Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
199 messages over 25 pages: 1 2 35 6 7 ... 4 ... 24 25 Next >>
zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5052 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 25 of 199
18 January 2012 at 9:02am | IP Logged 
Wow! Thank you ! I will go check those out. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5052 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 26 of 199
20 January 2012 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Again simple questions, you just give one answer and you have 15
seconds for 5 questions. Then another person from the same team, who didn't hear the
questions, answers them too. There can't be repeats. Together the two need to earn 200
points. This happens rarely because of the time pressure and the extra pressure on the
second guesser who needs to find the balance between too common and too uncommon
answers. This pressure also often leads to random crazy/hilarious answers :D

That sounds like Family Feud. I'm gonna go watch all of the things you suggested right
now. :D

So for today, I will probably just watch shows and do some Teach Yourself. Also, I
remembered today that when I was in a taxi in Israel this summer, there was a Russian
song on the radio, so I Shazammed it and found the title. Today I downloaded it and
found the lyrics so I will use that for some practice. It seems like just a silly pop
song which is good, since they're not usually too hard to understand. It's called Все
входящие if you're wondering.

That's it for today. Next time I will probably practice writing something and post it
here for feedback. Do svidaniya :)

P.S. One random observation: when I was typing the title of that song, I noticed that
the Georgian keyboard and the Russian keyboard are laid out almost the same way.
Convenient for me. :D

Edited by zecchino1991 on 20 January 2012 at 11:57pm

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5052 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 

Message 27 of 199
20 January 2012 at 11:58pm | IP Logged 
Ah! I forgot to say. For the Romance portion I learned a Spanish song. I know that's
not one of the languages I said I was going to learn, but I decided I need to start
practicing again. I don't want 5 years of Spanish to go waste! So anyway, the song is
Me Gustas Tanto by Paulina Rubio. It's very easy. I understood almost all of it when I
read the lyrics. I did learn a word though: derretir, to melt. :D

I really need to work on my listening skills, though. I watched Sabado Gigante last
week and I didn't understand much of what they were saying, but I understood probably
99% of the closed captions. So reading is not my problem apparently! :X That's what
happens when you learn at school and nothing else... The hardest thing for me to
understand, even with subtitles, is jokes! I only understood a couple. They were very
simple, so it's not much of an accomplishment. For example, in one this woman was
walking around in the audience talking about how the Mayans say the world is going to
end this year, while passing out teabags to everyone. When Don Francisco (the host)
asks her why, she says someone told her the world's about to end so "Prepara-té!" xD
The other one was with two women and one was talking about how stressed out she is, so
the other told her "Well, when I'm stressed, I just take a shower and make love to my
husband and I feel better. Try that." So the other woman says ok and leaves for a
while, then when she comes back she says that she feels much better, and that "tu
marido es un maravillo!" Or something like that... lol. That's gotta be a really old
joke... xD There was another one called "Tuki tuki" and it involved 2 Arabs, or
something. I wish I could have understood it but it went too fast. Anyway, I will start
watching a lot of Spanish tv from now on. I want to actually understand Spanish when I
hear it!

Edited by zecchino1991 on 21 January 2012 at 12:07am

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5052 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 

Message 28 of 199
26 January 2012 at 1:46am | IP Logged 
So I've been listening to a lot of Spanish lately. I've been watching Spanish tv every day and listening to the
same podcasts over and over. I listened to the radio a tiny bit, too. I even understood a joke! So anyway, I've
basically decided to 'immerse' myself in Spanish.

I also started Russian again yesterday at school. The class is much smaller this time so I think I'll get a lot
more practice. So far we just reviewed what we learned last semester (alphabet, prepositional/accusative
case, phonology, etc.)

I changed my language learning schedule so that now I study Russian 5 days a week, including my class
which is twice a week. So I will update differently now (i.e. not every day that I study). Not sure how often yet,
we'll see. :)

Edited by zecchino1991 on 26 January 2012 at 1:50am

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5052 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 

Message 29 of 199
01 February 2012 at 6:57am | IP Logged 
I haven't updated in while, since I don't have much to say, but I feel like I should
write something. Today in class we reviewed chapter 3 of our book. It's mostly about
present and past tense verbs, words like какой and чей, the declined (prepositional)
forms of что and кто, and other things like that... I watched the same Spanish show I
always watch, and I think I understood more this time without subtitles! Actually, I
think the subtitles are a little distracting! But I need them... It's sort of
frustrating! Anyway, I listened to lots of Italian and Romanian music today, like always.
That's about it. :)

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5052 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 

Message 30 of 199
08 February 2012 at 7:41am | IP Logged 
Well, we finally started new material in Russian today! We learned times of day and
about a million different ways to say "class" depending on the context... The most
important thing I learned was that the times 2-4 use часа and 5-12 use часов. I learned
that in my Teach Yourself book but for some reason the way they present it is sort of
unorganized so I always forgot. Seems very simple now...

I am also starting to mix up Georgian and Russian! Right now it sort of feels like they
are the same language to me. I guess it's because I understand pretty much equal
amounts of each one. It feels weird though... I don't really know how to explain it.
For example, I was watching something in Georgian and this girl spoke in Russian and I
didn't even notice until the second time I watched it. I guess it's because I
understood what she said so I didn't think about it. It's very strange though, because
the languages sound nothing alike!

I watched Sabado Gigante but it was only two hours! It's usually three. Oh well! I
think I am starting to understand more, but the jokes are still hard! And they're the
best part, too! I guess I'll just have to keep practicing.

:)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 31 of 199
08 February 2012 at 9:06am | IP Logged 
Well, I think it's a very good sign if you understand something without even noticing it's in another language:)

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5052 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 

Message 32 of 199
08 February 2012 at 9:42am | IP Logged 
Yeah, but I think it's partly that I don't really understand Georgian or Russian, so it didn't catch my attention
even when I didnt understand her. Like I understood when she said "my name is..." and something else that i
can't remember. After that I couldn't understand, but I still didn't notice. I guess you're right though, at least I
understood "меня зовут" without noticing. Baby steps. ;)

This discussion contains 199 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version