last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4022 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 113 of 264
26 August 2013 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
I mean, do you think that you could've been not Ravenclaw despite it
suits you well? In one of the books (fifth, as far as I remember)
Hermione says that Sorting Hat considered to put her in Ravenclaw,
but we're know how that ended.
I do agree that books are deep, I was lucky that I was somewhat
growing with them, the older I get the more serious books become.
And if I were to decide where to go in Hogwarts, I'd pick Slytherin. M
honesty could've possibly lead me to Gryffindor, but my selfishness
is winning that battle :)
1 person has voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4476 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 114 of 264
26 August 2013 at 7:48pm | IP Logged 
Via Diva, glad to see I'm not the only HP fan who would be in Slytherin. Gryffindor is probably the ONLY
house I simply couldn't see myself, though at age 11 I would have been mortified to be put in Hufflepuff. Like
any HP and HTLAL person, the intellectualism of Ravenclaw might have been appropriate, but I bet I would
have asked to be in Slytherin, in the hopes of becoming great. My Pottermore sorting quiz agrees (strong
Slytherin, some Ravenclaw affinity, total mismatch in the other houses).

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 115 of 264
26 August 2013 at 8:28pm | IP Logged 
I replied you in my new thread :) there are actually many people who are able to see beyond the stereotypes and identify as Slytherins. here is my fave blogger, for example :)

Kronos
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5049 days ago

186 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 116 of 264
26 August 2013 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Hard to say, as I'm finally experiencing the ease of reading that I had in Portuguese and Polish already last year. I'm reading a fairly easy book, Christiane F, but still it's a great feeling.

This book was a massive bestseller here, and a couple of years later there was a movie which was also very successful, and worth viewing if you find it. Lots of period atmosphere filmed mostly at the original locations in Berlin. But depressing.

The book came out in 1978 and was based on private interviews with Christiane conducted by two reporters of a German news magazine. The tapes of those interviews have survived. Here is a large compilation of excerpts. Unfortunately without transcripts.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

(The image of the girl is not the real Christiane, but the actress from the film.)

Edited by Kronos on 08 October 2013 at 8:51am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 117 of 264
26 August 2013 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 
As for myself, my biggest concern about Ravenclaw was the thought of "high standards". This reminded me on my old uni, where I was unhappy because I had to choose between getting a linguistic education and learning languages on my own. Now I think that those standards I failed to live up to were more Hufflepuff - "just work hard, and the results will come. If you don't work hard, we don't care that your English is already good."

So I'm definitely not Hufflepuff (I also have a somewhat twisted sense of fairness, maybe), and I wouldn't say I'm Gryffindor either. Maybe somewhat Slytherin, though that's again more of a friends' opinion than my own.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4697 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 118 of 264
26 August 2013 at 8:47pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
i think i'm skipping the august 6wc again

I have to say thanks to you (and a few other awesome language learning monsters!) I'm usually pleased if I get over 100 hours, and if I end up in the top 10. This time, due to doing more work than ever before + the fact that several of the usual top scorers are sitting this one out, I've been at number 1 for a couple of weeks! Thanks :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 119 of 264
26 August 2013 at 11:35pm | IP Logged 
haha :) i also didn't do the february one but i'll be back in november :PPP

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 120 of 264
07 October 2013 at 10:12pm | IP Logged 
I meant it only in terms of the 6WC, btw. I've somehow ended up taking a break from this forum. But not from language learning, never. Currently doing a Tadoku in Polish, Croatian and Italian.

I gotta retake four subjects at uni asap. Already passed one in September. And I've realized that this is where my multifocusing and multitasking becomes a problem. I just can't tackle them one subject at a time, heck by now I'd be done if I took one subject per week! Instead I keep seeing them as a huge burden, and I can't actually split it to get a gradual relief. Separately, most of them are nothing special. But the combination is just too depressing. Just like the combination of all my languages is more awesome than each of them can ever be. Or a book that combines them, such as Lux perpetua.

Also, the super challenge charm is just wearing off. For about a year, I happily lived in a "read as much as possible" mode, but this has been changing, especially since I discovered the game Criminal Case.

And one of the reasons is that I never thought much about my cyclic needs for reading. I expect October-December to be much better than July-September.

I've been thinking a lot today, yes. Because I'm at the beginning of a personal new month. [aww, my mum was so right to call it празднички, little holidays :))) it's very much like New Year and new moon]

I've felt a really strong connection with water today, and I decided to start doing the exercise of water, as described by Coelho in "O Diário de Um Mago", a magician's diary (normally translated as The Pilgrimage in English). BTW, it's the second exercise I've been practising, after the Cruelty one.

More relevantly, I've been reading "Red Moon" by Miranda Gray (Luna rossa in Italian), the awesome woman thanks to whom I love my cycle and love myself more. Let me stress again that you don't need to read her books or pay for anything, all the information is readily available and if you have a monthly cycle, the most important source of information is you.

I've also been reading the Moomins, also in Italian. These two books are so different and yet they fit this time perfectly! I'll now be starting lists of things to read in each phase.

Reflective:
-spiritual, whether deep or shallow (including horoscopes, MBTI, psychology and so on)
-self-help, self-improvement, planning and time management - a week later is the perfect time to actually start
-nice, sweet, unreal stories: children's books, light fantasy, folk tales. In my case the Moomins are just perfect. It's important not to feel depressed at this time.
-biographies, letters and other books with a personal touch (Severgnini for example), as it's a great time for understanding the person.

It's a good time for LR, as I've already noted. Keep books and dictionaries within reach.

Also, as with the cyclic stuff in general, it's totally natural to no longer want to read what you read the previous week. Yesterday, I was so full of excitement about Sapkowski that I changed my facebook photo for one taken in Wrocław. Today, this excitement is totally gone although the book is reaching its climax.

Random idea: it doesn't count for Tadoku, but next cycle i'll read about Benfica to feel closer to my team. calcio and Fiorentina count, though :)

This discussion contains 264 messages over 33 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version