United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5772 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 97 of 137
24 July 2013 at 11:56pm | IP Logged 
dampingwire wrote:

I'm pretty poor with the "we've cut this sentence up, please put it back together
properly" type questions too. Maybe they could combine the two techniques and blank out a particle too just to make it more challenging :-)

I knew I wouldn't have time to properly "solve" these questions when I did N2. I was able to answer one of them fairly quickly and with confidence, but the rest I left until the end of the exam and had to guess! Maybe I really was just lucky on the day!
1 person has voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 98 of 137
28 July 2013 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
I've been tiling again over the weekend (and after work Thursday and Friday) so there's
been very little Japanese going on. I've not even had enough time to keep RTK going.

On top of that, we're off to a family wedding in Italy on Wednesday.

So when I get back I expect that I'll have a lot of reviews waiting for me in RTK and
Anki and memrise. I've said to a few people that "you don't need to catch up all your
reviews in one go" so I expect that I'll get to see how my own advice works out in 10
days or so!

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 99 of 137
11 August 2013 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
I've managed to get back to normal with RTK and memrise.

RTK had ~300 reviews waiting for me. It took about 90 minutes to get back to the normal
~50 reviews per day. I split that over 2 or 3 sessions.

Memrise had about 900 reviews waiting in the N3 course (I've let all the others wilt for
now anyway). I took it slowly and watered everything over 5 days; the total review time
was ~5-1/2 hours split over 15-45m sessions. Having completely watered everything I had
300 reviews waiting for me today, so I'm going to avoid adding any new vocabulary for a
few days until that drops to ~100 reviews each day.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 100 of 137
11 August 2013 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
Here's how I did with my July goals:

Some goals for the rest of July. I still have plenty to finish off around the house so
I'm going to take that into account and not try anything too ambitious for this month.

1. Keep up the Kanji reviews at Reviewing The Kanji.
Done. I obviously didn't keep reviews going whilst I was away, but
I've caught up since.

2. Keep up with Anki reviews. Learn 50 new words each week. (This is in addition to the
new N3 memrise vocabulary).
I did manage to learn some new words via Anki, but most of my vocab time
went into memrise instead.

3. Keep the memrise N4 course watered. Plant 100 words each week.
That was obviously supposed to say N3 :-) I've planted ~900 words in the
N3 course, and at least 700 of those have been during July. So I've met this goal.

4. SRS and learn three JPOD101 Lower Intermediate lessons each week.
I started well, but I didn't keep this up. I let other things eat up time
instead.

5. SRS 5 NHK Easy News articles each week.
Failed here too. I've listened to articles a few times but I've hardly
worked through any.

6. Keep the audio going. I'll switch to listening to Lower Intermediate dialogues (pure
Japanese rather than lessons with some English) after the first week or so. The delay
is just to give me time to build up some lessons that I should know reasonably well.
I've kept the audio going, but I've not switched to pure dialogues yet.
That's mostly because I've yet to work through the lessons in detail.

It's already one third of the way into August. I've got plenty of "real life" over the
next few days and then I'm away for a week again. By then there'll only be one week of
August left. So I'm not going to set any explicit goals for August. Instead I'll
concentrate on coming up with something more realisable for September (i.e. I'll try to
allot a timespan for each activity so that I can budget more accurately and come up
with a plan that I can stick to).

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 101 of 137
27 August 2013 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
I've decided that I need to work on particles and burn some grammar into my head.

For the former I'm going to work through "How to Tell the Difference Between Japanese
Particles". So I'll study each chapter and then work through all of the problems. When
I reach the end of the book I'll redo all of the problems without re-reading the book.
If my performance during this 2nd round of questions isn't good enough, I guess I'll go
through it again.

I'm finding with grammar that no single source seems to have all the information in one
place, at least not in a format that I'm happy with. So I'm going to go through each
grammar point and write up my own notes in a format that I like. Hopefully this will
force me to think about each point. Since I'm still working through a chapter of Minna
No Nihongo with my tutor each week, I'll make sure that that chapter gets done before
each lesson. Apart from that I'll go through chapters in the book in whatever order I
think is most useful at the time. I'll probably not bother writing up the really simple
stuff (like using か to form a question) but I'll track that I've looked at it. That'll
take some time but should force me to look at each grammar point in detail.

After that I'll repeat the process for Nihongo So-Matome N3 Grammar, although I think
by that stage a reasonable chunk of that will have already been covered.

It's nearly the end of August, so for now I'll just plough on and get through whatever
I can. By the beginning of September I should know how long it reasonably takes to get
through a chapter and so I can allocate my time sensibly for my September goals and
leave room for RTK, anki, memrise, shadowing with JPOD101 lessons and maybe some
occasional work with EasyNHK.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 102 of 137
29 August 2013 at 7:07pm | IP Logged 
With a view to working out how much time I can reasonably allocate for study, I've been
going through my timings spreadsheet and churning some numbers.

The time I spend on audio is almost always time when I couldn't do much else: I'm
driving a car, riding a bike or walking somewhere. On average, I've spent 14-1/2 hours
a week on non-audio studying.

Looking back over a few representative weeks, I can see that I spend about 15m/day on
RTK, 30m/day on Anki and 45m/day on memrise. I'm finding the increased vocabulary that
the N3 course is giving me very useful. So I want to continue these activities (and,
indeed, mine more vocabulary from the various textbooks I have). So that's about 10-1/2
hours allocated straight away.

That gives me about 4 hours to play with. 1 hour will go into preparation for lessons
with my tutor. I'll allocate another hour for work on the particles book I'm using and
a further hour to make notes on grammar points in Minna No Nihongo. I'll leave the
final hour unallocated and see how it goes.

I manage to stick to this scheme over the next few days, I'll commit it as my September
goals.

BTW If anyone knows where I can find one of Hermione Granger's Time-Turners, do let me
know :-)

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 103 of 137
30 August 2013 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
The July JLPT results are available online now.

I can see 合格、so that's a good start!

Overall score: 104/180.

Listening 31/60.
Language: 73/120.

Vocabulary: A
Grammar:     B
Reading:     A

The pass mark for Listening was 19, so although I didn't feel I did that well, I was at
least well into the pass range.

Time to get going on N3 I guess.

2 persons have voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 104 of 137
01 September 2013 at 9:46pm | IP Logged 
I've decided on my goals for September.

I'll list them here in order of importance. So if on any given day I run out of time,
the items later in the list will be the ones that are dropped.

1. I'll continue with audio. As I'll be listening on those occasions when I can't
really do anything else (such as the commute) I'll not set any goals other than to
actually do as much listening as possible and to not waste any occasions.

2. RTK: I'll keep this up to date.

3. Memrise. I have ~400 words left to plant in the N3 course. (I still have kanji to
learn after that, but I'll ignore them for now). I'll aim to plant 30 words each day
and then spend some time watering after that so things don't get too out of hand. My
aims are to have the whole course planted and watered by the end of the month.

4. I'll make grammar notes (and study them!) for one Minna no Nihongo lesson every
other day. I'll start by working through book II and then I'll switch to going though
book I (but there I'll only cover the ones that I feel haven't sunk in properly yet).

5. Every other day I'll work on shadowing and learning a JPOD101 Lower Intermediate
lesson. I;ll start with season 1 and work through in order. I'll make sure that all the
new vocabulary and suitable sentences have been entered into Anki as part of this
exercise.

I expect (4) and (5) to take 45m to 1hr each so I don't want to try to do both every
single day. So that's why I've set them on alternate days. If I can manage both some
days, I'll just go ahead.

6. Anki: if any time is left over, I'll go through the various Anki decks I'm using.

So hopefully by the end of the month I will have:
- planted all the vocabulary in the memrise N3 course
- shadowed 15 JPOD 101 LI lessons
- have thoroughly revised (and made notes on) most of Minna no Nihongo II

This discussion contains 137 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version