lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4309 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 169 of 264
29 April 2014 at 2:38pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

I also have this passion about finding a new site etc and a week later knowing the features
that most long-term users don't know, and having suggestions and exciting ideas. Apart from
software testing, does anyone know of a job where that's needed? :D

R&D and (incremental) product design I would guess ;)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 170 of 264
01 May 2014 at 1:15pm | IP Logged 
Reposting here my summary of the learning-based challenge.

Serpent wrote:
I've finally decided what my goals are. If possible, please keep the links when you copy my post.

Name: Serpent
Goals:
1. Multilingual: 15 GLOSS lessons
2. Swedish: learn 5 songs
3. Scriptorium: 1 page of Portuguese, Spanish, Croatian, Polish, German (choosing useful sentences for playing with the vocabulary later)
4. Portuguese: Read 13 poems by Fernando Ribeiro intensively and write my custom glossaries/annotations for them
5. Italian: Listen to episodes 4-10 of Radio Arlecchino and use various supplemental materials to cover or revise the respective grammar topics

--
(For my Swedish songs goal, I mean learning to the point of being able to sing along easily and freely. Being able to reproduce the song without listening to it isn't necessary)

1. 3/15: Croatian 1, Serbian 2
2. 5/5
3. done them all and Swedish
4. 2/13
5. Episodes 4-7 covered. They were about the subjunctive and I decided to dwell on this topic some more.

Given that I also got most of my diploma written, I'm satisfied. I was hoping to have 7-10 free days at the end of the month but only had 3, and on the 28th I still had a stupid presentation in the morning.

Even in these three days, I could've listened to the remaining Radio Arlecchino episodes (they're short), but I thought I'd focus some more on the subjunctive.

As for GLOSS and poetry, I think these activities are cycle-dependent for me. And GLOSS is a bit below my level at least in Portuguese, and maybe Spanish too. Specifically the reflective phase is a great time for feeling connected to someone or something. And a horrible time for having to listen to voices I don't like, including the accompanying recordings for many reading lessons. With some differences this applies to the middle of the cycle too.

Edited by Serpent on 01 May 2014 at 1:16pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 171 of 264
20 May 2014 at 2:07pm | IP Logged 
So, today I had my final German exam at uni. Among other things, I was speaking of how my dream is to become a polyglot, and obv I was asked which langs I already speak. I mentioned only English, Finnish and Portuguese, and the prof was like: what about German? LOL :) Maybe it's time to upgrade it to basic fluency, then. Especially as I passed the exam with an "excellent" (5/5), after like 2 hours of sleep if even that.

I'm still not satisfied with my passive understanding (especially reading), but I think with grammar I've simply lacked the confidence due to having every little mistake corrected in class. Well, now my formal classes are over for good :D

BTW I passed English with "good" a week ago (4/5). Of course the requirements are different, but still hilarious.
3 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5050 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 172 of 264
20 May 2014 at 3:08pm | IP Logged 
E agora você fala alemão também. Parabéns, Serpente! :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kronos
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5049 days ago

186 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 173 of 264
21 May 2014 at 12:12am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
So, today I had my final German exam at uni. Among other things, I was speaking of how my dream is to become a polyglot, and obv I was asked which langs I already speak. I mentioned only English, Finnish and Portuguese, and the prof was like: what about German? LOL :) Maybe it's time to upgrade it to basic fluency, then. Especially as I passed the exam with an "excellent" (5/5), after like 2 hours of sleep if even that.

Herzlichen Glückwunsch!

It's rare to see anyone setting out to learn a specific set of 10+ languages while almost still being a kid and then actually persevere and getting always closer to the goal rather quickly within the next couple years.

You are now on the road to becoming a true hyperpolyglot, though judging from your blog posts and profile you are meanwhile not too far from that either.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 174 of 264
23 May 2014 at 1:23am | IP Logged 
Danke e obrigada!

Inspired by the challenge in Asgård and a few other threads, I'm going to finally tackle the Danish pronunciation/spelling. This seemed to fit the Benny mission format well so I'll post my updates over there, because that's something I really don't want to lose. I'm definitely not leaving HTLAL though!

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3870 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 175 of 264
23 May 2014 at 2:15am | IP Logged 
Congratulations!

What level German are you now, B2?

BTW, did you see the video of the cat saving the kid from the dog?

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 176 of 264
23 May 2014 at 4:18am | IP Logged 
Thanks!
It's hard to define, really. I don't have the grammatical accuracy that I consider necessary for B2, and my passive skills are nowhere near as good as in Italian or even Spanish, but I fought for every bit of German that I know, and I think these bits are enough for basic fluency, especially after those remarks from the prof :D

no, I don't know what video you're talking about...

Edited by Serpent on 23 May 2014 at 4:19am

This discussion contains 264 messages over 33 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version