Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5559 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 73 of 195
27 December 2012 at 9:40am | IP Logged 
The post above about the new generation of Manx speakers really made me smile, like a
slightly late Christmas present. I am also really pleased to see that Team Lugus has
steadily expanded over the last few weeks and it's almost at full capacity now. I
wonder whether Team Lugus can reach that point by the beginning of the challenge, maybe
even find a Welsh companion for Gosiak? If it were any other year that'd be me.

Good luck to you all,
Jack

Edit -

I used to play a computer game years ago called Metal Gear Solid, made by Konami. The
title song is loved by everyone who plays the game and my friends used to attempt to
sing it. They always messed it up horribly, to the point that for years I was not able
to recognise it as Celtic until I actually started playing the game myself, and one day
I cared enough to look it up - it's sung in Irish Gaelic. Here's a link
The Best is yet to come. I don't
speak Irish Gaelic at all so can't speak for the accuracy of the transcribed lyrics,
but I do understand isolated bits. Maybe I'd have understood more had I kept up my
Welsh as a kid. Sigh. This team is going to be a little bitter-sweet for me. I'll be
really happy you guys are getting on with your studies so well but I'll forever kick
myself that I didn't keep it up. Khublei, don't ever let any speakers of Irish Gaelic
you know drop it - they'll regret it as much I regret stopping Welsh.

Edited by LanguageSponge on 27 December 2012 at 9:59am

1 person has voted this message useful

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4471 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 74 of 195
27 December 2012 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
Hi all!
I've been hesitating for a few weeks before sending this message, but are you still accepting members? Having my family coming from Brittany (though none of the living members speaking Breton, living on the Eastern border of the brittophone area), I've been considering learning the language since I was a teen, received "Ni a gomz Brezhoneg" many years ago and have just been offered a Breton Assimil... and seeing a Celtic team has formed this year seems to be a sign that I must learn.

So if the team is still accepting new people, I would be most happy to have other Breton learners to share with.

(also interested in the other Celtic languages, living in the UK, but that won't be for now).

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4500 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 75 of 195
27 December 2012 at 5:17pm | IP Logged 
We are not full yet by the last count, and I would be happy to see another Breton
learner!

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5349 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 76 of 195
28 December 2012 at 1:52am | IP Logged 
@vermillon
Happy to have you aboard, and I've added you to our list of members on the first page now. It's great to have another Breton learner on the team! :)

@LanguageSponge
The Metal Gear Solid theme brought back happy memories; I never knew this beautiful song was in Irish till now though. And you're always welcome to post here and share your experiences of Welsh...we'll keep a place by the fire for you just in case. ;)

Edited by Teango on 28 December 2012 at 2:51am

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5349 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 77 of 195
28 December 2012 at 7:44am | IP Logged 
Here's an interesting story of aphasia posted earlier on the forum by rolf. It's about an 81-year-old man from Somerset who had a stroke and woke up speaking Welsh:

Stroke sees Englishman wake up speaking Welsh

It's always reassuring to hope that much of what we learn and practice in another language never really disappears after years of absence, but is just packed away in a little dusty suitcase up in our mental attic. ;)

Edited by Teango on 28 December 2012 at 7:46am

2 persons have voted this message useful

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5559 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 78 of 195
28 December 2012 at 9:37am | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
It's always reassuring to hope that much of what we learn and practice
in another language never really disappears after years of absence, but is just packed
away in a little dusty suitcase up in our mental attic. ;)

This is reassuring for me. I feel like my Welsh has died a bit more than I'm
comfortable with. It's an odd, slightly depressing experience watching old home videos
of yourself as a kid and finding there are (admittedly small) sections of speech, said
by your younger self, that you no longer understand. Someone a few years ago wrote here
about having forgotten their native language, which was in this case Spanish. I wrote
enthusiastically about my experiences with having lost Welsh, as I was at a stage in my
life at that time where I thought I'd be safe to revive it. It worked to some extent
and I was able to use it pretty well for a while, but then, for the same reasons I
stopped in the first place, I stopped again. I am going to have another go next year.

Jack

Maïwenn
Diglot
Groupie
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4162 days ago

56 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Mandarin, Breton

Message 79 of 195
30 December 2012 at 3:05am | IP Logged 
@Vermillion, donemat/degemer mat!

Excited that there will be three of us taking on Breton this year and there are so many members of Clan Lugus!

Happy end of year celebrations to all! :) Bloavezh mat ha yec'hed mat!

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4471 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 80 of 195
31 December 2012 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
@tarvos, Teango, Maïwenn: thanks! I'm really happy to start this adventure with you guys!

I've also started my log, in case the leader wants to add it to the list of logs.

This discussion contains 195 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version