United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 49 of 137
04 April 2013 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:
What do you put into your Anki deck? Words? Sentences? Both?

I have a vocabulary deck (with various sub-decks) that goes from EN-JP words (or very
short sentences, mostly so I get to see the particles to use with a verb). The sub-
decks help me concentrate on (for example) a textbook chapter's vocabulary. The deck as
a whole is to cover N4 vocab plus textbook vocab plus random bits I pick up here and
there.

I also use corePLUS for vocabulary (this one goes from JP(kana)->EN).

I have a kanji deck that goes from word-in-kanji to kana + English. I'm using this one
for the reader I'm working through plus N4 kanji vocabulary.

I also have a small sentences deck, but I'm not using it at the moment. It's currently
set up to do EN->JP but I think I need to change that round. I probably need to see a
known correct JP sentence (with furigana for now) and work out a plausible EN sentence
to go with it.

Finally I have a grammar deck, but there's very little in that. I suspect that I'll be
better off merging that with the sentence deck and putting the grammar explanation on
the back of the card.

2 persons have voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 50 of 137
25 April 2013 at 7:59pm | IP Logged 
I seem to have failed to set specific goals for April, and I guess it's a little late
to do so now.

So all I can do is a summary.

I've kept up my reviews at RTK, without missing a single day so far. I've also kept up
reviews at memrise.com and using my Anki decks. As I now know the N5 and N4 vocab
pretty well, I've started (gently) working through the N3 course. I still need to
activate about half of the N4 kanji, but I think they're almost all covered by the Anki
deck I have anyway, so they shouldn't be much os a problem.

Although I've (intentionally) not looked at A Japanese Reader at all, I have read
through all of the speaking and reading sections of Japanese for Busy People II. I've
also found some (short) reading sections in the Minna No Nihongo exercises, so I'll
start to work through those systematically. As a result it feels like my reading speed
has increased over the last few weeks.

I've reached the end of Minna No Nihongo. I'm still thoroughly reviewing chapters in my
weekly tutorials and that will keep me going until after the N4 exam in July. Once I'm
through that then I'll need to find a new study course. I persauded work to order a
copy of the So-Matome N2 grammar book and it looks like a challenge so I'll see if
there is an N3 one available now.

I've kept up the audio during my commute and I think that the Intermediate series is a
little clearer 2nd time around. I'm not sure how much longer it will be before I
understand it properly though :-(. I've started to listen to NHK Easy News. I can
follow along (without understanding) on a first pass. To help with vocabulary I've
started to work through each article, SRSing new vocabulary and checking that I
understand (most) of what is being said.

Overall I think April has been a reasonably good month.

1 person has voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5772 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 51 of 137
25 April 2013 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
Well done on getting through Minna no Nihongo! You've probably covered all the fundamentals of Japanese now - most of the rest is just learning many more ways of saying the same thing. So welcome to the wide and wonderful world of the intermediate Japanese student.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4637 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 52 of 137
26 April 2013 at 6:18am | IP Logged 
I also add my congratulations on making it through Minna no Nihongo! おめでとう!

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 53 of 137
28 April 2013 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
Thank you @g-bod and @kujichagulia. I'm not quite done with MNN yet as I have to go back
and re-read until it all sticks in my head. But it does feel good to have made it through
to the end (or rather, the end of the beginning).

I'm managing to read my through NHK Easy News on most weekdays now: by which I mean I
look up all the vocabulary and can then get a good idea of what is going on. Given that
there are some scarily long modifying clauses in this news-for-kids I can only shudder at
what full blown adult Japanese must be like :-)

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4974 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 54 of 137
28 April 2013 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
You're another person who recommends easy news. I'm going to
have to try this out. Someone at my speech contest was telling me
yo use it. Nice job getting through your book. I always feel good after
doing that.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 55 of 137
30 April 2013 at 8:32pm | IP Logged 
kraemder wrote:
You're another person who recommends easy news. I'm going to
have to try this out. Someone at my speech contest was telling me
yo use it.

I've only been using it for a a few days but it seems to be helpful.

On my initial listening pass I pick up very little but after I've been through the
vocab and listen again (with the text in front of me) then I feel that I understand a
little more. I'm hoping that over time I'll "tune in" to the appropriate vocabulary
and grammar structures.

If nothing else then I'll be adding useful vocabulary.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 56 of 137
03 May 2013 at 12:56am | IP Logged 
Time to set some goals for May.

1. Keep up the Kanji reviews at Reviewing The Kanji.

2. Keep up with Anki reviews. I now have a (small) sentences deck and I'm mining JPOD
lessons and NHK Easy News for more vocabulary and sentences.

3. Keep the memrise N4 and N5 courses watered. I'll aim to keep the N4 retention rate
above 80% as I finish enabling the N4 kanji components. I aim to have all the
applicable N4 kanji enabled by the end of this month.

4. I'll continue to mine JPOD101 lessons for vocabulary and sentences. Specifically I
want to complete that process for the first 10 lessons of the Lower Intermediate Season

5. Thoroughly revise Lessons 1-15 in Minna No Nihongo. This means checking that all the
vocabulary is known or SRSed (including the reference sections) and checking all the
grammar (by doing all the exercises if necessary).

6. Keep the audio going. Hopefully if I mine the vocab for LI S2 and keep repeating the
season during the commute I should see some improvement.

This discussion contains 137 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version