2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 169 of 199
29 March 2013 at 10:30am | IP Logged 
zecchino1991 wrote:
This is really random and I don't know if anyone will know the
answer, but why is the name Heather written as
Хизер in Russian? Why do they use an И?

Is it pronounced with an [e]? Maybe some Russians do not know that.
1 person has voted this message useful

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5052 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 170 of 199
29 March 2013 at 5:38pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, I guess the 'ea' makes people think it sounds like 'и'. That makes sense. Thanks!

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5052 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 171 of 199
04 April 2013 at 5:29am | IP Logged 
I just discovered the FSI course for Russian! Took me long enough, I know...Anyway, I
have only listened to a little of it, but it seems useful enough. I'll definitely keep
that bookmarked. On a different note, I realized that I have way too many Russian
resources that I hardly ever use, so I am going to try and start taking advantage of
them. The reason I don't use them is because I have so many that it is overwhelming, so I
never know where to start. When I do use them, I feel like I am just jumping around
randomly and it feels very disorganized, so I never develop the habit of using them in
any meaningful way. This is probably because I am used to studying Georgian, for which I
use any material I can get my hands on. Resources are pretty scarce for that language, at
least compared to Russian.

Edited by zecchino1991 on 04 April 2013 at 5:30am

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 172 of 199
04 April 2013 at 7:54pm | IP Logged 
I used to have the same problem with collecting resources and not using them. It lasted for 12 years. It was stronger with Russian and German because these are vocabulary-intensive and have plenty of resources, so I just shifted from one book to another and I thought I'd recover from vocabulary burnout. It only changed when I decided, last year, I'd learn a bit each day with what I already had. I wish I had had this feeling "use any material I can get" before, with Georgian, for example. Anyway, now it's over and I try to keep discipline and to finish books. Good luck zecchino!
2 persons have voted this message useful

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5052 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 

Message 173 of 199
05 April 2013 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 
My dad got me this at the DMV:

Not the most exciting read in the world, and I can't understand most of it, but it's
still interesting. It has ads in it that I can kind of understand.

Edited by zecchino1991 on 05 April 2013 at 11:47pm

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5052 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 

Message 174 of 199
08 April 2013 at 5:31am | IP Logged 
I made a map of the places my mom and I want to go on our trip. We will probably have
to exclude a couple of these places, because we are also going to Israel and possibly
Azerbaijan and/or Armenia. The reason we are going on this trip is because my mother
wants to see the towns where her grandmother grew up. Problem is, her grandmother moved
around quite a lot! She was born in Orenburg and then, from what I understand, went to
the North Caucasus (Grozny and Stavropol Krai), and ultimately to Odessa. And I always
hear things about Georgia, so I guess she managed to end up there as well. So I'm not
quite sure which place to give precedence to, since I have no way of knowing where she
lived the longest. So we will try and go to as many of them as possible, but of course
traveling in the Caucasus can be problematic...

Anyway, here is the map I made:

I don't know where we're going to go first or what our itinerary will be. I'm going to
have to do a lot of research on that!

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5052 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 

Message 175 of 199
10 April 2013 at 10:32pm | IP Logged 
I have just started studying Georgian from a Russian book, and I have learned a lot of
Russian grammatical terms. The book I study Russian from at school explains all the
grammar in English, so until now I didn't even know words like "verb"! All I really
knew before was падеж (case). That is why I am going to keep a list here of important
terms I learn (both grammatical terminology as well as words that seem like they would
be used often in textbooks) for future reference.

вспомогательный глагол - auxiliary verb
глагол - verb
гласный - vowel
единственное число - singular
заменять - to replace
заметьте - note
лицо - person
местоимение - pronoun
множественное число - plural
настоящее время - present tense
неодушевленный -inanimate
одушевленный - animate
опускаться - to be dropped (i.e. omitted)
основа - root (of verb)
отдельно - separately, by itself
подразумеваться - to mean
правило - rule
предыдущий - previous
прибавляться к - to be added to (something)
происходить - to occur
раздел - section
согласный - consonant
сокращаться - to be shortened
спрягаться - to be conjugated
спряжение - conjugation
употребляться - to be used

Edited by zecchino1991 on 13 April 2013 at 6:05am

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5052 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 

Message 176 of 199
13 April 2013 at 11:56pm | IP Logged 
I have been updating about the new Georgian book I'm using on my Georgian log, but I
guess I should update about it here too since I've been learning more Russian from it
than Georgian so far. Although the book has a lot of example sentences, which I love, I
am actually learning more vocabulary from reading the explanations in Russian. They
repeat the same words a lot so it's no problem to remember them. It's also easy to
understand them from the context.

I just finished lesson 3, but I think to be on schedule I need to do lesson 4 today also.
So I will get on that, but I need a break! (And I have a song stuck in my head and it's
driving me insane...!!)

:)

This discussion contains 199 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version