kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4637 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 121 of 137
03 December 2013 at 12:52am | IP Logged 
I like how you set goals for the month. That is something I should really do. I tend to take a we'll-see-what-happens approach to studying: just do something, and the next day do something. That works for consistency purposes, but not for efficiency.
1 person has voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 122 of 137
03 December 2013 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:
I like how you set goals for the month. That is something I
should really do. I tend to take a we'll-see-what-happens approach to studying: just
do something, and the next day do something. That works for consistency purposes, but
not for efficiency.

The goals are one of the ideas I picked up during TAC 2013 (from Brun Ugle).

It's good in that I can set specific targets and then check to see how things went.

I've learned to try and budget my time so that if something else comes along then I can
still have a go without it impacting the goals too much.

It also means that I can look back and see some progress.

2 persons have voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 123 of 137
04 December 2013 at 9:06am | IP Logged 
I've picked up and sorted the kanji from the memrise.com N5, N4 and N3 courses. Just as
well I did it when I did as the website has been "down for maintenance" for most of
yesterday and is still down today ...

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 124 of 137
08 December 2013 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
I've finished sorting out my vocabulary deck and, when memrise came back I updated my
kanji deck with all the N5, N4 and N3 vocabulary: I'll filter out non-kanji words as I
come across them (it's just one key-press). I've used custom study to begin studying
all the N5 vocabulary; this time through I've not dropped any words just because one or
more of the kanji were "beyond the level" I was aiming for. I have to learn those kanji
sooner or later and it may as well be sooner. I'm also adding non-RTK1 kanji to RTK, so
I'll see them there too.

I did also download the N2 vocabulary from memrise, but unlike the rest this one came
down as just the kana. I don't need to worry about that for now, but I'll need to find
some automated way of sorting out that problem - I don't fancy adding kanji for 4,000
words by hand!

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 125 of 137
10 December 2013 at 8:28pm | IP Logged 
I started from the beginning of the the JPOD101 Lower Intermediate (pure Japanese)
dialogues at the beginning of the commute today and put in a little bit of extra
listening time during my evening cycle ride.

So I now know that the total running time is (roughly) 3h19m.

I'm going to plough through the remaining 3 seasons with intensive listening and then
start to work on either the Intermediate or Upper Intermediate lessons so that I can
expand the range of dialogues I can listen to. (I've tried the Beginner dialogues, and
I think they'll be useful for a while longer if I weed out the ones that are just too
simple ... but I think I'd prefer to work on the stuff that's going to stretch me more
in the immediate future).

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4637 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 126 of 137
11 December 2013 at 7:08am | IP Logged 
I find myself getting more and more tired of JapanesePod101. Maybe it's just me, but I listened to a podcast the other day where two eels were talking about looking for samurai in Tokyo... or something. Just silly. I prefer more realistic situations.

But again, that's just me. A lot of people would appreciate stuff like that to better their Japanese. And there are probably more useful podcasts if I just paid for it, instead of just using the free feed.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 127 of 137
11 December 2013 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:
I find myself getting more and more tired of JapanesePod101.
Maybe it's just me, but I listened to a podcast the other day where two eels were
talking about looking for samurai in Tokyo... or something. Just silly. I prefer more
realistic situations.

I think this is one of those things that affects different people in different ways.
Quite a lot of the lessons are unrealistic in one way or another, or just downright
silly, like that set of lessons. But there's nothing else out there that I know of that
has anywhere near that number of lessons with audio and matching script.

kujichagulia wrote:
And there are probably more useful podcasts if I just paid for it,
instead of just using the free feed.

Each of them is supposed to work through a grammar point or two. I don't think the
stories are any better if you get the full subscription. The Beginner series lessons
have very short and mostly simple dialogue. I think the eels may well be from that
series. The Lower Intermediate get longer (maybe 1m - 2m of dialogue each). The
Intermediate series seems to have some lessons that are just one of the presenters
reading a Japanese folk tale of some sort. The lessons seem to vary quite a bit in
difficulty. The Upper beginner stuff I've not looked at in detail but the first few
lessons of the first season cover business Japanese. the Advanced lessons look like
blog entries to me.

If you can already understand (or nearly understand) Japanese TV and films, then I
think you are probably beyond the target that the teaching websites are aiming for and
you'll just use native materials and pick the stuff you like. I'm about to embark on
that odyssey myself, but I'll be picking the ones I can almost understand :-)

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 128 of 137
16 December 2013 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
A quick interim report as we're halfway through the last month of TAC 2013.

I've not yet tried to catch up with memrise. I may get back to it, but it's period of
instability and slowness put me off and I've found that Anki fills the gap more than
adequately for the moment.

I've added sentences and vocabulary for all of JPOD LI S3 and I've started on S4. I've
not done anything about intensive listening yet though.

I've watched all 12 episodes of 日本人の知らない日本語.

I've read 16 NHK EasyNews articles so far. I'm not going to stop at 21, I'll keep going
and see how long it takes to get to the stage where I'm only looking up one or two
words per article.

This discussion contains 137 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version