Russian Federation
Joined 4854 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 321 of 586
08 January 2013 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:

If I put только before a verb
that doesn't refer to the verb in actual fact, what does the Russian person do?

It depends. It can change the meaning. Once I read your sentece Я только перевел три
предложения. My first thought was that you had to do something else with those
sentences, but did only the translation. But then I remembered English and understood
that you meant Я перевел только три предложения.
Hardening of a soft L can impede the comprehension, sometimes I don't understand what
you write or I'm not sure what you mean.
But you can be understood even if you write very ungrammatical sentences, I showed that
to you with this "You is thinking, that, yours French...". There was no need to learn
the Russian grammar at all Я жить Гаага is as comprehensible as Я живу в Гааге, but is
much simpler.
The l thing is easy to fix, in fact. You pronounce a close sound in French, for
example, and probably in Dutch.
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4505 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 322 of 586
08 January 2013 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:

It depends. It can change the meaning. Once I read your sentece Я только перевел три
предложения. My first thought was that you had to do something else with those
sentences, but did only the translation. But then I remembered English and understood
that you meant Я перевел только три предложения.

Of course it can change the meaning. That's not the point; the point is that in this
case, the change of meaning will just prompt a в смысле? что вы имеете ввиду? In that
case I repeat or rephrase, no problem. Or they will remember that I speak English and
make that connection. And thus understand. This is the sort of detail that I leave for
last because it's a lower-order change of meaning.

Quote:
Hardening of a soft L can impede the comprehension, sometimes I don't understand
what you write or I'm not sure what you mean.
But you can be understood even if you write very ungrammatical sentences, I showed that
to you with this "You is thinking, that, yours French...". There was no need to learn
the Russian grammar at all Я жить Гаага is as comprehensible as Я живу в Гааге, but is
much simpler.

Of course, but that latter example is a much more overt mistake than misplacing только.
Misplacing только creates a grammatical sentence in which the meaning shifts. The
sentence is not per se wrong, it's unnatural. This is a whole other order of bad
grammar than Я жить Гаага. That's why it's much easier to avoid that second mistake
than the first.

Quote:
The l thing is easy to fix, in fact. You pronounce a close sound in French, for
example, and probably in Dutch.

I do not know what the Dutch do. It depends on the dialect. I think it's quite
somewhere in the middle or a little dark. But I have no idea. If anything, I think of
the distinction between lip and kettle. Then again I don't remember whether I
mispronounced them in the SoundCloud thing I uploaded either.

By the way, I have no illusions that I speak Russian fluently or anything; I just speak
better than I did before. Hence why I would still consider myself intermediate in
Russian.

Edited by tarvos on 08 January 2013 at 7:20pm

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4513 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 323 of 586
08 January 2013 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
I thing I'll record an audio just like @tarvos did, in order to get an evaluation from Марк. I know I'm far from perfect, but I'd like to know where I can improve now.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4854 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 324 of 586
08 January 2013 at 7:26pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:

Of course, but that is a much more overt mistake than misplacing только. Misplacing
только creates a grammatical sentence in which the meaning shifts. The sentence is not
per se wrong, it's unnatural. This is a whole other order of bad grammar than Я жить
Гаага. That's why it's much easier to avoid that second mistake than the first.

But the second can have only one meaning, while the first is ambigous. For example, Я
только сплю дома means I only sleep at home (and do everything else somewhere else),
while Я сплю только дома means I sleep only at home and nowhere else. Both are
grammatical but have different meaning, so it is even worse than Я жить Гаага.
And even to avoid completely ungrammatical sentences one has to work hard.
I've heard you speaking French and you pronounced soft ls there.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4505 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 325 of 586
08 January 2013 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:

But the second can have only one meaning, while the first is ambigous. For example, Я
только сплю дома means I only sleep at home (and do everything else somewhere else),
while Я сплю только дома means I sleep only at home and nowhere else. Both are
grammatical but have different meaning, so it is even worse than Я жить Гаага.

This is true, but if we're talking communication the first doesn't sound "wrong" (even
if it's totally not what you meant to say). The second sounds barbarian. And if you say
something like that, in my experience the other person will respond with "did you mean"
and then you understand the mistake (or if you don't, you ask). That's more what I
meant.

Quote:
I've heard you speaking French and you pronounced soft ls there.

My French pronunciation is also miles better than my Russian, so that doesn't surprise
me. I was referring to whether I pronounced the soft l in the Russian excerpt on
Soundcloud. I do not know if you heard that.

Edited by tarvos on 08 January 2013 at 7:35pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5132 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 326 of 586
09 January 2013 at 12:12am | IP Logged 
There does not seem to be many opinions on where to post the challenges, but I suspect the best long term
solution is to have it on our web site, perhaps riff could tell us a little about the possibilities?

In the mean time I got so inspired by the list of challenges, that I have started doing the beginner challenges.
I will post the first here. I have had someone who knows Russian go through them first, to take away some of
the worst mistakes, but it is not elegant. It is Russian - caveman style.

I would be grateful for corrections and improvements, but please be gentle. I have a fragile ego :-)

LITTLE CHALLENGES RUSSIAN 1

1. Меня зовут Кристина

2. Мне пятьдесят лет.

3. Я норвежка и живу около Осло.

4. Мне очень нравится иностранный язык.

5.   Я люблю русский язык.

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5630 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 327 of 586
09 January 2013 at 12:36am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
There does not seem to be many opinions on where to post the challenges, but I suspect the best long term
solution is to have it on our web site, perhaps riff could tell us a little about the possibilities?

In the mean time I got so inspired by the list of challenges, that I have started doing the beginner challenges.
I will post the first here. I have had someone who knows Russian go through them first, to take away some of

I would be grateful for corrections and improvements, but please be gentle. I have a fragile ego :-)

1. Меня зовут Кристина

2. Мне пятьдесят лет.

5. Я люблю русский язык.

1. Меня зовут Кристина

2. Мне пятьдесят лет.

4. Мне очень нравятся иностранные языки.

5. Я люблю русский язык.

I think it would sound better in the plural. (I like foreign languages). Otherwise it all looks correct to me.

молодец!

Edited by stelingo on 09 January 2013 at 12:37am

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5132 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 328 of 586
09 January 2013 at 12:54am | IP Logged 
stelingo wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
There does not seem to be many opinions on where to post the
challenges, but I suspect the best long term

1. Меня зовут Кристина

2. Мне пятьдесят лет.

5. Я люблю русский язык.

1. Меня зовут Кристина

2. Мне пятьдесят лет.

4. Мне очень нравятся иностранные языки.

5. Я люблю русский язык.

I think it would sound better in the plural. (I like foreign languages). Otherwise it all looks correct to me.

молодец!

Thanks a lot! I was wondering about that one, but I have not really learned plurals yet, so I was unsure of how
to say it. Your corrections were very helpful!

This discussion contains 586 messages over 74 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version