116 messages over 15 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 ... 14 15 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6394 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 73 of 116
18 April 2012 at 1:15am | IP Logged 
Here's the link. I know this sort of analyzers are also made for machine translation.

And as I've already started dreaming :)) Even Microsoft Word can tell you: "hey, that's a colloquial form there" or "you've used the wrong case, wtf" so an ideal tool for intensive reading should explain this.
1 person has voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6740 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 74 of 116
18 April 2012 at 1:51am | IP Logged 
Cool! I don't think the US version of MS Word can do Russian, unless one can buy additonal language modules.

I have to say that with the languages I've tried so far the biggest challenge when reading has been simply figuring out the meaning of various phrases and idioms, as opposed to single words. The dictionaries that help the most with that are the ones I end up using. The feature I find very helpful in an e-dictionary is the ability to search for a given phrase throughout all the entries.

Edited by frenkeld on 18 April 2012 at 2:39am

Švejk
Super Polyglot
Canada
lingq.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4403 days ago

29 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Japanese, French, Cantonese, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese
Studies: Czech

Message 75 of 116
18 April 2012 at 7:09am | IP Logged 
Michael K. wrote:
Volume/dp/0801498279/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1334688313&sr=8- 7"> Is this the book, Steve?

If it is, you can get it for 50 cents on amazon.

That is the book. It is great, although in traditional characters unless it has been edited. A phenomenal resource.

Švejk
Super Polyglot
Canada
Joined 4403 days ago

29 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Japanese, French, Cantonese, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 76 of 116
18 April 2012 at 7:15am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Intensive and extensive reading are established terms on this forum.

I can assure you that my opinions will not be constrained by any established dogma at this forum, but will reflect
my own views.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Wulfgar
United States
Joined 4468 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 77 of 116
18 April 2012 at 8:39am | IP Logged 
Švejk wrote:
I am glad that Wulfgar basically enjoys using LingQ although he has some issues.

Steve, I don't think we're going to agree to anything more here. I've said my piece. I will continue to use your excellent product. Thanks for
creating it, and thanks for your participation in this thread.

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4788 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Swedish
Personal Language Map

Message 78 of 116
18 April 2012 at 2:56pm | IP Logged 
I was about to write the same thing, Wulfgar.
Normally, authors don't drop in (edit) and respond to reviews, when readers rate their
books on Amazon for example. I don't know if it is helpful, when Steve starts a
defending-LingQ-campaign
in a thread, which is expected to be neutral. Believe me, it is nothing personal (I've
read "The Linguist on Language" and I enjoyed it. I used LingQ for some time, and found
the idea great.)!
I found a very extensive and positive LingQ-review by Benny. In my opinion, it is
a fair review, and worth reading.
(Link)

Edited by Mae on 21 April 2012 at 4:07pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5526 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 79 of 116
18 April 2012 at 3:44pm | IP Logged 
That review by Benny is at least 2 years old, and based on posts he made in the LingQ forum (he's idragon there), I don't think he likes LingQ that much anymore. He did use it when he was learning German, but I don't think he's used it for awhile.

If Benny's reading this thread, he can give his own thoughts on LingQ and I won't put words in his mouth.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Švejk
Super Polyglot
Canada
Joined 4403 days ago

29 posts - 77 votes 

Message 80 of 116
18 April 2012 at 4:04pm | IP Logged 
Mae wrote:
I was about to write the same thing, Wulfgar.
Normally, authors don't barge in and respond to reviews, when readers rate their books on
Amazon for example. I don't know if it is helpful, when Steve starts a defending-LingQ-
campaign
in a thread, which is expected to be neutral. Believe me, it is nothing personal (I've
read "The Linguist on Language" and I enjoyed it. I used LingQ for some time, and found
the idea great.)!
I found a very extensive and positive LingQ-review by Benny. In my opinion, it is
a fair review, and worth reading.
(Link)

If my participation here is considered barging in, then I will stop commenting.

You cannot have a "neutral " thread, you can only have an open and free thread, where people express their
opinions, or provide information supporting different points of view. I felt that there were a number of inaccurate
statements made about LingQ. I provided a different perspective and different information.

I sense that free discussion is not all that welcome on this forum. I am sorry if I disturbed the cozy sense of
community here and will leave.

This discussion contains 116 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version