586 messages over 74 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 38 ... 73 74 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4506 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 297 of 586
06 January 2013 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
"Look, that kid is playing 8 chess games at the same time!"
"yeah, and he's lost all of them"

Simply overwhelming, guys...

We all start somewhere.
1 person has voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5025 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 298 of 586
06 January 2013 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
mrwarper wrote:
"Look, that kid is playing 8 chess games at the same time!"
"yeah, and he's lost all of them"

Simply overwhelming, guys...

We all start somewhere.

I always knew I'd had to learn the moves some day. Damn... :)

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5565 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 299 of 586
07 January 2013 at 1:02pm | IP Logged 
I can't even play one game of chess and win. As proved while sitting on the plane home (from Paris due to the almighty English fog) against a Japanese man who wiped the floor with me. I also proved to myself that I need to kick my Mandarin into high gear as I was more comfortable using Japanese with this 80-something year old man than Mandarin with my co-workers. Sigh.

Will update later as I'm knackered.

Jack

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4643 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 300 of 586
07 January 2013 at 6:38pm | IP Logged 
Uh, quite an impressive list, Jack. I'll be happy to take on these challenges when I have the time. Unfortunately, my day should have 48 hours at the moment so that I could do everything I want to do and everything I have to do as well. I was able to do some Russian during my trip to Denmark, but I haven't done serious studying for several weeks now. My January seems to be quite packed as well, so I don't know how much I'll get done during the next few weeks. However, I'm really motivated to do something and I can't wait until I have some time for myself and my languages.

A Happy New Year and a successful TAC '13 to all of you!

Успехов!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5133 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 301 of 586
07 January 2013 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
To the Russians on the forum I would like to wish them С Рождеством и Со старым новым годом
(although the latter if I have understood correctly is not until the 13th).

Thank you for helping us out, and for correcting all our mistakes. We appreciate what you do :-)

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4855 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 302 of 586
07 January 2013 at 7:53pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
To the Russians on the forum I would like to wish them С
Рождеством и Со старым новым годом
(although the latter if I have understood correctly is not until the 13th).

Thank you for helping us out, and for correcting all our mistakes. We appreciate what you
do :-)

Спасибо большое.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4506 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 303 of 586
08 January 2013 at 12:46am | IP Logged 
We have a discovery of the day, folks! Pay attention, because this is something you
might come across in colloquial speech.

Russian Discovery of the Day

So, I have made a discovery of the day. This doesn't concern a really intricate grammar
point or the aspects of the tenses; rather, it's an aspect of colloquial, and slangy
Russian that you might come across when talking to or chatting with Russians both in
real life and on the internet. As you might know, I have spoken Russian quite often,
and I have a select group of friends who I write to and chat with, entirely in
Russian. You read that right - I am maintaining these friendships through Russian
without using Any English Whatsoever. And yes, I am doing it through
Grammatically Incorrect Russian. But I have spoken to these people for months, I
have been talking to them for over half a year now, entirely in Russian.

But during these chats you come across a lot of new words. I used to have to use a
dictionary to almost translate responses word for word. But over time I got better.
Nowadays I barely need a dictionary, and they praise me for my Russian and they are
very happy to speak to me and help me out! However, some things still remained unclear
to me, and I'll address one in particular. To indicate a sort of future tense in
Russian, you can use Я пойду + infinitive, a common combination is я пойду спать.
However, whenever my friends in Siberia would announce they were going to bed (they are
six hours ahead of me, so they are often up late when I haven't had dinner yet, and
they'll go to bed... or sometimes they will stay up until five and not go to sleep
before I have gone to sleep either...), they would say Я спать. (entirely leaving out
the пойду). Now, you can occasionally leave out the verb to go in the present tense.
But I didn't know you could also do it in the future tense.

So I asked and I said something like сейчас я писать диссертацию. But she said it was
better to add the пойду. So I asked what's the difference? She said in principle there
is no difference. You can leave out пойду when you talk, but not when you write;
however, some people are simply lazy, and leave it out when chatting anyway (it's
colloquial, after all!). So it turns out that this tarzan way of expressing sleep (I
to-sleep?), is actually fairly normal in speech! (I have taken to using it when
appropriate, of course). But it's also telling that you've improved when this sort of
thing is what you notice, and not a new verb conjugation. Or a new grammatical feature.

Edited by tarvos on 08 January 2013 at 12:47am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4855 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 304 of 586
08 January 2013 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
Я - спать (compare Я - домой). The dash corresponds to a special intonation in the oral
speech. I don't think it is used very often independently. Что вы будете делать? Я -
спать, а он - есть. Я - спать sounds strange to me, a verb is needed.

This discussion contains 586 messages over 74 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version