Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
199 messages over 25 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16 ... 24 25 Next >>
zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5052 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 121 of 199
11 January 2013 at 7:01am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
вообще

Oh yeah! I know that one, people say that in Georgian too. :)

So, today I went over the cases again, and also reviewed a few other things I came across
in the process. I think I am much clearer on the cases now, but I know I am going to mix
them up still! I should write some sentences to practice and get used to them. I think I
will do that tomorrow, since now it's time for Georgian.
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 122 of 199
11 January 2013 at 7:39am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
.. and there's also в общем, which many people mix up with вообще. (native speakers, I
mean! a common "hybrid" is вообщем. ewww!) All three are quite interchangeable.

And which one is more common? The only one I am familiar with is вообще.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6346 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 123 of 199
14 January 2013 at 1:33pm | IP Logged 
zecchino1991 wrote:
Toffeeliz wrote:
There are some American shows like Big Bang Theory and The Simpsons too, but they do a terrible job of dubbing them. It's literally a translator just talking over the English voices!

Yeah! I've seen some movies dubbed in Russian and they were just like that! I wonder why they don't just use subtitles...

They do the same thing on Latvian TV and I think it's for similar reasons. Dubbing is too expensive but you have to have at least voice-overs because the viewers want them. They are not used to subtitles but they are used to voice-overs. I know that was the only way I watched foreign movies or TV shows when I was growing up and it seemed totally normal to me to have a different language in the background. I felt weird when there wasn't any, like in Latvian movies for example. Also, a translated text is always loud and clear enough (since it's from a studio), you don't have to strain your ears to hear it.

I'm not saying this way is better or anything, I'm just explaining how it is. Now that I know English I realize how much actually gets lost in translation so I almost never watch voiced-over stuff on TV anymore. (Thank God for the internet!) But that would be the case with proper dubbing as well.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 124 of 199
15 January 2013 at 12:54pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Serpent wrote:
.. and there's also в общем, which many people mix up with вообще. (native speakers, I
mean! a common "hybrid" is вообщем. ewww!) All three are quite interchangeable.

And which one is more common? The only one I am familiar with is вообще.
hard to say... вообще is more like 'actually' while в общем is 'in general'.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 125 of 199
15 January 2013 at 12:59pm | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
They do the same thing on Latvian TV and I think it's for similar reasons. Dubbing is too expensive but you have to have at least voice-overs because the viewers want them. They are not used to subtitles but they are used to voice-overs. I know that was the only way I watched foreign movies or TV shows when I was growing up and it seemed totally normal to me to have a different language in the background. I felt weird when there wasn't any, like in Latvian movies for example. Also, a translated text is always loud and clear enough (since it's from a studio), you don't have to strain your ears to hear it.

I'm not saying this way is better or anything, I'm just explaining how it is. Now that I know English I realize how much actually gets lost in translation so I almost never watch voiced-over stuff on TV anymore. (Thank God for the internet!) But that would be the case with proper dubbing as well.
Yeah, I like how the voiceover audio is clearer... Love using dubbed movies and translated literature :-) Too much of the stuff I'm interested in was originally in English...

What would be your preference for an unfamiliar and non-transparent language, btw? Like Arabic or Mandarin. I mean I understand if you prefer the original audio+subtitles for Italian, but what about a completely different language?

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 126 of 199
15 January 2013 at 1:23pm | IP Logged 
I tend to use в общем-то a lot actually. It actually makes sense what Serpent says
(obviously) because you might have come across the word общий - "general" so в общем -
"in general". It even gets a nice locative case to go with it.

Edited by tarvos on 15 January 2013 at 1:24pm

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6346 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 127 of 199
15 January 2013 at 3:07pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
What would be your preference for an unfamiliar and non-transparent language, btw? Like Arabic or Mandarin. I mean I understand if you prefer the original audio+subtitles for Italian, but what about a completely different language?

I hope zecchino1991 doesn't mind us derailing her log like that... This is quite an interesting question, even if very hypothetical. There are several aspects to it. First, it's the dubbing vs. voice-over. I think I'd prefer the latter because I'm more comfortable with it, more used to it.

Having said that, I'd prefer using subtitles in 90% of cases. It doesn't really depend on how unfamiliar I am with the language but on whether I'm interested in it at all. If we take Chinese for example, I imagine it would go something like this (hypothetically): I watch a Chinese movie with English or Latvian audio, I like it. I prefer not using subtitles because I don't care about the original Chinese. Then I watch another movie the same way, and another one, maybe a TV show. If I don't like them I'll stop watching them but if I do like them I'll inevitably become interested in Chinese and then I'll want the subtitles with the original audio.

This is quite close to what happened to me when I was a teen. I was into telenovelas, they had recently appeared on our TVs. That made me interested in Spanish and I wanted so much to get rid of the voice-overs but I couldn't, there was no digital TV back then. So I watched them with Russian voice-overs and Latvian subtitles (if it was on a Latvian channel). It was good for my Russian but not so much for my Spanish. By the time they started to become available on the internet I was already into different things.

One last thing I want to say is that the quality of the dubbing/voice-over/subtitles is important to me. If I had less than an intermediate level in the target language and the quality of the dubbing were much higher than that of the subtitles then I'd choose the dubbing. Also, I'm more likely to choose a dubbing or voice-over if it's in Latvian rather than in English. I may know English close to a C2 level but still, there's nothing quite like your native language, is there? It's much easier for me to lose concentration and zone out while listening to English than while listening to Latvian.

And again, zecchino1991, sorry for spamming your log so much, I hope you don't mind.

Edited by Evita on 15 January 2013 at 3:10pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5052 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 128 of 199
16 January 2013 at 2:47am | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:

And again, zecchino1991, sorry for spamming your log so much, I hope you don't mind.

Not at all! And it's not spamming! :)

I just want to say that I haven't updated here in a couple days, but it's just because
I'm lazy! I have been doing Georgian and not Russian, but I am about to get my Russian
book out right now. I have a week till I start Russian again at school, so I want to
brush up a bit.
:)

This discussion contains 199 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version