116 messages over 15 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 8 ... 14 15 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6394 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 57 of 116
17 April 2012 at 1:43pm | IP Logged 
Interesting. But then why isn't Swedish in your profile? What level did you reach?

I clearly remember Steve saying that he doesn't do listening and reading at the same time. I think audios with transcripts are overrated - if your studying is balanced, there's little need for them. They're mostly needed when you find that your reading is better than your listening or vice versa.
1 person has voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5466 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 58 of 116
17 April 2012 at 2:06pm | IP Logged 
I see LingQ (and LWT) as offering one tremendous advantage over other approaches: they close the gap between intensive and extensive reading.

Intensive reading is where you look up every word you don't know. This is very time-consuming with traditional dictionaries, so you don't tend to cover a lot of material. That is, you focus on depth of understanding at the expense of breadth of material.

Extensive reading, on the other hand, is where you skip over things you don't understand. This allows you to cover much more material but leaves you stumped about detailed meaning. That is, you sacrifice depth in favour of breadth.

By speeding up dictionary look-up dramatically and (perhaps more importantly) ensuring you only need to look up a given word once, LingQ takes away the pain and time burden of intensive reading, so you no longer have to choose whether to do an intensive or extensive reading session. It lets you get depth of understanding across breadth of material.

Edited by Splog on 17 April 2012 at 2:07pm

7 persons have voted this message useful

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6113 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 59 of 116
17 April 2012 at 2:14pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Interesting. But then why isn't Swedish in your profile? What level did you reach?

I clearly remember Steve saying that he doesn't do listening and reading at the same time. I think audios with transcripts are overrated - if your studying is balanced, there's little need for them. They're mostly needed when you find that your reading is better than your listening or vice versa.

My comment about Swedish wasn't meant so much to validate my own level in it, but rather to point out the quality of what they offer in their library. I have studied it to probably a good intermediate level, but have put it on hold while I focus on Spanish. With Mandarin also in the mix, and a lack of discipline to study three languages diligently, I simply risk spreading myself to thin, hence it's current absence from my profile.

Also, having both audio and transcript by no means necessitates their simultaneous use. I don't particularly like listening and reading at the same time either. Rather, it is simply the possibility to read what you have heard and listen to what you have read that makes the combination so valuable in my opinion. That way you can fill in gaps that exist in your oral comprehension by referring to the text version of that same content item. Is it absolutely necessary? No, but it has certainly been helpful to me. How you use them is of course up to you.

Edited by ChristopherB on 17 April 2012 at 2:25pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6394 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 60 of 116
17 April 2012 at 2:49pm | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
I see LingQ (and LWT) as offering one tremendous advantage over other approaches: they close the gap between intensive and extensive reading.

Intensive reading is where you look up every word you don't know. This is very time-consuming with traditional dictionaries, so you don't tend to cover a lot of material. That is, you focus on depth of understanding at the expense of breadth of material.

Extensive reading, on the other hand, is where you skip over things you don't understand. This allows you to cover much more material but leaves you stumped about detailed meaning. That is, you sacrifice depth in favour of breadth.

By speeding up dictionary look-up dramatically and (perhaps more importantly) ensuring you only need to look up a given word once, LingQ takes away the pain and time burden of intensive reading, so you no longer have to choose whether to do an intensive or extensive reading session. It lets you get depth of understanding across breadth of material.
extensive and intensive reading aren't just about whether you look up the vocabulary or not. i'd even say LingQ isn't the best medium for true intensive reading (do I understand correctly that it won't give you info like "this is the Present Perfect Continuous" or "this is the past subjunctive, 3rd person plural"?), as intensive reading is also about making sure you understand the structure of every sentence and use a grammar reference book if necessary.
LingQ simply has the same advantages as any pop-up dictionary does. In fact I think even if you love your pop-up dictionary, it's better to switch it off sometimes and just "swim" through the text.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Švejk
Super Polyglot
Canada
lingq.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4403 days ago

29 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Japanese, French, Cantonese, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese
Studies: Czech

Message 61 of 116
17 April 2012 at 3:11pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

I clearly remember Steve saying that he doesn't do listening and reading at the same time. I think audios with
transcripts are overrated - if your studying is balanced, there's little need for them. They're mostly needed when
you find that your reading is better than your listening or vice versa.

I sometimes do listen while reading, for example on my iPad while on my treadmill using LingQ. Mostly I do these
as separate activities. When I have dedicated time, I read. More than any activity, I listen, because it is possible to
do so when engaged in other activities, running, cross-country skiing, doing the dishes, driving, etc.

As to what is better for us as learners, that depends on each individual, mostly on what each person likes to do, in
my view.

Edited by Švejk on 17 April 2012 at 3:34pm

Švejk
Super Polyglot
Canada
Joined 4403 days ago

29 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Japanese, French, Cantonese, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 62 of 116
17 April 2012 at 3:29pm | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
Steve, another question. I now have an idea of what you do with patterns/grammar after you've
had a lot of exposure, but what about the earlier stages of learning a language? To be concrete, what did you do
when starting out in Russian? (Other languages would be interesting too, of course.)

P.S. I think Cyrillic letters do work in the forum, it surely must use unicode. Let me type the first few capital Russian
letters and you can see how they come out on your machine: АБВГДЕ... They look ok on mine. Perhaps you just
need to make sure the character encording of the browser when you are viewing this page is set to Unicode (UTF-
8).

Before LingQ I would buy two of three starter books, Teach Yourself, Colloquial, Assimil, etc. and spend a few
months, mostly reading and re-reading, listening and listening over and over, reading the grammar explanations
without trying to remember anything, and certainly avoiding any exercises, which I very much dislike doing. Then I
moved on to whatever "readers' I could find, and whatever audio material I could find, and stayed with them for a
long time. It was too big a jump to authentic content, since I found looking things up in a conventional dictionary
too time consuming and frustrating in that I forgot the dictionary definition right away.

After LingQ with Russian, Czech, and Portuguese, I still buy one or more starter book, but then just stay with
content that is in the LingQ library, using beginner and intermediate material, but moving as well on to authentic
content very early, for example for Russian, The Kreutzer Sonata, which is short, Fathers and Sons, and eventually
other novels where I could
find audio and text. Echo Moskvi was a a gold mine of audio and text. I definitely needed both. I would regularly
refer back to the beginner books to review easier material, and to read, again and again, grammar descriptions.

Re a couple of grammar books with lots of patterns, I think that Preview view threw me off, and I will add them in
again now.

Учебная грамматика русского языка, 53 модели (www.rus=lang.ru)
Chcete ještě lépe mluvit česky (www.courseczech.com)

Edited by Švejk on 17 April 2012 at 3:35pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Švejk
Super Polyglot
Canada
Joined 4403 days ago

29 posts - 77 votes 

Message 63 of 116
17 April 2012 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
I see LingQ (and LWT) as offering one tremendous advantage over other approaches: they close
the gap between intensive and extensive reading.

Intensive reading is where you look up every word you don't know. This is very time-consuming with traditional
dictionaries, so you don't tend to cover a lot of material. That is, you focus on depth of understanding at the
expense of breadth of material.

Extensive reading, on the other hand, is where you skip over things you don't understand. This allows you to cover
much more material but leaves you stumped about detailed meaning. That is, you sacrifice depth in favour of
breadth.

By speeding up dictionary look-up dramatically and (perhaps more importantly) ensuring you only need to look up
a given word once, LingQ takes away the pain and time burden of intensive reading, so you no longer have to
choose whether to do an intensive or extensive reading session. It lets you get depth of understanding across
breadth of material.

This is absolutely true. It allows you to attack authentic material much earlier, even content with 50% unknown
words. I have found that this works best if the audio is available. After listening many times to difficult content, it is
a lot easier to read through difficult material.

I now consider extensive reading to be reading easy content, either at the computer, on my iPad or in books,
whereas intensive reading is working a text with lots of new words.

Švejk
Super Polyglot
Canada
Joined 4403 days ago

29 posts - 77 votes 

Message 64 of 116
17 April 2012 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Splog wrote:
I see LingQ (and LWT) as offering one tremendous advantage over other
approaches: they close the gap between intensive and extensive reading.

Intensive reading is where you look up every word you don't know. This is very time-consuming with traditional
dictionaries, so you don't tend to cover a lot of material. That is, you focus on depth of understanding at the
expense of breadth of material.

Extensive reading, on the other hand, is where you skip over things you don't understand. This allows you to cover
much more material but leaves you stumped about detailed meaning. That is, you sacrifice depth in favour of
breadth.

By speeding up dictionary look-up dramatically and (perhaps more importantly) ensuring you only need to look up
a given word once, LingQ takes away the pain and time burden of intensive reading, so you no longer have to
choose whether to do an intensive or extensive reading session. It lets you get depth of understanding across
breadth of material.
extensive and intensive reading aren't just about whether you look up the vocabulary
or not. i'd even say LingQ isn't the best medium for true intensive reading (do I understand correctly that it won't
give you info like "this is the Present Perfect Continuous" or "this is the past subjunctive, 3rd person plural"?), as
intensive reading is also about making sure you understand the structure of every sentence and use a grammar
reference book if necessary.
LingQ simply has the same advantages as any pop-up dictionary does. In fact I think even if you love your pop-up
dictionary, it's better to switch it off sometimes and just "swim" through the text.

Intensive and extensive reading are probably subjective terms. What one person does in their intensive/extensive
reading is probably different from what another person does.

I certainly do not worry about whether "this is the Present Perfect Continuous" or "this is the past subjunctive, 3rd
person plural"?), I just want to try to understand, more or less, the meaning. I am motivated mostly by meaning,
since I have chosen content of interest to me. I want to acquire enough words to understand more and more of
what I listen to and read. As I struggle to understand, the grammatical structures start to be associated with
meaning. I do not mind that my understanding is often fuzzy, since I do not know what the case of the noun is, or
the tense of the verb. Of course, in the occasional review of grammar, or review of phrases that I have saved, I
increase my ability to notice these things, and the texts become clearer.

When I save words and phrases in LingQ, I can use other sources on the Internet to verify the grammatical status,
and add this to my saved LingQ card. I can also Tag this LingQ card with that status and review a bunch of different
terms of the same grammatical status. I do this from time to time to increase my ability to notice the grammar, but
mostly, in the time I have available for language study, which, other than listening on the go, amounts to maybe 30
minutes a day, I prefer to read ahead. To each his own. There are few absolutes in my view, other than the need for
a positive attitude, time to interact with the language and the gradual development of the ability to notice the
language.

Edited by Švejk on 17 April 2012 at 3:54pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 116 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version