Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5565 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 105 of 586
11 December 2012 at 4:14pm | IP Logged 
Russian is a difficult language to even get a partial grip on, let alone get to a point
where you can use it freely, accurately, and not sound like a robot all at the same
time. We should try to make light of that, I think, and then learning as a team will be
all the easier and that much more fun.

Can I suggest that we get a resources bank going? I'm not sure about our respective
levels in Russian across the whole team, because if you hadn't noticed, we're a pretty
huge team. I imagine that we have a few beginners and many of us would undoubtedly
benefit from a collective Resources Bank that we can go to whenever we need it. I for
one am going to have trouble for Russian resources this year, particularly reading
books, because I didn't count on doing it for TAC 2013, and have therefore not brought
my Russian books with me to China. You should have seen the size of the suitcases I
checked in and lugged across Shanghai. Not having my now sorely-missed Russian books, I
now feel like my left arm's been cut off (I'm left-handed). I also didn't bring my
Greek grammar book, which will make the increasingly inevitable wanderings to Greek
that much more interesting...

Also I'm going to take it upon myself to start a list of "Little Challenges" for us
all. I'm very ahead with my lesson planning at the moment so I have a fair bit of free
time in the evenings. If anyone has any suggestions for or objections to the above, do
speak up as we are a демократия here, or in its original language, δημοκρατία :)

Also, when does the usual rush of creating logs start? I ask every year, convinced that
I won't forget, and just like every other year, lo' and beyond, I've forgotten again!

Jack
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4506 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 106 of 586
11 December 2012 at 4:56pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
Russian is a difficult language to even get a partial grip on, let alone get to
a point where you can use it freely, accurately, and not sound like a robot all at the
same
time. We should try to make light of that, I think, and then learning as a team will be
all the easier and that much more fun.

Which is why I usually just speak instead of bothering about my level. I tend to
periodically do a new activity to verify how far I've come. In terms of Russian that
progress has stalled in the last couple months. It hasn't gone backwards either. It's
just been at its semi-level for ages. Which makes me believe I need a new way to deal
with this language, because I cannot really do the same things in Russian that I can
even in Swedish or French.

Besides that, I just think Mark has something against me ;) But that is his problem.

I don't really have much of a resources bank. Most of my input comes through VKontakte,
random Youtube videos and science magazines. I have used some textbooks, though. I
prefer simply talking. But if I find something I'll let people know.

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4514 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 107 of 586
11 December 2012 at 7:00pm | IP Logged 
Since most of you already know me, I'll just copy part of my Romance Team introduction and my log:

My name is Fabricio, I'm a 24 years old Brazilian computer engineer/programmer living in São Paulo.

My native language is Portuguese, but I also speak English and Italian at an advanced level, intermediate Russian and Spanish, pre-intermediate Dutch and beginner French.

The main reason for this log and the TAC, is that I met my wife while she was studying Portuguese. I always wanted to learn Russian, and she was a really good reason to start with it! I've studied Russian for 6 months by myself, being able to skip "Russian 1" when I got into a Russian course. Then I quit it, got married in Moscow (not understanding a single word of what the judge was saying), studied alone for 6 more months, and now I'll be back with it by march, when my classes begin.

After that, I kept studying by myself, got better, then got lazy and forgot a lot of things, and now I'm getting back on track.

I'm up for the Skype meetings whenever you guys want! My account is facarraro

Also, this was my log for the TAC 2012 and I'll keep using it this year.

That's it I guess. I hope we have a great year, even better than last one! =)

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5133 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 108 of 586
11 December 2012 at 9:59pm | IP Logged 
LanguageSponge wrote:

Also I'm going to take it upon myself to start a list of "Little Challenges" for us
all. I'm very ahead with my lesson planning at the moment so I have a fair bit of free
time in the evenings. If anyone has any suggestions for or objections to the above, do
speak up as we are a демократия here, or in its original language, δημοκρατία :)

Also, when does the usual rush of creating logs start? I ask every year, convinced that
I won't forget, and just like every other year, lo' and beyond, I've forgotten again!

Jack

I am all for little challenges - in fact the smaller the better. Writing one sentence in Russian would be a
challenge in itself. We could even have parallel basic and advanced challenges - like they have in my
daughter's math class. Basic challenge for the beginners: Write 5 sentences - for the advanced - half a page,
for the beginners tell us your name, where you live and how old you are - for the advanced - write about your
favorite hobby. For both: what is your main grammar challenge right now

I think we started our logs somewhere around Christmas last year, but if you have a look at team Sputnik's
first page, you will see in the links to our logs.

Am I being very childish for getting a big grin of satisfaction every time I see how many of the other teams
refer to what we do on team MIR?

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 11 December 2012 at 10:09pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5133 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 109 of 586
11 December 2012 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
OBS. MESSAGE TO TEANGO: My answer won't go through. Your mailbox is full.

TheGreaterFool
Pro Member
Canada
Joined 4171 days ago

65 posts - 78 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Modern Hebrew, French
Personal Language Map

Message 110 of 586
12 December 2012 at 12:06am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
LanguageSponge wrote:

Jack

I am all for little challenges - in fact the smaller the better. Writing one sentence in Russian would be a
challenge in itself. We could even have parallel basic and advanced challenges - like they have in my
daughter's math class. Basic challenge for the beginners: Write 5 sentences - for the advanced - half a page,
for the beginners tell us your name, where you live and how old you are - for the advanced - write about your

I think we started our logs somewhere around Christmas last year, but if you have a look at team Sputnik's

Am I being very childish for getting a big grin of satisfaction every time I see how many of the other teams

Thx for the idea of the Little Challenges...it is quite brilliant actually and helps put the learning into bite-sized and therefore manageable chunks...

clearly Team MIR is the team that is setting the bar very high...feel very fortunate to be on this amazing team!

cheers
niels

Edited by TheGreaterFool on 12 December 2012 at 12:07am

Luna Moonsilver
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
lunaslanglog.wordpreRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4877 days ago

77 posts - 99 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Mandarin, Korean

Message 111 of 586
12 December 2012 at 12:43am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
LanguageSponge wrote:

Jack

I am all for little challenges - in fact the smaller the better. Writing one sentence
in Russian would be a
challenge in itself. We could even have parallel basic and advanced challenges - like
they have in my
daughter's math class. Basic challenge for the beginners: Write 5 sentences - for the
advanced - half a page,
for the beginners tell us your name, where you live and how old you are - for the
advanced - write about your

I think we started our logs somewhere around Christmas last year, but if you have a
look at team Sputnik's

Am I being very childish for getting a big grin of satisfaction every time I see how
many of the other teams

The little challenges sounds like they'd be really fun and really helpful; I
always find things like that keep me motivated because they're interesting, but I'm
rubbish at thinking them up for myself.

Also, thanks for the welcomes, everyone :D. This is such a friendly team~

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5565 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 112 of 586
12 December 2012 at 4:19am | IP Logged 
TheGreaterFool wrote:
clearly Team MIR is the team that is setting the bar very
high...feel very fortunate to be on this amazing team!

It will be amazing so long as we manage to pull it off, which we will :) One thing is
undeniable though, we are and will be an amazing team this year!

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I am all for little challenges - in fact the smaller the
better. Writing one sentence in Russian would be a
challenge in itself. We could even have parallel basic and advanced challenges - like
they have in my
daughter's math class. Basic challenge for the beginners: Write 5 sentences - for the
advanced - half a page,
for the beginners tell us your name, where you live and how old you are - for the
advanced - write about your favorite hobby. For both: what is your main grammar
challenge right now

I think we started our logs somewhere around Christmas last year, but if you have a
look at team Sputnik's

Am I being very childish for getting a big grin of satisfaction every time I see how
many of the other teams refer to what we do on team MIR?

Thanks for the reminder, Cristina. Logic is certainly not my strong suit, I should have
thought to check the previous logs!

Thanks for the suggested topics for the Little Challenges. If anyone can think of any
more I'd love suggestions. I am basing their level around what you wrote above,
Cristina; I started writing two separate lists this morning - one for Beginners and one
for Advanced.

Also, you're not the only one who gets a little childish when other teams mention us.

Luna Moonsilver wrote:
The little challenges sounds like they'd be really fun
and really helpful; I always find things like that keep me motivated because they're
interesting, but I'm rubbish at thinking them up for myself.

Also, thanks for the welcomes, everyone :D. This is such a friendly team~

Hopefully you will find the challenges to be both challenging and fun. Also I think we
are a very friendly team!

LanguageSponge/Jack

Edited by LanguageSponge on 12 December 2012 at 4:21am

This discussion contains 586 messages over 74 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version