Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 6472 days ago

33 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: English*, Armenian*
Studies: French

Message 81 of 169
26 August 2006 at 7:08pm | IP Logged 
This is so interesting to hear! I was in France this past summer, and me and the native french speakers would speak in french until they realized I'm a native english speaker (after hearing me speak english with a friend of mine). They would then not speak french if their life depended on it! It actually became funny, the waiters would ask a question in english and I would respond in french.

I see the issue though, they want to practice their english as much as I wanted to practice my french.

Edited by HyeLezûn on 26 August 2006 at 7:25pm

1 person has voted this message useful

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6804 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 82 of 169
26 August 2006 at 8:19pm | IP Logged 
HyeLez�n wrote:
I was in France this past summer, and me and the native french speakers would speak in french until they realized I'm a native english speaker (after hearing me speak english with a friend of mine). They would then not speak french if their life depended on it! It actually became funny, the waiters would ask a question in english and I would respond in french.

This has happened to me in France on a fair few occasions. It's an unfortunate turn of events, but I just did the same as you, i.e. continue speaking in French and accept that they're replying in English.

Martien
Heptaglot
Netherlands
martienvanwanrooij.n
Joined 6894 days ago

134 posts - 148 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, Spanish, Turkish, Italian, French
Studies: Portuguese, Serbo-Croatian, Latin, Swedish, Arabic (Written)

Message 83 of 169
27 August 2006 at 3:52am | IP Logged 
patuco wrote:
[QUOTE=HyeLez�n]I just did the same as you, i.e. continue speaking in French and accept that they're replying in English.

Well I think my reaction would depend on the level of the waiter's English. Let us say that your French is much better than his English I think you can kindly ask him to keep up speaking French to you. In some extreme situations I even said in Spain (to ex-immigrants) "sorry I appreciate that you want to improve your Dutch but I really can understand you much better when you speak Spanish to me". Another situation occurred in a Spanish shoe shop where the shopkeeper kept on explaining me things in very badly pronounced English (and sign language for the English words he didn't know !) : finally I couldn't stand it any longer and said "Okay now either you speak Spanish to me so that we can understand eachother or I will buy my shoes somewhere else". :)

Martien
Heptaglot
Netherlands
martienvanwanrooij.n
Joined 6894 days ago

134 posts - 148 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, Spanish, Turkish, Italian, French
Studies: Portuguese, Serbo-Croatian, Latin, Swedish, Arabic (Written)

Message 84 of 169
02 December 2006 at 1:34pm | IP Logged 
Again a very interesting link that discusses this topic this time from Estonia http://palun.blogspot.com/2006/06/most-annoying-habit-of-est onians.html

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 85 of 169
08 December 2006 at 10:29am | IP Logged 
jradetzky wrote:
Yeah, when I was in Germany trying to talk to natives in their language they always talked to me in English. There were a few people who didn't speak German at all (and they looked German!). In contrast I remember explaining in German how to find a street near the Kudamm in Berlin to a local black German boy.
I had the opposite thing, I asked people in English and they replied in German. Luckily I knew enough German to understand what they said and actually the reason why I didn't ask in German was that I didn't know the German for "excuse me!" :)

Aritaurus
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 6363 days ago

197 posts - 204 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese, English*, Japanese, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish

Message 86 of 169
02 January 2007 at 11:42am | IP Logged 
I never had this sort of problem in Asia other than in Singapore since every Chinese person's English is better than my Mandarin. I guess this trick can work if I tell them I only know Cantonese and Mandarin and no English.

Qbe
Tetraglot
United States
joewright.org/var
Joined 6924 days ago

289 posts - 335 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Japanese, German, Mandarin, Aramaic

Message 87 of 169
02 January 2007 at 1:44pm | IP Logged 
I've noticed something interesting recently. For the last 6 months or so I've had 2-3 regular Japanese conversation partners. When we started, we spoke mostly (about 75%) in English.

However, over the last 6-8 weeks I've begun encouraging them to speak Japanese more: not by asking, but by making more and more encouraging sounds when they speak the language. The more I encourage them, the more it sounds like I understand them and they more they speak Japanese. Now English use has dropped to 40-50%.

2 persons have voted this message useful

exocrist
Diglot
United States
Joined 6338 days ago

7 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: English*, German

Message 88 of 169
15 January 2007 at 5:03pm | IP Logged 
I just got back from Germany, and I haven't had a problem at all with people wanting to speak English with me. Over a three week period on my last "vacation", I don't think there were any times when any German insisted on speaking English over German, or even tried. The lady at the airport was a little surprised when she saw my American pass. :)

I think, unfortunately, accent is a really big thing. If your accent is "good", they feel like you speak the language better, and care less about any mistakes you'd make. I think part of the reason is because when they hear you talk for 20 seconds, if you have a good accent, they figure you're more likely to speak the language well, or be a native (if your accent is that good!). The problem is that that's not always true. There are also people who sound pretty good at first, but after a few minutes, it's apparent that the person isn't a native based on their acute grammar and vocabulary.

This discussion contains 169 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version