Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4965 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 122 of 586
12 December 2012 at 6:52pm | IP Logged 
It's not exactly about resources, but this is what I have in mind regarding my progression:

Assimil's Il nuovo russo senza sforzo (in progress)
Assimil's Russian without toil
Assimil's Le Russe (2008)
Living Language Ultimate Russian Beginner-Intermediate

Then I'll take a look at New Penguin's Russian Course to see if it's worth it. After that, I'll proceed to intermediate/advanced textbooks:

Living Language Ultimate Russian Advanced
(any others I may come across. I just can't remember any of them now. I might have to check for Princeton's and Planeta de Agostini's courses at higher stages to fill this gap).

After that, I'll proceed to native materials, mostly novels with translations because that's my main goal.
1 person has voted this message useful

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6156 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Russian, Japanese, French

Message 123 of 586
12 December 2012 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
And it has now become official that I will enter Space Station MIR as my 'Home Base' in the navigation system of my spaceship. It's good to be on the team, and I hope this will become a more active year for me! :)

Short presentation: I'm a 25 year old newly graduated computer engineering student who works with image analysis at a tech-company in Sweden. I play the piano as much as I can (and also compose). I have reached a mid/high-intermediate level in Russian (mostly reading and listening skills and very little writing and speaking). But my main focus for the last three years has been to learn Japanese, so I usually only study Russian in short bursts now. I really want to add a third language to the mix, but I haven't decided which one to choose, and when the time is right to go for three at the same time.

So I don't have any clear plans really, because I always want to be ready when an unexpected 'inspiration' comes. With the right inspiration, language learning feels magical! :)

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5766 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 124 of 586
12 December 2012 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
A little off-topic but since the question came up: Mailboxes seem to malfunction when they reach 70-75 messages. I'd back up messages elsewhere and keep your inbox with plenty of extra capacity, just in case. I also lost the entire contents of my inbox once, and I wanted to keep copies of most of those notes. If you replied to a message, however, there may be a copy of the original message + your answer still in there. I managed to recover some of my private messages that way.

And, of course, best of luck and good studies to all on your already very inspirating team!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4643 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 125 of 586
12 December 2012 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
Hello everybody,

my name is Christian, I am 28 years old, and I'm from Germany. I earned my Master's degree last year and am now writing my doctoral dissertation while working part time for a music publisher near Stuttgart. Besides languages I love music, books of all kinds, and travelling.

I learned languages mainly in school, but I started teaching myself Italian when I was 13 and Swedish when I was 15. I took some Swedish at university and started teaching myself Ancient Greek, but I never got very far with that. I rekindled my love for languages about three years ago, when I dabbled a bit in Dutch and Scottish Gaelic. I became seriously interested in polyglottery when I discovered Prof Arguelles videos on YouTube through which I discovered HTLAL. I then bought myself an Icelandic course in the summer of 2011, shortly before I joined HTLAL, and this May I started with Russian.

I think I am somewhere between A2 and B1 in Russian right now. I would like to enhance my level in 2013 to a strong B1 (I dare not dream of B2 yet). Besides Russian, I want to work on my Icelandic and some other languages. I don't really set myself definite goals, because I learn languages for fun and I often dabble in other languages without ever really learning them. Nevertheless, Russian will be my main target language for 2013 and I'm glad to be on this gorgeous team which will hopefully help me get the most out of my Russian studies.

Удачи!

Edited by Josquin on 12 December 2012 at 10:04pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5133 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 126 of 586
12 December 2012 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
Hello everybody,

my name is Christian, I am 28 years old, and I'm from Germany. I earned my Master's degree last year and
am now writing my doctoral dissertation while working part time for a music publisher near Stuttgart. Besides
languages I love music, books of all kinds, and travelling.

I learned languages mainly in school, but I started teaching myself Italian when I was 13 and Swedish when I
was 15. I took some Swedish at university and started teaching myself Ancient Greek, but I never got very far
with that. I rekindled my love for languages about three years ago, when I dabbled a bit in Dutch and Scottish
Gaelic. I became seriously interested in polyglottery when I discovered Prof Arguelles videos on YouTube
through which I discovered HTLAL. I then bought myself an Icelandic course in the summer of 2011, shortly
before I joined HTLAL, and this May I started with Russian.

I think I am somewhere between A2 and B1 in Russian right now. I would like to enhance my level in 2013 to
a strong B1 (I dare not dream of B2 yet). Besides Russian, I want to work on my Icelandic and some other
languages. I don't really set myself definite goals, because I learn languages for fun and I often dabble in
other languages without ever really learning them. Nevertheless, Russian will be my main target language for
2013 and I'm glad to be on this gorgeous team which will hopefully help me get the most out of my Russian
studies.

Удачи!

You first made me very happy, and then very depressed.

Very happy, because I thought - finally someone at my own level! A2 possibly leaning towards B1 that's
where I am, everybody else seem to be either much more advanced, or beginners. And then very depressed,
because I suddenly remembered that you are a lot more advanced than I am. So either you are a B1 or I am
a A1. I so hope you are a B1.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 12 December 2012 at 11:23pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4506 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 127 of 586
12 December 2012 at 11:40pm | IP Logged 
More likely you are just too modest to admit that you speak better Russian than you think
;)

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4965 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 128 of 586
12 December 2012 at 11:41pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin: don't worry, I plan to catch up with A2 leaning towards B1 really soon =D I somehow have had extra exposure to Russian, even if just unconsciously.

This discussion contains 586 messages over 74 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version