brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6410 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 17 of 137
08 January 2013 at 9:26pm | IP Logged 
Wow! You linked to me? I'm flattered.

If that Japanese Reader by Miller is the same one I have, I thought it was impossible. I don't know how they expect you to be able to go from learning the hiragana and katakana all the way to reading fairly complex articles in just half a book. I tried it several times, but never really got anywhere. I imagine I wouldn't have much trouble with it now, but that's after reading some 6000+ pages of Japanese. I certainly wouldn't have gotten there on the 150 pages, or however many it is, that they seem to expect me to be able to learn it in.
1 person has voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 18 of 137
08 January 2013 at 10:19pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
Wow! You linked to me? I'm flattered.

I'm not so creative when it comes to studying ideas - so if I'm going to copy it may as
well be from someone who's done this all before!

Brun Ugle wrote:
If that Japanese Reader by Miller is the same one I have, I thought it
was impossible.

Sounds like the same one :-).

Having peeked at the last few lessons, it certainly does seem to be ambitious! I expect
that I'll be working through it pretty slowly quite soon. But at least I'll be reading
something.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 19 of 137
08 January 2013 at 10:46pm | IP Logged 
I could've sworn there was a post here saying "100 words per day is possible but don't
burn out".

Even if I imagined it, I may as well reply.

When I was working through the 常用漢字 with RTK I started slowly and cautiously, trying
very hard to learn 10 kanji thoroughly before moving on to the next batch. I started
sometime in April (or maybe late March) and by the end of April I was at #260. By the
end of May I was at #405; by the end of June I'd upped the pace slightly and reached
#825. From there it went exponential and by the lJuly I managed another 800 to reach
#1600. The first week of August I obviously flipped and reached the end of RTK1 (#2042)
in just seven days. I was doing about 90min of RTK each day.

As I was pushing through the forest of kanji, my retention rate for new kanji was
something like 50% and sometimes I'd need to go through 3 or 4 times before nailing the
last few kanji. Somehow it's managed to stick. I still have 50-60 reviews per day and
the retention rate is something like 90%. Most of the errors now are keyword confusion
(i.e. I correctly draw the wrong kanji!).

I'm not sure that the same pace will work with vocabulary, but I'm going to give it a
go with the memrise N4 course. I'll plant 10 new words each day and if that goes OK
I'll try 20 and then 30 and so on. I can always scale back if needs be.

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4974 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 20 of 137
08 January 2013 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
I learned RTK really quickly and I'd say it's far easier than learning vocabulary (and really helpful for the rest of your Japanese studies). RTK engages your memory visually and through stories etc., it's great. Vocab is more about repetition O.o and I find it takes a lot of time.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6410 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 21 of 137
09 January 2013 at 8:24am | IP Logged 
kraemder wrote:
I learned RTK really quickly and I'd say it's far easier than learning vocabulary (and really helpful for the rest of your Japanese studies). RTK engages your memory visually and through stories etc., it's great. Vocab is more about repetition O.o and I find it takes a lot of time.

I have to agree. Making the words in RTK1 stick was easy, though RTK3 seems harder. But making vocabulary stick is even harder. However, once you get to a certain point, you'll start seeing a lot of words that have "roots" that you already know and then it gets a little easier again.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 22 of 137
14 January 2013 at 2:14am | IP Logged 
Just a brief update for the first (full) week of my goals.

1. Probably keeping up with the audio: I've done quite a chunk of Season 3 already so
I'm almost certainly going to get all the first 5 done before the end of January.

2. I've managed to average 20/mins of Anki per day, but only because I did three 20m
sessions on Sunday. I quite enjoy Anki, especially now that some words are beginning to
sink in, so all I need to do is remember to actually do it each day!

3. My memrise goal was too ambitious. Nearly 2.5 hours of memrise and I've only managed
100 new words (plus 25 new kanji). I don't need to push it that hard, I just need to
make progress each day. So I'm going to scale back to 20 new words per day, ignore the
kanji sections for now (as it actually doubles the workload - making 1600 things to
remember rather than 800) and keep both N4 and N5 watered.

4. I have managed 70mins of A Japanese Reader. However, I'd prefer to do one lessone
per session (including SRS etc.). Each lesson currently takes me about 20-30mins, so
I'm going to do one every other day and simply average 70 mins per week.

5. Kanji reviews. I've been keeping these up. (Actually, I've forgotten to get aroudn
to doing this on Sunday, but it shouldn't take too long to catch up on Monday morning).

The Japanese Reader has been quite pleasant to work through (although I have to admit
that it is extremely basic at the moment). I really didn't see any way a year ago that
I'd be able to read much Japanese (except possibly very laboriously), so it's been a
pleasant surprise to be able to manage anything.

Anki and memrise seem to be complementing each other: there are words with both of them
that don't seem to stick at all, and then suddenly one of those words crops up in the
other one and it all makes sense. That said, learning vocabulary is certainly much
harder than just learning kanji.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 23 of 137
16 January 2013 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
A few minor modifications.

I'm going to plant 25 new words each day in the memrise course. That fits in more
naturally with the course organisation. I'll also harvest and water as required, but
planting will be the priority when time is short. So far that's taking about 30 mins
each day for memrise. During the watering sessions I've noticed that I'm only retaining
~60% of the words. I'm not too concerned as I think once I have everything planted,
I'll be putting all the time that was previously spent on planting into drilling the
vocabulary.

Anki is still going strong: I'm being much more careful to ensure that it gets its 20
mins each day. I have over 500 cards in there now but I've decided to be more
aggressive about suspending the ones that are not sticking. I want to make sure that at
least some of the vocabulary sinks in. Once I have a set of vocabulary that I'm happy
with, I'll go back and gradually un-suspend cards.

One error that I'll correct in next month's goals is that I didn't allow any study time
for Minna No Nihongo. For now I'll just muddle along and aim to get through 2 lessons a
week (from next week, just one lesson plus some review for this week). That includes
getting the lesson vocabulary entered into Anki.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 24 of 137
21 January 2013 at 1:02am | IP Logged 
Goals summary at the end of week 2.

1. Audio is going well: I have 3 lessons from Season 3 and half of Season 5 to listen
to. I should be able to get that done this week; then I'll start listening to either
the Blogs or to the JLPT lessons.

2. Anki was done as 20 mins each day this week. I suspended a few that wouldn't yet
stick so I could get through the whole deck once.

3. Having backed off on my memrise goals, I changed my mind and decided to push. I've
now got 500 planted and just over 400 harvested. I'm behind on the watering and
slightly behind on the harvesting, so next week I'll try to be more balanced. My
retention on harvesting is about 50%, which isn't that good, but I'm hoping that the
watering phase will fix that.

4. A Japanese Reader is becoming a little tougher now, so I'm finding that I do one or
two longer sessions during the week rather than a few short ones. I've decided to spend
some time adding the new kanji to Anki and making an effort to pick up the new
vocabulary before starting a lesson.

5. Kanji reviews are still sailing along with no particular problems.

This discussion contains 137 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version