Language Learning Forum : Links & Internet Resources Post Reply
116 messages over 15 pages: 1 24 5 6 7 ... 3 ... 14 15 Next >>
Švejk
Super Polyglot
Canada
lingq.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4403 days ago

29 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Japanese, French, Cantonese, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese
Studies: Czech

Message 17 of 116
15 April 2012 at 11:03pm | IP Logged 
Yes we remove threads with a link to LWT,or simply promoting LWT on our forum, since we consider these
messages to be spam. We normally don't mind comments about other learning systems that are of interest to our
learners. In fact, the last two comments on our Forum were about LWT.

I have not tried LWT, but know that it promotes itself as a free alternative to LingQ. While we do not consider it to
be even close, we note that LWT encourages people to use the free content at LingQ, thus trying to take advantage
of the good work done by LingQ and its members.
4 persons have voted this message useful

tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 5866 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 18 of 116
15 April 2012 at 11:36pm | IP Logged 
Wulfgar wrote:
Anything with LingQ in the title will be full of this strange language learning technique brain washing. One of the first Russian lessons I opened, for example, was something called “The lingQ Manifesto”. So bizarre. It said stuff like “My goal is to speak freely. I don’t care about mistakes. I won’t study grammar. My goal is to speak freely.” Ok, that one was obvious. Then I went onto one that was called “a simple story”. It was a 20+ part story. It started out alright. Some woman was asking a lot of questions about her brother of his apartment building’s manager. To make a long story short, the lady bribed the manager to let her into her brother’s apartment so that she could break up her brother’s relationship. When her brother’s alleged girlfriend walked in, she started spouting lingQ philosophy. I couldn’t believe it. So now I know to avoid stories with lingQ in the title.

so, I could safely assume you do not like esperanto either? xD

Wulfgar wrote:
I don’t use points. I’m actually interested in some of the services, but I refuse to use points because they expire. You have a limited
amount of time to use them. Pretty much all the members hate this, and there are frequent threads arguing about this.

unfortunately I'll have to say: true that

Wulfgar wrote:
The forum has a lot of good content and contributors, but it’s ugly and not well organized.

fair enough. btw, do you think this forum (HTLAL) is any "可愛い"?

Wulfgar wrote:
It’s impossible to PM other members. If you want to share your email in private, you need to make them your friend and make your
email visible by your friends.

yep

Wulfgar wrote:
..and stay out of the forums.

why? cause they're not "kawaii" enough? cause there isn't a quote button?

Wulfgar wrote:
I consider HTLAL to be more like neutral territory.

not really.. as you enjoy making reviews, why don't you try to review this forum the same way you did with the Lingq one (but please, don't use the kawaii point again xD) and post it right here.. let's prove that neutral theory

there are zillions of closed/deleted post here. reasons? too many.. some of them are quite understandable; some of them seem to be a lil bit random. but that's ok..
maybe you don't know this forum the way you think you do.. so, I consider HTLAL isn't that neutral.. if there is one thing I really like about Lingq is that: I'm able to use my words and even able to be as dumb as I really am without being afraid to be banned for "not proper use of English" (I have some pretty kawaii privates warning me about my poor English -pretty obvious considering I'm still trying to learn it)
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4806 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 19 of 116
15 April 2012 at 11:37pm | IP Logged 
math82 wrote:
Complaints about lack of free LinkQs? Well you're saying "why can't I use
this for free?".

I am not complaining and don't say I should have unlimited lingqs for free. I'm just
saying that so few do not motivate me to trully explore all the tools and get used to
using the site and therefore do not motivate me to seriously consider the paid services.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Švejk
Super Polyglot
Canada
lingq.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4403 days ago

29 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Japanese, French, Cantonese, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese
Studies: Czech

Message 20 of 116
15 April 2012 at 11:55pm | IP Logged 
I must agree with tmp (thermo-mechanical pulp?) that, to me, the freedom to express one's opinions is more
important than fancy features and detailed rules in a forum. I was taken aback by the admonition, upon registering
today, "unless you can spell, don't write it" or words to that effect. Some years ago when I used to visit this forum, I
remember seeing words with funny * signs, not because someone had misspelled a word, but because some
automatic system assumed they had or that they had used a bad word. I also remember that moderators could stop
threads if, in their subjective opinion, the conversation had strayed from the subject.

We don't do that at LingQ forums. You can spell however you like. You can misuse a number of different
languages. You can ask to be corrected, but otherwise will be left alone. You can also stray from the subject, and
some of these diversions are more interesting than the original subject. The threads take on a life of their own.

But each Forum or website can set its own rules, and users can either comply or go elsewhere.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5563 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 21 of 116
16 April 2012 at 12:13am | IP Logged 
Švejk wrote:
7) There is no need to click on each blue word. On your first few lessons you can eliminate all the blue words with one click. Thereafter you can also use QuicklingQ to go after new blue words.

I'm not exactly computer illiterate, but at the time I tried lingq (I don't remember when exactly, but it's been a while) I either couldn't find such a feature or it wasn't yet implemented.

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4788 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Swedish
Personal Language Map

Message 22 of 116
16 April 2012 at 12:16am | IP Logged 
"Švejk" = "Zhuangzi" I guess...
4 persons have voted this message useful

tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 5866 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 23 of 116
16 April 2012 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
Švejk wrote:
..(thermo-mechanical pulp?)

nope.. something more like deinked pulp

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6394 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 24 of 116
16 April 2012 at 1:21am | IP Logged 
tmp011007 wrote:
so, I could safely assume you do not like esperanto either? xD
Esperanto ideology means tons and tons of free materials. LingQ ideology justifies why they want your money.

Edited by Serpent on 16 April 2012 at 1:22am

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 116 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version