264 messages over 33 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21 ... 32 33 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 161 of 264
08 April 2014 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
A German-focused update, originally written for the team thread.

Just did some Dialang estimates and my vocab score is 275/1000. That's the third level out of six, not sure if it's supposed to correspond to B1 or not. The range is 201-400. I don't remember if it's the first time I've had this score, but I do remember scoring even 0, due to marking too many fake words as real. Also, the grammar test sayd I'm B1 too.

(Also did Portuguese and Italian. 493 in Portuguese, dropped to 374 when repeated. 378 in Italian. Portuguese B1 both grammar and [active] vocab, Italian B2 grammar and also B1 vocab. As can be seen on the previous page, I'm not really B2 yet)

I'm hoping to graduate from uni soon, for this I need to finish my diploma paper asap, and pass some exams in May, including German. It will consist of a text analysis (most likely something from Die Drei Kameraden that we've been reading) and some speaking, mostly a monologue but with some extra questions etc if needed. I don't think the preparation will be particularly useful for my overall German skills, but oh well.

Other than this, I'm also preparing for the Super Challenge. With German it's more about finding materials, hehe. I bought these recently: 1, 2, 3, and I'm also going to get Ludwig Thoma. Lausbubengeschichten, as an e-book adapted according to Ilya Frank's method. I'm also going to read Christiane F early in the challenge. I read a bit over 50 pages last summer.

I haven't written much about cyclical stuff recently, but I'm still reading Red Moon (Luna Rossa, also available in German at bookdepository). Note to self: the end of the cycle/beginning of the new one always leads to thoughts of death. Don't try to escape them, channel them into something positive and refreshing instead. And by all means, don't read medical stuff or keep these tendencies in mind.

Edited by Serpent on 08 April 2014 at 3:40pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 162 of 264
15 April 2014 at 12:27am | IP Logged 
More Dialang scores:
Spanish 351
Swedish 92 :D
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 163 of 264
18 April 2014 at 1:02am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
just saving swedish links
finntroll - fiskarens fiende
same with a Spanish translation
cool flash-based vocabulary pages with the clearest recordings ever

I'm finally starting to make sense of the Swedish pronunciation, I think.
some stuff in finnish, very similar to suomea ole hyvä that i once loved. gotta reinstall quicktime to listen
quickest summary ever. still so proud that i realized d in dj is pronounced in finladssvenska
historical stuff. oops i've seen the term riemuruotsia and didn't get the pun until now

more links:
martillo troll/trollhammaren
svart djup subtitulado/english translation and trolling
la canción del troll/trollvisan and more trolling

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4410 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 164 of 264
24 April 2014 at 4:04pm | IP Logged 
Thank you very much for the link to the Ilya Frank method. I downloaded a couple of items in Russian for the Super Challenge. Of course I'll have to count just half the pages since it's interleaved Russian/Englsih, but that will be perfect for me as a beginner.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 165 of 264
24 April 2014 at 4:55pm | IP Logged 
Glad it could help! Actually for Ilya Frank you can count 2/3 because each paragraph is printed twice, with a translation and without it. And this rereading is an essential part of the method.
I think the site also has parallel texts for Russians learning English and German. atamagaii also has lots of Russian materials for LR, get in touch with Volte :)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 166 of 264
27 April 2014 at 3:51am | IP Logged 
if you do one good deed your reward usually is to be set to do another and harder and better one.

φακ ιες, I'm kinda done with my diploma. well I still have some editing to do, but there's over a month for that.

So I come to the forum to chill out and, well, ouch.

I refuse to say anything bad about Kerrie but I need to respond.

Quote:
Well, for someone who logged 300 pages of spam in Italian, 400 pages of spam in German, 600 pages of spam in Portuguese, and more than half of your Croatian reading as subs for Disney movies (counted twice of course, since you also listed them under audio for a second language) ...

When I say I've read a lot of spam, I mean it. I wasn't just lazily clicking through the spam I get to make sure there's nothing legitimate, I was working. I would read messages and process them, and it was actually fun. Over a year it averages out to 1-2 pages per day per language, btw. And my internship ended earlier than it could have, because I would read and process the "interesting" spam instead of the boring messages in Russian or English. I don't regret it though. I got as much language learning out of that as I could. BTW, during Tadoku I cheekily counted spam as #news.

And yes, I counted subtitles for Croatian. I honestly never saw anything about L2 audio+L3 subtitles. As I said here, for me it's not about wanting to count things twice. It's about being creative. About variety and diversity, about showing the middle finger to the idea of a default person with default interests like movies.

The funny thing is that by now I accept that Cristina and I seem to have different values. I also suspect I misinterpreted "use your best judgement" as "don't be shy" rather than "be modest" :D

I care about being the best, true. I'm puzzled by people who say "you don't have to win" and always sound like they're waiting for me to fall. If it's not important, why act like it is?

I'm looking forward to the new challenge with a smaller load and stars. I love it, but I also love how it's not gonna own my life this time. And I love the thought that this time we'll all set more realistic goals from the beginning. It was great fun to add language after language together with Kerrie, but I felt lost when she changed everything :-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 167 of 264
27 April 2014 at 4:04am | IP Logged 
And I'm flattered that some people think I should start my own challenge. I rambled about that here.

I also have this passion about finding a new site etc and a week later knowing the features that most long-term users don't know, and having suggestions and exciting ideas. Apart from software testing, does anyone know of a job where that's needed? :D

Edited by Serpent on 27 April 2014 at 4:10am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 168 of 264
28 April 2014 at 11:48pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Serpent wrote:
just saving swedish links
finntroll - fiskarens fiende
same with a Spanish translation
cool flash-based vocabulary pages with the clearest recordings ever

I'm finally starting to make sense of the Swedish pronunciation, I think.
some stuff in finnish, very similar to suomea ole hyvä that i once loved. gotta reinstall quicktime to listen
quickest summary ever. still so proud that i realized d in dj is pronounced in finladssvenska
historical stuff. oops i've seen the term riemuruotsia and didn't get the pun until now

more links:
martillo troll/trollhammaren
svart djup subtitulado/english translation and trolling
la canción del troll/trollvisan and more trolling
MORE FINNTROLLING :DDDDDDDDDDDD
edit: and still more! omg i never even liked aristocats

Edited by Serpent on 28 April 2014 at 11:55pm

This discussion contains 264 messages over 33 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version