116 messages over 15 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 ... 6 ... 14 15 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6394 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 41 of 116
16 April 2012 at 1:11pm | IP Logged 
tmp011007 wrote:
not in the slightest.. I am certainly not a native English speaker and I have no problem with those real English variations.. maybe some other no native English speakers do have a problem with that (it seems to be you are one of those ones).. maybe not (I'm not good at statistics)
nope, I just find it ugly, especially when someone writes like this and gets gorgeous, elaborate replies from Iversen, Volte, Christina...
In txt'ing, twitter etc these things can even look fascinating, apart from mixing up they're/there/their etc.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Lucas Raimondi
Tetraglot
BrazilRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4402 days ago

1 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, German, Italian

Message 42 of 116
16 April 2012 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
First I would like to give my humble opinion on the linngQ and say we can not judge a system without first learning to use it properly.
On 16/10/2009 I signed in LingQ because I felt it was time to learn English here in Brazil we do not have many options other than language courses extremely expensive and of poor quality books.
I decided to start learning English at LingQ and as I was lost in the site and did not know how to begin, where to begin, the entire team of LingQ answered my questions with great enthusiasm and concern about whether I had understood how the system worked.
When I learned to use LingQ was as if I had discovered a gold mine because they find unlimited content, audio, text, audio books. A multitude of things that made a difference in my learning of English.
At LingQ I met people, made friends and today I have friends in different parts of the world.The LingQ showed me that the world is much bigger than I thought and that we have learned a new language using the LingQ helped me in school, and at work and in my life. Today I have a great job thanks to the English that I learned using LingQ.
At LingQ I learned English, Italian and I'm learning German, and I am very happy with my progress because I know that everything depends solely on me.
The only thing I can say is, Thank you for everything.
LingQ Method: Works for me and maybe does not work for you because we all learn in different ways.
Flash Cards: They work very well for me and I haven't to complain about. Membership: you need not pay anything to learn, because I studied English for two years with LingQ being a free member. It is a question if you want or not. Forum: Could be a little more organized.
Team LingQ: all well attentive and able to answer all questions.
Steve: It's a great linguist who speaks 11 languages, there is no doubt.
Word count: I think most people care to know how many words they know or how they created lingQs than learning the language of truth, I do not care much for it and I think that if people seek to learn more and caring less , we would learn better.
Cons:
The LingQ interace has a wonderful, but for people who knew the site in 2009, this 1000 times better. I am not in favor of the points being taken, but many times I have been benefited through this distribution of points among the members.
The forum could be without a little more organized if the members cooperate because they post most often things in the wrong categories.
The LingQ is a site of language learning is not advertising, I agree with the exclusion of any other method or whatever it is at LingQ.

I can only thank and wish good luck to all.
That's it.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5563 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 43 of 116
16 April 2012 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
Švejk wrote:
I am sorry if the interface confused you. You are not alone in this. We are looking at how to make it clearer, given that people do not read explanations or watch demo videos.

It didn't confuse me, it annoyed me. Of course, I'm most likely not part of your target clientele as I'm neither a native speaker of English nor a first time learner; I refuse to use German translations of English websites as they usually are inferior, and I have my own habits which include switching between different source languages to compare and contrast grammar, vocabulary and syntax.
3 persons have voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6740 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 44 of 116
16 April 2012 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
Švejk wrote:
I don't hate grammar, I just don't think it is possible to learn it up front. After enough exposure to the language, it starts to make sense. That is the time to focus on it.

The traditional route to grammar would be to learn its fundamentals as part of a foundational course in the language, and then take the second pass, at the intermediate/advanced level, while also reading, writing (and hopefully listening and speaking), and this has worked for a lot of people. You seem to be OK with the second part, but like it very light on the first. It must work for you, but as usual, some learners prefer their grammar "fundamentals" to be farily complete, just not necessarily exhaustive.

But then, I've never regarded lingq as a 'complete learning system', I've always seen it as more of a tool for reading, listening, and learning vocab met in context, as well as a source of a certain type of content. From that standpoint, the language learning philosophy of its founders is a fun discussion topic which needn't be turned into a distraction when evaluating the pros and cons of the tool and the content.

Edited by frenkeld on 16 April 2012 at 6:07pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Švejk
Super Polyglot
Canada
lingq.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4403 days ago

29 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Japanese, French, Cantonese, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese
Studies: Czech

Message 45 of 116
16 April 2012 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
Švejk wrote:
I don't hate grammar, I just don't think it is possible to learn it up front. After
enough exposure to the language, it starts to make sense. That is the time to focus on it.

The traditional route to grammar would be to learn its fundamentals as part of a foundational course in the
language, and then take the second pass, at the intermediate/advanced level, while also reading, writing (and
hopefully listening and speaking), and this has worked for a lot of people. You seem to be OK with the second part,
but like it very light on the first. It must work for you, but as usual, some learners prefer their grammar
"fundamentals" to be farily complete, just not necessarily exhaustive.

But then, I've never regarded lingq as a 'complete learning system', I've always seen it as more of a tool for reading,
listening, and learning vocab met in context, as well as a source of a certain type of content. From that standpoint,
the language learning philosophy of its founders is a fun discussion topic which needn't be turned into a
distraction when evaluating the pros and cons of the tool and the content.

And that is where we differ. I believe that it is impossible for all but the most determined and experienced
language learners, and mostly for related languages, to "learn the fundamentals" without first having had a lot of
exposure to the language. I believe that the traditional approach you describe is putting the cart before the horse.
1 person has voted this message useful

Švejk
Super Polyglot
Canada
lingq.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4403 days ago

29 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Japanese, French, Cantonese, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese
Studies: Czech

Message 46 of 116
16 April 2012 at 6:09pm | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
Švejk wrote:
I am sorry if the interface confused you. You are not alone in this. We are looking at
how to make it clearer, given that people do not read explanations or watch demo videos.

It didn't confuse me, it annoyed me. Of course, I'm most likely not part of your target clientele as I'm neither a
native speaker of English nor a first time learner; I refuse to use German translations of English websites as they
usually are inferior, and I have my own habits which include switching between different source languages to
compare and contrast grammar, vocabulary and syntax.

With these habits of yours, how many languages have you learned to fluency in the years you have been active
here?
1 person has voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6740 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 47 of 116
16 April 2012 at 6:54pm | IP Logged 
Švejk wrote:
I believe that it is impossible for all but the most determined and experienced language learners, and mostly for related languages, to "learn the fundamentals" without first having had a lot of exposure to the language. I believe that the traditional approach you describe is putting the cart before the horse.

One would have to be more precise about what constitutes the 'traditional approach' before discussing its pros and cons. You may be thinking of what's done in schools, where they go through a textbook for a long time without using any other sources of input. The way I would use a textbook is to add a graded reader and some listening about a quarter to a third of the way into the course, perhaps even sooner with less distant languages.

What I have found does not work well for me is dispensing with the foundational course altogether. So, however one defines what it means to "learn the fundamentals", I know I need such a course. I used one with Spanish and got somewhere, I didn't with German and got all the proof I needed that it was a bad idea. I certainly won't try it again with any language.

Edited by frenkeld on 16 April 2012 at 8:48pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5563 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 48 of 116
16 April 2012 at 7:17pm | IP Logged 
Švejk wrote:
With these habits of yours, how many languages have you learned to fluency in the years you have been active here?

Depends on how one defines fluency. On the CEFR scale, my passive skills tend to be one to two levels higher than my active skills. Using my active skills as a benchmark: Japanese: A2 to B1, Spanish: Zero to B2, French: Zero to A2+. The answer would be: None, but I'm on my best way towards working proficiency in three of them.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 116 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version