Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 41 of 137
10 February 2013 at 12:33am | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
Rather than trying to burn through 22 chapters in 11 weeks, I think it
might be easier to try and work steadily and consistently, covering 1 chapter a week.

I find the most helpful thing to get motivated to do book work (apart from choosing a
good quality text in the first place) is my attitude when I open the text. If I'm
feeling relaxed and curious about what I'm going to learn, I have the best study
sessions. If I'm feeling rushed, anxious or uninspired, I get tired of book study a lot
quicker.

That's probably good advice. I'll change my goal (from March onwards) to get through
one chapter a week. As for February, I'll try to do two, but if I fall behind I won't
try to force myself to catch up.

I've decided to start by going through the next chapter on Monday, adding vocab to Anki
and giving myself a day to learn that. Then I'll try to cover a chapter on Tuesday and
Thursday (Wednesday I meet my tutor so there's not much time left over). Friday I'll
SRS the next chapter and then I'll go through the next one if I have time at the
weekend. If not, then it can wait until the following week.

I've no added a few extra columns to my spreadsheet so I can track how much time I
spend on audio, vocabulary, reading grammar and "other". Now that I can see on a day-
to-day basis that I'm not putting much into grammar, I'm finding it easier to avoid
putting off the bookwork.

I've also decided that I need to revise the grammar from MNN I somewhat more
thoroughly: I keep coming across snippets where I'm not sure of the exact grammar. So
I'm going to try to find a way of entering that into Anki. It took me an hour today to
get 1,2 & 26 done. From now on I'll add chapters as I do them, and catch up on the
others as I have time.

1 person has voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 42 of 137
10 February 2013 at 12:39am | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
Have you started looking at the passive yet?

I've come across it in various sources, but not yet in my textbook. Currently I'm
looking at the potential and then there's the causative; the passive is a few weeks
away yet.

g-bod wrote:
For listening, is the problem that you are not picking up vocab etc that
you already know, or is it just down to general lack of knowledge? If it's the former,
I found shadowing was surprisingly helpful.

For JPOD lessons it's quite often lack of vocabulary (theirs can be quite wide ranging
at times). For the JLPT stuff it can be that I miss key words of vocabulary. I think
I'm going to use the JPOD101 lessons and try some shadowing (as they conveniently
provide a transcript). I'm also going to try working through a season intensively,
learning the full vocabulary, making sure I understand every line. It'll take some
time, but as I'm now nearing the end of the as-yet-unlistened to audio from there, I
can put one or two dialog and review tracks into a playlist and listen to them on
shuffle as I commute.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 43 of 137
15 February 2013 at 3:05pm | IP Logged 
Has anyone got experience of moving from Anki 1 to Anki 2?

Obviously I'll back everything up first :-)

I particularly like the look of the sub-deck feature. It sounds like I could take all the
words with a given tag (which is usually vocab from a given textbook chapter) and shuffle
that off into a subdeck. I could then choose to review new chapters first but still do an
all-vocab review too.

Have I understood this feature properly?

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 44 of 137
08 March 2013 at 8:33pm | IP Logged 
I seem to have forgotten to review my February goals and to set some for March, so here
goes.

This is the review; the new goals will come next.

1. Keep up the Kanji reviews at Reviewing The Kanji . This I managed
without any trouble at all.

2. Keep up with Anki reviews. This too didn't give me any problems. In
fact I've added corePLUS to my list of decks to keep me busy.

3. Keep the memrise N4 and N5 courses watered. I kept the gardens fully
watered by the end of each week except the very last one. I'd done a bit more grammar
and simply forgot to come back to memrise and water everything. It didn't take long to
catch up.

Although I will track the amount of time I spend with Anki and memrise, I'm not going
to set any time goals. I want to see a retention rate of 60% or more for the N4 course,
and I'll put in extra time in March if that's not happening, but for now I'm just going
to keep to non-time-based targets. I've not measured the retention rate.
I'll try to do that in future.

4. Work on A Japanese Reader for 60m (this counts any vocabulary/kanji work required).
I've managed this, admittedly only by a whisker.

5. Work through two lessons of Minna No Nihongo each week. That means covering the
grammar points, going over the sentences and covering exercises A, B and C. I'll also
be adding the lesson vocabulary to Anki, although I may suspend the "supplemental"
vocabulary if that seems to be getting in the way. Despite my qualms over
this I have achieved that: I'm now on Chapter 41. I'm also going through one chapter a
week with my tutor - this is a refresh (i.e. it's chapters I've already covered) but,
obviously with a native speaker to hand, I get much better feedback. Plus I don't get
to say "No, I think I'll skip that exercise :-)

6. Keep the audio going. Once I've finished with the current JPOD101 Intermediate
series, I'll try the Audio Blog seasons. If that's too advanced to provide anything
meaningful, then I'll pick one of the other series I've yet to try (e.g. JLPT or
Particles). The audio did keep going. I've run out of audio (except for
the Advanced Audio Blog) so I'm thinking about working through lessons more
intensively.

This is the time breakdown by category:

Audio:      51:36
Vocabulary: 33:33
Reading:     5:07
Grammar:    25:03
Other:       1:52

Which category an activity goes into can sometimes be arbitrary.

Edited by dampingwire on 08 March 2013 at 8:38pm

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 45 of 137
08 March 2013 at 8:34pm | IP Logged 
Now the goals for March. These are similar to the February goals, but with a few
tweaks.

1. Keep up the Kanji reviews at Reviewing The Kanji.

2. Keep up with Anki reviews. I've added the corePLUS deck and I'm adding vocabulary
from Nihongo Challenge to my Kanji deck. I'll also be adding all the applicable N5 + N4
kanji vocabulary at some stage too. So although this goal appears to be unaltered,
there's more work involved here.

3. Keep the memrise N4 and N5 courses watered. Also keep the "Body Parts" and "N4
supplemental" courses watered too. Try to rack the retention rate on the N4 course: no
target for this month, just a session-by-session log so I can set appropriate goals
next time around.

4. A Japanese Reader will take a back seat for this month. I'm more interested in
learning the kanji needed for this summer's JLPT N4. Once I've done that (and maybe
added the N5+N4 vocab that uses N3/N2 kanji) I'll put this reader back into my goals. I
may still work on it in odd moments this month, I just don't want to have to stick to
a goal.

5. Work through one lesson of Minna No Nihongo each week.I'll certainly be doing one a
week with my tutor, so this means one a week on my own. If I find the time I'll try to
do more, but, again, I don't want to build an impossible schedule for myself.

6. Keep the audio going. I'll still listen to something (probably JPOD101) whenever I'm
commuting etc. However, I'm going to pick one lesson each week and work through it
intensively. I'll learn all of the vocabulary and all of the grammar and I'll listen to
the audio repeatedly until I'm confident that I understand every word. I'll also try to
understand all the the presenter's Japanese ad-libs, but that's a bonus, not a
requirement. I'll start with Beginner Season 2 (as I've been listening to that in the
car recently and there are plenty of new bits of vocabulary in there for me. I may
change season and/or level, but the goal is to completely mine at least one lesson each
week.

7. Try to update my weekly progress log on the following Monday and update my TAC log
monthly goals within a week or so of the end of the month :-)

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 46 of 137
20 March 2013 at 2:01pm | IP Logged 
I imagine most of you have seen this before, but it's new to me, so here goes.

Random browsing on the net led me here:

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/artshums/depts/mlc/olc/online/japanese. aspx

which then took me here:

https://www.erin.ne.jp/jp/

Once you start each "lesson" you can choose from:

動画の再生 - video playback
スクリpト - the script
マンガ - the episode in manga format
確認試験問題 - a set of comprehension questions

At each point you can have the text in natural Japanese (kana + kanji), just kana,
roumaji or English.

I've only just found it and I've yet to spend much time on it, but I can see this being
a truly excellent learning resource (for listening comprehension at least).

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 47 of 137
03 April 2013 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
Well March certainly flew by, so here's a review.

1. Keep up the Kanji reviews at Reviewing The Kanji. No problems with this
at all.

2. Keep up with Anki reviews.No issues here either. There is still some
vocabulary unreviewed, but that should all be covered by the end of April.

3. Keep the memrise N4 and N5 courses watered. Also keep the "Body Parts" and "N4
supplemental" courses watered too. Try to rack the retention rate on the N4 course.
I've managed to get into a groove and the memrise watering doesn't take
very long at all. For a while I was actually leaving it for a few days at a time so
that there was more to do rather than just 2 minutes per day. However I found that I
retain things more successfully if I do a little each day. For the last few days I've
started to activate the various knaji parts of the courses so my review times will
start to increase.

4. A Japanese Reader will take a back seat for this month. I'm more interested in
learning the kanji needed for this summer's JLPT N4. Once I've done that (and maybe
added the N5+N4 vocab that uses N3/N2 kanji) I'll put this reader back into my goals. I
may still work on it in odd moments this month, I just don't want to have to stick to
a goal. I worked through the Anki Kanji deck quite religiously. I've had
the occasional bad day, but mostly it's gone well. I didn't look at A Japanese Reader
at all, but I still think the time is better spent working through kanji at the moment.

5. Work through one lesson of Minna No Nihongo each week.I've been working
through the book quite actively now. I've not forced myself to do it when I've not felt
like it but I've still managed to reach nearly the end of the book now. I'll be going
through each of the 50 chapters again, some more intensively than others, to solidify
the knowledge but I think it's been very useful to have worked through each chapter so
that I know the "lay of the land" so to speak.

6. Keep the audio going. The audio has been kept going, at every possible
idle moment and not just the commute.
However, I'm going to pick one lesson
each week and work through it intensively. It sounded good, and it still
sounds good. However, real life intervened and there was always something else
(Japanese-related) that seemed (and may well have been) more important at the time.
Suddenly March was over :-). I'd printed out the first 10 lessons of Beginner Season 2
in readiness and they sat there untouched until tonight. That's when I realised I'd
have to write this post ... So I worked though those 10 lessons in about one hour -
that's how long it took to read the dialogs and add new vocabulary to Anki. So
hopefully that will kick-start me into doing this properly for April.

7. Try to update my weekly progress log on the following Monday and update my TAC log
monthly goals within a week or so of the end of the month :-) Oh dear!

So overall, not too bad. Plenty of work done and I certainly feel as though I'm
beginning to make progress. I'll try to organise some goals for April in the next day
or two. Probably :-)

2 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4637 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 48 of 137
03 April 2013 at 3:25am | IP Logged 
dampingwire wrote:
I imagine most of you have seen this before, but it's new to me,
so
here goes.

Random browsing on the net led me here:

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/artshums/depts/mlc/olc/online/japanese. aspx

which then took me here:

https://www.erin.ne.jp/jp/

Ah... Toyoda Eri (Erin) is a cutie... although she looks much older now.

What do you put into your Anki deck? Words? Sentences? Both?

Edited by kujichagulia on 03 April 2013 at 3:26am

This discussion contains 137 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version