Language Learning Forum : Links & Internet Resources Post Reply
116 messages over 15 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 ... 14 15 Next >>
Ċ vejk
Super Polyglot
Canada
lingq.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4403 days ago

29 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Japanese, French, Cantonese, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese
Studies: Czech

Message 65 of 116
17 April 2012 at 7:54pm | IP Logged 
In terms of learning grammar through patterns rather than explanations and drills, I should mention one of my
favourite language books, and the one that most influenced my approach to language learning.

Intermediate Reader in Modern Chinese by Harriet Mills and P.S. Ni, Cornell University Press 1967. I don't know if it
is still available.
1 person has voted this message useful

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5526 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 66 of 116
17 April 2012 at 8:47pm | IP Logged 
Is this the book, Steve?

If it is, you can get it for 50 cents on amazon.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6394 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 67 of 116
17 April 2012 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
Intensive and extensive reading are established terms on this forum.

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6740 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 68 of 116
17 April 2012 at 11:52pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Intensive and extensive reading are established terms on this forum.

This terminology goes way beyond the forum. Just google for something like 'extensive and intensive reading' and you'll see a ton of links. Intensive reading does include structure, as seen, e.g., in, 'It provides a basis for explaining difficulties of structure and for extending knowledge of vocabulary and idioms.'

There's really no software tool that can explain the 'difficulties of structure', that can only be done by a teacher or one can consult a reference grammar. Or one can wait until the structure clicks into place from more input. Some annotated readers contain notes on both vocabulary and grammar, but most just focus on vocabulary. Conjugated verb forms probably shouldn't be considered among the 'difficulties of structure'. Some dictionaries will indicate what they are, but generally one should know one's verbs and morphology in general.

I suspect many forum members casually refer to just reading with a dictionary as intensive reading if they look up every word. I know I do. This makes some sense if one doesn't run into a lot of grammatical difficulties when reading, which will depend in part on the TL.

Edited by frenkeld on 18 April 2012 at 12:02am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6394 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 69 of 116
18 April 2012 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
And HTLAL is mentioned in the fourth result :-)
Whatever, I just mean that it's been discussed a lot here and we all probably have very similar ideas of what it is. Hence I disagree with:
Quote:
Intensive and extensive reading are probably subjective terms. What one person does in their intensive/extensive
reading is probably different from what another person does.

Steve kind of missed out on these discussions, so to say.

Edited by Serpent on 18 April 2012 at 12:21am

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6740 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 

Message 70 of 116
18 April 2012 at 12:27am | IP Logged 
Oh, sure, HTLAL is loud enough to get high google ratings :), but the point is that this terminology seems common among the professionals too, not just among the amateurs. I am not sure if it originated with Krashen or if it predates him, but he is known to be big on extensive reading.

The real issue I thought was the one you raised, whether lingq is deficient as a tool for intensive reading. My point is, any tool like this would be deficient with regard to grammar by its very nature. Good e-dictionaries will pick up conjugated verb forms and take you back to the infinitive, I don't know if the ones lingq uses do that, but that's only a small part of the grammar part of intensive reading.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6394 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 71 of 116
18 April 2012 at 12:50am | IP Logged 
Well, I know at least one site that will tell you which form of which word it is, for Finnish. It's in *technical* terms like "N INE PL" but it's much better than nothing. If you don't need this tool in Finnish, you are fluent :-)
In my opinion the perfect tool for intensive reading would need to do that and to link you to the list of functions of the case in question/the tense/etc. With a decent grammar module, LingQ would be much better than it is now.

edit: seems like it's extensive reading that's widely known (because it's often neglected in classroom study), while what exactly it's opposed to can vary. Intensive reading is generally agreed upon here but for example in classroom study it normally involves translation and often paraphrase too (to show the teacher that you really understand).

Edited by Serpent on 18 April 2012 at 1:41am

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6740 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 

Message 72 of 116
18 April 2012 at 1:01am | IP Logged 
Is that tool for Finnish a kind of dictonary, or is it something else?

Edited by frenkeld on 18 April 2012 at 1:02am

This discussion contains 116 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version