at grammar school and learned Turkish both through self study and in practice with immigrants more than 35 years for me it is easy: if I would go to Turkey I would just say them that I do speak some English but that my Turkish is better. I would easily say "belki biraz tuhafiniza gidiyor fakat Hollandali oldugum halde, benim Turkcem benim Ingilizcemden iyi, onun icin Turkce konusmayi tercih ediyorum" = it might sound strange to you but although I am Dutch my Turkish is better than my English, so I prefer to speak Turkish.
It could happen that people that have stayed in Holland for a while would show of their Dutch but if they are going to far in their pride I would gently convince them that Turkish is a better choice for communication.
As you see I wrote: if I would go to Turkey and you might wonder why I didn't. Well I had some experiences in Spain years ago, my Spanish is still better than my Turkish and I became so frustrated of getting answers in bad English just because of a very light foreign accents that I decided not to go to Spain any more and I don't feel like getting a similar experience in Turkey.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5170 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 158 of 169
15 December 2010 at 5:44pm | IP Logged 
Whenever I've explained my interest for learning the language, the people and the culture of the country, I've had nothing but support. But be consistent -- if you use English at any moment, you can expect them to use English too (because you taught them to).

Pantherus wrote:
Of course, during homestay I'll strike some sort of deal where we speak English for one day, and Japanese the next and keep alternating.

Why would you want to speak English every other day? Aren't you cutting your practice time by 50%?

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4919 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 159 of 169
15 December 2010 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
Martien wrote:
Well I had some experiences in Spain years ago, my Spanish is still better than my Turkish and I became so frustrated of getting answers in bad English just because of a very light foreign accents that I decided not to go to Spain any more and I don't feel like getting a similar experience in Turkey.

So you get some people trying to practice their English with you. Is it really bad enough to keep you from visiting the country? Seems to be throwing the baby out with the bathwater to me.

At some point, you're bound to get someone who is willing to speak to you in their native language. It may take some patience, though.

R.
==
2 persons have voted this message useful

Martien
Heptaglot
Netherlands
martienvanwanrooij.n
Joined 6894 days ago

134 posts - 148 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, Spanish, Turkish, Italian, French
Studies: Portuguese, Serbo-Croatian, Latin, Swedish, Arabic (Written)

Message 160 of 169
15 December 2010 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
So you get some people trying to practice their English with you. Is it really bad enough to keep you from visiting the country? Seems to be throwing the baby out with the bathwater to me.

At some point, you're bound to get someone who is willing to speak to you in their native language. It may take some patience, though.

R.
==

Ok I realise I could be overreacting a little bit but I have never been very keen at travelling, the only reason to travel were my language skills and nowadays there are still some Turkish and Spanish immigrants in the Netherlands who are willing to speak their language with me, there is msn, there is facebook, a lot of tv stations so I still can enjoy my language skills without the unconfortableness of traveling..
As I said it can sound weird but it's just how I feel about it.

This discussion contains 169 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version