586 messages over 74 pages: 1 2 3 46 7 ... 5 ... 73 74 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4506 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 33 of 586
06 December 2012 at 2:12pm | IP Logged 
It's because everyone wants to be on your team, Cristina ;)

Edited by tarvos on 06 December 2012 at 2:12pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5133 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 34 of 586
06 December 2012 at 2:16pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
It's because everyone wants to be on your team, Cristina ;)

Neeh, I am just a small part in this. You were the one who got us going when even I was fading out, Tecktight
is our Skype muse, Fabricio and mrwarper and Teango keep us all in a good mood and laughing, Woodsei
sets the example of hard study, and all the others contribute each with their thing. This is totally a team effort.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 06 December 2012 at 2:17pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4506 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 35 of 586
06 December 2012 at 2:22pm | IP Logged 
Modesty's a virtue, innit? ;)

Nevertheless, I agree we are a succesful team. I'm actually pleased to see a lot of fresh
blood as well. I'm also looking forward to practice some of my other languages: I really
don't have a lot of opportunity to actually speak French or Swedish for example (so I
take anything I can get). Fortunately my French is good enough that speaking it off-the-
cuff does not pose much of a problem these days, but I have no idea how I fare in a
social setting in Swedish (that is one of the reasons I have it set to intermediate;
written Swedish is fine overall, I can get most of Swedish in movies with subtitles and I
do not have the feeling I write too badly either, although I make a few silly mistakes).
I require speaking practice much more than I require actual written input for most of my
TL's, really (Russian excepted, and I am just starting Breton).

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5025 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 36 of 586
06 December 2012 at 2:27pm | IP Logged 
Both is tarvos and me, or BBc? Oh it's so nice to see everyone hating everyone else here so cordially -- it really gives me back some faith in humankind ;)

Seriously, from what I have heard from others, I think it's pretty common not to nail the alphabet in the first place, and then limp along for years. I don't think there's a good reason to do that -- sometimes it's just easier to do things the logical way. Especially when, unlike English and other weird languages, Russian is almost 1:1 (then there are a few rules) when it comes to reading aloud or writing down stuff.

@Bbc: Now, if you try and for whatever the reason can't, that's another story. But please, try to not repeat others' mistakes. (Mine wasn't not learning the alphabet well in the first place, it was never getting round to it so I could keep pace with everything else.) That's one of the things teams are about!

@Cristina: apparently I still have to learn to move way quicker: even when I tried to jump in early for the TAC'13 I landed 7th on this boat. And I'm late with this reply again. Dammit!

OTOH boy, isn't it nice to be a part of something that's 'popular' for a change. <day-long grin>

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4506 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 37 of 586
06 December 2012 at 2:55pm | IP Logged 
Was sich liebt, das neckt sich.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6419 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 38 of 586
06 December 2012 at 3:31pm | IP Logged 
You guys are tempting me so!

I found a Russian book and taught myself the alphabet about an hour ago, but I don't know. I promised myself I would wait. Maybe I'll just pop by and watch like I have to some extent this year.

Edit: BTW I agree with tarvos. You are the queen, Cristina!

Edited by Brun Ugle on 06 December 2012 at 3:32pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5133 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 39 of 586
06 December 2012 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:

I found a Russian book and taught myself the alphabet about an hour ago, but I don't know. I promised
myself I would wait. Maybe I'll just pop by and watch like I have to some extent this year.

You do realise that we have just one spot left, and you are in the position to get it :-)

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6419 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 40 of 586
06 December 2012 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:

I found a Russian book and taught myself the alphabet about an hour ago, but I don't know. I promised
myself I would wait. Maybe I'll just pop by and watch like I have to some extent this year.

You do realise that we have just one spot left, and you are in the position to get it :-)

Yes, but I don't know if I can manage Russian. I was going to add an easy language (Spanish) this year. Russian and Japanese together? Of course, Woodsei does it. And I am the TAC-Dictator, so I could reserve myself a spot for a few days until I decide for sure. I hate making decisions!!!

This discussion contains 586 messages over 74 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version